Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Untangle my fingers please

slowfinger

How would you finger this:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd285/jimmaunder/icons/heroesclip_zps0bf3b12b.jpg

It should be easy but I can't get my slow fingers around it.

It's from 'Heroes' by David Bowie. I've lifted the clip from a PowerTab.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 fret per finger with the 2nd finger on the 3rd fret (G)...

G-2nd(finger), B-1st, G-2nd, C-2nd, G-2nd, C#-3rd, G-2nd, D-4th.

That's the one I'd use but I'd add a pressure roll to fret the C with my second finger but not actually pick the whole finger up off of the G but instead use the first knuckle. The finger tip remains anchored to the G - h/t to Ed Friedland.

I probably do something like what SuStudio said, but I'd play

2nd 1st, barre 2nd 2nd, 2nd 3rd, 1st 4th to avoid keeping my hand in the stretched out position.

Of course with the right hand fingers it would be alternating with my first finger playing all the G's and my second finger playing the rest.

Thanks for including the notation.

btw, what is the tempo of this music? I'm playing it at around 130 right now.

That's the one I'd use but I'd add a pressure roll to fret the C with my second finger but not actually pick the whole finger up off of the G but instead use the first knuckle. The finger tip remains anchored to the G - h/t to Ed Friedland.

Yes I would do that too and what I was trying to get at.

I tried this at home to confirm the fingering and found myself lifting my finger off of the final G after playing it and pivoting off my thumb to hit the D.

I did find I had a tendency at times to want to play the C# with my 4th finger as in G2, C#4 G2, D4. That fingering although a bit more comfortable however wasn't as efficient and I tended to jumble up. So I stick with my original fingering along with the thumb pivot on the D.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Like the rest I'd try finger rolling the G-C-G passage first. That's what finger folling is for. (Barre for higher speeds but at slower speeds barring makes it harder to play staccato.)

If that didn't work out so well I'd be tempted to play everything as before except play the C natural with my ring finger. Theoretically this should be less efficient so it would not work as well at higher tempos. However, it may make for a more controlled staccato than rolling.

The other alternative, based on what comes next, would be to play the D as an open string. This would be most helpful if the next passage required a shift.

btw, what is the tempo of this music? I'm playing it at around 130 right now.

I think the sheet says 116 - but listen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgcc5V9Hu3g&feature=kp

The passage is fairly clear at about 15s.

I tried the above suggestions a bit last night - but I felt off so I left it alone. However, I think I'll get it with a bit of practice.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

Archived