Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Harry Connick Jr and a French audience

MAJUSCULE

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's a really good piano player and I never thought a while back. His voice was a little thin to me but he can really play and write. 20 years ago my old band did some of his tunes of the funk album he put out.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

It's difficult to tell with everyone off time, but it seems his band was swingin' when Harry was rockin'. It's a mess, alright, but I do believe he was deliberately trying to rein in the drummer.

Here for the gear.

He's good , but not a single mention in the comments , of his complete botchup of barker's eggs at 1:25-2:00 in this video.

His fans have rose tinted ears made of rubber :).

Brett

What exactly don't you like about that part? Sounds ok to me. 1:25 to 2:00 might be a little loose, but seems in context to me. I thought it was very cool the way he turned the time around at the beginning of his piano solo, turning 1 and 3 claps into 2 and 4

He's good , but not a single mention in the comments , of his complete botchup of barker's eggs at 1:25-2:00 in this video.

Brett

What exactly don't you like about that part? Sounds ok to me. 1:25 to 2:00 might be a little loose, but seems in context to me. I thought it was very cool the way he turned the time around at the beginning of his piano solo, turning 1 and 3 claps into 2 and 4

A terrible and embarrassing clashing of his and the bands 2 different rhythm/timings - and on top of that , poor and obtuse playing on his part(the boy couldn't play at all).

It's the worst bit of train wreck I've heard in years.

He should have listened and very quickly adapted to the vibes of the cooking band - firing on all cylinders with a swing like beat , but he was lost in the woods for a painfully long time .

The audience , slightly out of kilter with their claps , were the least of his worries.

Brett.

A terrible and embarrassing clashing of his and the bands 2 different rhythm/timings - and on top of that , poor and obtuse playing on his part(the boy couldn't play at all).

He should have listened and very quickly adapted to the vibes of the cooking band - firing on all cylinders with a swing like beat , but he was lost in the woods for a painfully long time .

The audience , slightly out of kilter with their claps , were the least of his worries.

Brett.

I would just call it a bit loose rather than what you called it. To me it just sounds like HC's playing behind the beat (deliberately) at 1:25 for a few bars.

Brett

Brett.

So.. you've never heard an authentic New Orleans piano player before, huh?

Oh, and that "cookin' band" is HIS band, and they're all damn happy to have the gig.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

To me he was just playing greasy on purpose. (Behind the beat as Floyd and Lonnie alluded.) Notice how much "tighter" his time was when he was playing solo.

My drummer is from NOLA and we work pretty hard at getting that greasy vibe.

Paging FunkKeysStuff... Paging FunkKeysStuff... You're wanted in the Nawlins aisle.

Does Harry know what he's doing? :wave:

Hell yeah. I dig a lot of what he's done, including that clip. But if other people don't, I have no interest in trying to change their minds. I can think of lots more fun things to do.

"Come By Me", which he wrote. It was the title track to one of his big band oriented releases, I believe. Even with the "loose" section I totally dug this. The man can play. Thanks for posting this majuscule.

Thanks.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Brett

Brett.

So fire up the video camera and demonstrate to us how YOU would have done it so we understand what you're talking about.

:snax:

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Well , from 1:25 - 2:00 at least sounded like a pile of aborted dogshit done by a bad piano player - or definitely bad on that day at least.

I would use the CD to stop the rats from running along our telephone line , and that's about it.

Even his audience knows somethings wrong.

Hows that? :).

Flowery, but it sounds to me like you don't know what the Hell you're talking about, Mate.

This dude has ~30 albums, a film career, a touring band, and a supermodel wife. Please direct us to a modern (Australian?) piano player who is better..

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

If you can't be true to YOURSELF , and hear what's obviously wrong - there's no hope.

He fell flat on his face when the band chimed in live , and the wheels fell off his playing , and that's all there is to it.

The song was supposed to go like this >

.....but he tried something different and stuffed it up big time.

(What the fork has a "supermodel wife" got to do with anything?? :D ).

Here's another live version he hasn't destroyed on the day , and it's top notch (1000x better) and what he should have stuck to above >

Get the (sound) picture folks?

Brett

Archived