Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Harry Connick Jr and a French audience

MAJUSCULE

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He fell flat on his face when the band chimed in live , and the wheels fell off his playing , and that's all there is to it.

Dunno, I think I have to concur with the others. Have you ever seen him play live? He's rather good! In this clip it really sounds like he's trying to throw an anchor overboard and reign in the rest of the band, and it didn't quite work. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a dogs breakfast (awesome metaphor, tho), especially considering the switcheroo he pulled over earlier in the clip.

I guess everyone's a critic.

He's one of the top guys at New Orleans style piano playing. You can tell he's trained by his technique also which is more than I can say for a lot of people out there. Check this out from Wikipedia:

Connick's musical talents soon came to the fore when he started learning the keyboards at age three, playing publicly at age five, and recording with a local jazz band at ten.[13] When Connick was nine years old, he performed the Piano Concerto No. 3 Opus 37 of Beethoven with the New Orleans Symphony Orchestra (now the Louisiana Philharmonic), and later played a duet with Eubie Blake at the Royal Orleans Esplanade Lounge in New Orleans. The song was "I'm Just Wild About Harry". This was recorded for a Japanese documentary called Jazz Around the World.[13][15] The clip was also shown in a Bravo special, called Worlds of Harry Connick, Junior. in 1999. His musical talents were developed at the New Orleans Center for Creative Arts and under the tutelage of Ellis Marsalis and James Booker.

Connick attended Jesuit High School, Isidore Newman School, Lakeview School, and the New Orleans Center for Creative Arts, all in New Orleans. Following an unsuccessful attempt to study jazz academically, and having given recitals in the classical and jazz piano programs at Loyola University, Connick moved to the 92nd Street YMHA in New York City to study at Hunter College and the prestigious Manhattan School of Music, where a Columbia Records executive Sr. V.P. of A&R, Dr. George Butler, persuaded him to sign with that label. His first record for the label, Harry Connick Junior., was a mainly instrumental album of standards. He soon acquired a reputation in jazz because of extended stays at high-profile New York venues. His next album, 20, featured his vocals and added to this reputation.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

The problem with live performances today is that too many people want them to be perfect. :rolleyes: I think they could use a lot more of the wheels falling off. :rawk:

For starters, everyone should see a Jon Brion show. This is absolutely worth 10 minutes of your day today. :cool:

[video:youtube]

I've only seen HC Jr two times (The Red Light Blue Light tour) once at Red Rocks - awesome show - and then about 6 months later at Bally's in Vegas. This clip here shows me how much he has matured in enjoying his audience. The Bally's show in Vegas was a room full of folks probably mostly AARP age and if they were into the show you couldn't tell. The Red Rocks show was like 3 hours & the Bally's one was a little over an hour, I think HC cut it short because no one was responding. We were sitting pretty close & I heard him say to the band after ripping out a nice piano solo with no audience response "that really wowed 'em".
Yamaha P22 Upright / Nord Stage 2 SW73

The problem with live performances today is that too many people want them to be perfect. :rolleyes: I think they could use a lot more of the wheels falling off. :rawk:

For starters, everyone should see a Jon Brion show. This is absolutely worth 10 minutes of your day today. :cool:

+1000. Far too few chances taken in most pop music shows.

If someone gave me a choice of seeing any show for free (including plane fare) I would choose one of Brion's free-for-all's at Largo. He is a serious musician who still finds fun in music.

Pretty sure we discussed this in a thread years ago, but I LOVE his film scores.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I thought you were better than that uncle cygnus .

Man, that was a huge mistake. I'm actually far worse than that. :laugh:

When Connick was nine years old, he performed the Piano Concerto No. 3 Opus 37 of Beethoven with the New Orleans Symphony Orchestra (now the Louisiana Philharmonic)

I think he was actually 14 the first time. He played several times, including once when I was in the orchestra. By that time (89-91) he was already well known regionally if not nationally and doing his non-classical stuff. Previously, The New Orleans Symphony had a Concerto competition and Harry won it, he did a Mozart Concerto.

Slightly OT but not really: when I was in the N.O. Symphony, it was poorly managed and headed for collapse (which it did). There was a "Gala Ball" near the end, to raise some money. The guest artist was Harry Connick. They have the cocktails, serve the food and it's time for the guest artist. Out walks Harry Connick. Senior. :o:laugh::rolleyes::rawk:

Needless to say, some people were quite pissed about this. The ads just said "Harry Connick". HC Sr. was the DA in New Orleans, a very controversial politician. He was a pretty decent singer and did it on a quasi-pro level, but many in the audience were expecting Junior.

+1000. Far too few chances taken in most pop music shows.

If someone gave me a choice of seeing any show for free (including plane fare) I would choose one of Brion's free-for-all's at Largo. He is a serious musician who still finds fun in music.

Pretty sure we discussed this in a thread years ago, but I LOVE his film scores.

:thu:

The difference being , this was executed with professionalism and musical direction on the day - not cocked up with an embarrassing pile of dogpoo junk MISTAKES that sound worse than amaturish in the middle of the song.

Can't pull the wool over my ears.

Brett

Did Harry bang your girlfriend of something?

Sure, that section was a little lumpy, but the take was a cluster≈µ¢k as soon as the audience joined in. It probably won't make it to a CD, so you'll need another way to keep the rats off your phone line. Does that really work? Is that really a problem? Rats around here aren't that acrobatic and I don't think they don't know $#!t about music.

Sounds to me like you've been smoking whatever Theo smokes.

And kids, stay off drugs. :rawk:

Drink responsibly. Finish your beer.

:snax:

--wmp

The real hilarious part is from 1:25 - 2:00 , what a bunch of BS Dogs Breakfast piano that is! - the jokes on him :D.

EVERYONE knows it's f**ked , including Harry and the audience.

He's good , but not a single mention in the comments , of his complete botchup of barker's eggs at 1:25-2:00 in this video.

His fans have rose tinted ears made of rubber :).

He's good , but not a single mention in the comments , of his complete botchup of barker's eggs at 1:25-2:00 in this video.

His fans have rose tinted ears made of rubber :).

Brett

What exactly don't you like about that part? Sounds ok to me. 1:25 to 2:00 might be a little loose, but seems in context to me. I thought it was very cool the way he turned the time around at the beginning of his piano solo, turning 1 and 3 claps into 2 and 4

A terrible and embarrassing clashing of his and the bands 2 different rhythm/timings - and on top of that , poor and obtuse playing on his part(the boy couldn't play at all).

It's the worst bit of train wreck I've heard in years.

He should have listened and very quickly adapted to the vibes of the cooking band - firing on all cylinders with a swing like beat , but he was lost in the woods for a painfully long time .

The audience , slightly out of kilter with their claps , were the least of his worries.

Would you like me to write down here what I Really think?
Well , from 1:25 - 2:00 at least sounded like a pile of aborted dogshit done by a bad piano player - or definitely bad on that day at least.

I would use the CD to stop the rats from running along our telephone line , and that's about it.

Even his audience knows somethings wrong.

Hows that? :).

The difference being , this was executed with professionalism and musical direction on the day - not cocked up with an embarrassing pile of dogpoo junk MISTAKES that sound worse than amaturish in the middle of the song.

Can't pull the wool over my ears.

My point here isn't to slam you nor to defend Mr. Connick's playing in the clip. My point is to ask why you said the first three quotes, then asked "Would you like me to write down here what I Really think?", and then say the same thing you've been saying since the beginning. IOW, you either have been telling us all along what you really think, or you have not. :) In either case,

:deadhorse:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

seriously, it was a little "Train wreckish" but we've ALL had 'em...I've heard (and participated in) WAY worse.....

Agreed...I'd be mortified if someone posted my worst passages on YouTube. With respect to the original issue, I think the passage that BrettyMike is complaining about is a little cliché, but I would be grateful to have the same vocabulary of tricks that Mr. Connick has (and I'm not a fan, but he is a few levels above me regardless of my taste.) I forgive the timing issues between him and the band considering the crowd participation.

The elephant in the room is that it's easy to dismiss him because he is a bit on the heart-throb end of the spectrum, but that should really be factored out.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Archived