Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

An early b'day gift to me from me

Fred_C

Hey Gents,

I am gonna' hit the ripe old age of 65 in July. I was thinking about a Peerless guitar for my B'day. But, over the past few weeks I have been listening critically to my guitars. I really can't find fault with them.

So, I started thinking about an amp. Although my Roland Cube 40 sounds very much like its bigger parent the JC-120, I still yearn for the "organic" tone and touch sensitive response of tubes.

I bought an Ampeg. 15/7 watts, 112. According to the marketing verbiage and reviews, it has a nice clean tone which is very important to me and appears to be exactly what I've been looking for. Best of all, it was discontinued and MF is blowing them out @ $299. If you visit the Music 123 website, you'll see that they are still selling the amp at $599! A terrific value! An early happy b'day to me.

http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/19/001/602/254/DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_H75418_V.jpg

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Gents,

I am gonna' hit the ripe old age of 65 in July.

Sorry, but I just woke up & haven't cleared the fog from my brain or my eyes yet, but I skimmed this first sentence & thought you said you were gonna hit the pipe. Eight months out & you're working on your birthday gift? OK, but you don't really need any excuse to get a new guitar, or amp, or pedal. That said, at least 2 of my guitars have been birthday gifts to myself. Happy birthday, Fred, when it comes.

Scott Fraser

Is this the amp you scored for $299.99? :thu:

Ampeg GVT15-112 15W 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp at Musician's Friend

http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/18/001/602/474/DV016_Jpg_Large_H75418_with_switch_pedal.jpg

Looks to be a nice amp! And versatile, too. (Though most good tube amps are.) :cool:

______ [video:youtube]

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Is this the amp you scored for $299.99? :thu:

Yeah, Caev, That's the one. I think I just scored a terrific value. Like the Ibanez AF-125 for $699, when you see a deal like this, you gotta' pull the trigger.

I had been thinking about the Carvin Vintage 16 that you play or the Fender Super Champ X2 that I think Danny A. plays through. But, this seemed such a value that I couldn't resist.

Let us know how it sounds when it comes in Fred...and Happy Birthday even if it is a little early! Sounds like you got a great deal!

Hey Larry,

I know it's a really early B'day gift, but there was no guarantee that it would still be available in July.

Yeah, Caev, That's the one. I think I just scored a terrific value. Like the Ibanez AF-125 for $699, when you see a deal like this, you gotta' pull the trigger.

I had been thinking about the Carvin Vintage 16 that you play or the Fender Super Champ X2 that I think Danny A. plays through. But, this seemed such a value that I couldn't resist.

Your Ibanez AF-125 should sound GREAT through this Ampeg GVT15-112! That pairing and judicious use of the guitar's volume-knob should easily get you great Rockabilly, Rock, Blues, Country, Wes Montgomery-ish Jazz tones... ! :thu::cool:

For what it's worth, the Carvin amp that I have is a Vintage 33, a discontinued 33 watt, 4xEL84 'Class-A Push-Pull' version of the channel-switching Nomad 1x12 combo; it is similar to the 16 watt 2xEL84 Vintage 16 in many respects, and I believe they even share the same output-transformer.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hey Larry,

I know it's a really early B'day gift, but there was no guarantee that it would still be available in July.

Not to sound gruesome, but there's also no guarantee YOU'LL be available in July. So strike while the preverbial iron is HOT!

Oh, and happy birthday, too, P90.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Hey Larry,

Not to sound gruesome, but there's also no guarantee YOU'LL be available in July. So strike while the preverbial iron is HOT!

Whitefang

Very True! Tomorrow is guaranteed to no one. So, we should live for the moment. Carpe Diem!

Hey Larry,

Whitefang

Very True! Tomorrow is guaranteed to no one. So, we should live for the moment. Carpe Diem!

Fred, I have a pretty good feeling you'll get a lot of use out of that amp between now and next July, and you'll have many more years of enjoyment to come after your 65th! +1 You have to strike while the deal is hot! (if you get an erection that lasts more than 4 hours, call your doctor, until then, don't worry, be happy!)

Take care, Larryz

Your Ibanez AF-125 should sound GREAT through this Ampeg GVT15-112! That pairing and judicious use of the guitar's volume-knob should easily get you great Rockabilly, Rock, Blues, Country, Wes Montgomery-ish Jazz tones... ! :thu::cool:

For what it's worth, the Carvin amp that I have is a Vintage 33, a discontinued 33 watt, 4xEL84 'Class-A Push-Pull' version of the channel-switching Nomad 1x12 combo; it is similar to the 16 watt 2xEL84 Vintage 16 in many respects, and I believe they even share the same output-transformer.

Yeah, Caev. I was listening to it on YouTube and it sounded great, even through the mediocre speakers I have hooked up to my computer. I'm pretty excited about it. I put a lot of effort into the guitar and feel that I deserve a reward once in a while.

Sorry 'bout the confusion on the Carvin amp. I recall a long time ago we were discussing small amps and you posted a picture of the Vintage 16. I assumed that you owned it. My error.

Hey Larry,

Whitefang

Fred, I have a pretty good feeling you'll get a lot of use out of that amp between now and next July, and you'll have many more years of enjoyment to come after your 65th! +1 You have to strike while the deal is hot! (if you get an erection that lasts more than 4 hours, call your doctor, until then, don't worry, be happy!)

Brother Larry,

Yeah, chances are that I'll be around a while longer, but there are no guarantees.

BTW: If I had an erection that lasted more than 4 hours, I'd probably post it on the Web before calling my doctor.

Hey Gents,

I am gonna' hit the ripe old age of 65 in July.

Sorry, but I just woke up & haven't cleared the fog from my brain or my eyes yet, but I skimmed this first sentence & thought you said you were gonna hit the pipe.

Not entirely outside the realm of possibility.

Archived