Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RRHF: Mick & Keith Exhibit

Eric VB

I stopped in to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland over the weekend and saw their big exhibit, "Mick & Keith: 50 Years of Satisfaction".

Ok, ok. It was really called "Rolling Stones: 50 Years of Satisfaction".

I'd say 90% of the exhibit was devoted to Mick/Keith. Another 9% featured the non-Keith guitarists: Brian Jones ('62-'69), Mick Taylor ('69-'74) and Ron Wood ('75-today).

Lots of guitars and stage wear were on display. Charlie Watts was represented by a single display with his snare, a kick pedal, two cymbals and a pair of sticks. Ian Stewart's hulking mellotron took up a lot of floor space.

Since the exhibit was dedicated only to RockHall inducted members of the band, original (brief) members Dick Taylor (bass) and Tony Chapman (drums) are not represented. Nor is the current collaborator, bassist Darryl Jones. (Officially, the Stones are a 4-piece: Mick, Keith, Ron and Charlie.)

Wasnt there another Rolling Stone? Oh, yeah. There was this Bill Wyman chap. He was the bassist from 62 to 93. You know, when all their hits were recorded. What sort of memorabilia related to Bill do you suppose the RockHall saw fit to display?

Nothing.***

Bills big shining moment in the exhibit is the revelation that over time he became afraid to fly, so he bowed out of the band.

To be fair hes seen in the film on the 4th floor, circa 1963, and is mentioned by name when someone is interviewing audience members and asks them what they like best about each member. (Answer: his style, and Im pretty sure that referred to his clothing, not his musicianship.) All eight inducted members are given a brief introduction by way of a short bio of their childhood and where they grew up.

There are also listening stations (with headphones) in the exhibit. The only ones that point out actual personnel are used to contrast the contributions of the three non-Keith guitarists. Bass gets mentioned at least once on the station that shows how other genres of music were incorporated by the Stones in the disco-inspired example Miss You.

Its a nice Stones exhibit, but if youre hoping to see something about Bill or Darryl (or even Dick) you will be disappointed.

***To be fair I didnt inspect every scrap of paper on display, so its possible there may have been a note written by Bill. Still, not a single bass, not a single piece of stage wear.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not surprised that Darryl Jones isn't represented. Same with Chuck Leavell. Those guys are sidemen, and I kind of expect that of the RRHOF.

But to not have Bill Wyman represented in a reasonable fashion? That's shameful.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Well of course, all the kids know Mick and Keith. :rolleyes: Not much question they would be the focus.

Personally from what I've gathered about Bill, he probably couldn't give a flying fig about the exhibit or the Stones at this time anyhow. And I probably couldn't blame him.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

In Keith Richards' autobiography, he writes that the main reason he and Mick hooked up with Wyman was because Wyman was the only one of the three who had a decent amp.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

In Keith Richards' autobiography, he writes that the main reason he and Mick hooked up with Wyman was because Wyman was the only one of the three who had a decent amp.

One of my non-musician co-workers brought this up to me, and he seems to find this particular bit of trivia to be endlessly amusing. So much, that's brought up said trivia fact a number of times in conversation.

There are actually a good number of Stones recordings that don't feature Bill Wyman. Story has it that he wasn't too keen on the scene at the French villa where much of Exile on Main Street was recorded, so Keith Richards and Mick Taylor wound up playing bass on a number of tracks. And then there's the story of "It's only rock and roll but I like it", where Willie Weeks and Kenny Jones were reportedly brought in to do their best musical impression of Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts. I don't know if that particular story is true, but it does say something about the confidence level of Jagger and Richards in the musical ability of their band mates.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

The more senior among us may remember that in 1967 there were a few songs on the radio by the Stones from the album "Their Satanic Majesties Request". Some of you might know "She's A Rainbow". But another song that was on the charts was called "In Another Land" written and sung by Bill Wyman.

There are plenty of stories of how groups formed for equipment, or access to gigs, etc. No big deal - when you are young and starting out you do what you have to. Seems they would have bounced him if he was an issue. It also seems like he played the background role that the group wanted.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived