Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PC3X key top ruined by a solvent - can it be re-coated?

JohnMtl

Hi People,

There was some gaffer tape glue on one of the keys of my PC3X and I wanted to clean it off but I screwed up r.o.y.a.l.l.y. Seems the keys have a sort of shiny coating on them and, instead of trying "Goof-Off" solvent on an inconspicuous area of the key, I went ahead and wiped the keytop with this stuff. That'll teach me... It ruined that coating, whatever it is and no the key is a matte finish and "feels" slippery like cheap plastic.

Question: Is there a way to repair / recoat the key; and what with? Otherwise I'll have to spend at Syntaur and buy a new key + take the board apart.

Thanks for any insight you may have.

John

"My Piano is therapy for me" - Rick Wright.

Gear: Kurzweil PC3X & K2500XS, Ensoniq ASR10, Scarbee VST's.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John,

Welcome to the forum. I doubt you can recoat the key to like-new satisfaction. I may be wrong, but that's my guess.

On the bright side, I have taken apart my PC361 and replaced a key (obviously, a different action entirely) and it was extremely easy and straightforward. I purchased my PC361 used from a fellow forum member and a key was cracked in transit (no fault of the seller). Bought a new key from Sweetwater for $5 or so, 10 minutes with a Phillips screwdriver and pliers, and bang good as new.

Chat w/ Kurz customer service or Sweetwater (or your local Kurzweil dealer) to get the lowdown on key replacement on the weighted "X" action and see if it is as easily field-replaceable as the unweighted 361 action.

My 0.02 and best of luck on getting it fixed.

Tim

John,

Welcome to the forum. I doubt you can recoat the key to like-new satisfaction. I may be wrong, but that's my guess.

Chat w/ Kurz customer service or Sweetwater (or your local Kurzweil dealer) to get the lowdown on key replacement on the weighted "X" action and see if it is as easily field-replaceable as the unweighted 361 action.

My 0.02 and best of luck on getting it fixed.

Tim

:thu: Yes, just buy a new key.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

John,

I doubt you can recoat the key to like-new satisfaction. I may be wrong, but that's my guess.

On the bright side, I have taken apart my PC361 and replaced a key (obviously, a different action entirely) and it was extremely easy and straightforward. Tim

Hi Tim and thanks for your reply. Yep, I doubt I could get it to look like new again. Its no big deal unless I decide to sell the PC3X some day. If I knew the coating, I would still try - I've nothing to lose at this point. Easiest thing is just buy a new key. Being an electronics techie by profession, its not a problem for me to service this board, especially a trivial key change. Rebuilding the K2500X's keybed & electronics - now THAT was a challenge!

John

BTW if was really 'gaffer' tape, it shouldn't leave any residue-

Hi Bill,

Well, there's good tape and then there's cheap tape. What we call "gaffer tape" around here is more like carpet tape; the cheap kind "made in china" :)

Easiest thing is just buy a new key. Being an electronics techie by profession, its not a problem for me to service this board, especially a trivial key change.

John

Another idea would be to move the damaged key to one end of the keyboard (where you don't play as much. Probably not worth the effort if you can get a new key for a few dollars.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Well, there's good tape and then there's cheap tape. What we call "gaffer tape" around here is more like carpet tape; the cheap kind "made in china" :)
Then don't let people call it gaffer tape. You just confuse the rest of us. Silly Canadians. ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Then don't let people call it gaffer tape. You just confuse the rest of us. Silly Canadians. ;)

Yep, silly we are at times. Just look at our real estate bubble! "Yes but its different here" will be the usual excuse for not learning from those who experienced it before us.

Conversely, to maintain continuity you could introduce the remaining 87 keys to the carpet tape/solvent experience.

:D

Ahh yes, a PX-5S faux finish!

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Archived