Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A String jumped the gun!

whitefang

The "Douchiest guitar players" thread was closed due to A String claiming it was because of politics.

All I recall was people griping because TED NUGENT gives what they think are oddball, provacative political opinions. Not the same thing in MY book.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a very strict, "No Religion, no Politics" rule here, whitefang. The thread was quickly on it's way to devolving into a political discussion. If you want to discuss politics or religion, there are plenty of forums out there where you can do that.

We look at this place as a little "safe haven" from the partisanship politics that has been taking over the rest of the Internet, as of late.

Fang, it took a turn when flamethrowing TV political talk personalities were brought into the mix. I support all of A String's & Bluesape's work to keep this place respectful & relaxed. It can't be an easy task. I get plenty worked up just reading the news, so it's nice that this forum can be a place to take some time off from the drama of the nation's problems.
Scott Fraser

I like it unpolitical and non religious as well. I did not revisit the thread after I posted on it so I don't know what is going on there. But I agree, unpolitical and non religious is the way I prefer it.....

Fang, it took a turn when flamethrowing TV political talk personalities were brought into the mix.

Pretty much this. I take responsibility for the way the thread turned, since I was the one who was specifically bringing up Ted's political leanings and how that related to my opinion of him.

I've been a mod at another forum for a while now. I never criticize what any mod or admin does anymore, 'cause it's a pretty thankless task.

Truth, verily 'n' forsooth. :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

To be fair, I'd prefer to see individual posts and posters handled instead of entire threads, =BUT= I'm being awfully generous with time the Forum's volunteer Mods and Admins probably don't have by the bucket... ;)

I do spambanning on another forum. The other mods thank me, but nobody else does...

(...because nobody knows I'm doing it except the mods)

But yeah- pretty much thankless,

So, thanks A String!

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I found the thread's premise too silly and and groundless to read deeply into it, but I assure you all that if I had seen it taking the turn Craig saw, I would have yanked it too.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Further on this, we mods seem to have acquired the knack of sensing early on when a thread is going bad. Craig made the right call, before anybody got their idealogical panties in a knot. No point in letting a bad thread do any more damage.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I've been a mod at another forum for a while now. I never criticize what any mod or admin does anymore, 'cause it's a pretty thankless task.

Nah. Jim and Craig are both very supportive. We get plenty of thanks behind the scenes, in those super-secret Mod-Only areas. You shoulda seen the Ape at last year's Christmas party! :D :D :D

Nah. Jim and Craig are both very supportive. We get plenty of thanks behind the scenes, in those super-secret Mod-Only areas. You shoulda seen the Ape at last year's Christmas party! :D :D :D

If I'm correct I believe it started off with "one day at band camp... " and it went downhill from there! ;)

If I'm correct I believe it started off with "one day at band camp... " and it went downhill from there! ;)

"Instruments in... such funny places... ?!" :D

And we're not even mentioning where the mistletoe was!!

Hey now, I caught a cab home before all that s*** happened...

Thanks guys.

One thing I can say is, Reif, Griff and the other mods here all do a great job. This place is fairly drama free thanks to their hard work. Luckily, we are often thanked on this forum for the job we do.

Also; I take no issue with Whitefang's comments (although I do wish you had contacted me through PM first). Everyone has an opinion on where that line in the sand needs to be. For me though, I've seen far too many members leave and never return because of comments made and things getting out of hand. Now I try to catch things when they are right on the cusp of getting bad. Try to avoid as much hardship as possible.

Hey now, I caught a cab home before all that s*** happened...

________ http://s3files.core77.com/blog/images/2013/03/PaulCocksedge-TheVamp-mid-photobyMarkCocksedge.jpg

Thanks guys.

One thing I can say is, Reif, Griff and the other mods here all do a great job. This place is fairly drama free thanks to their hard work. Luckily, we are often thanked on this forum for the job we do.

Also; I take no issue with Whitefang's comments (although I do wish you had contacted me through PM first). Everyone has an opinion on where that line in the sand needs to be. For me though, I've seen far too many members leave and never return because of comments made and things getting out of hand. Now I try to catch things when they are right on the cusp of getting bad. Try to avoid as much hardship as possible.

All I can say is that you are correct about how I should have reached you by PM. But I can't about the rest.

I saw NO political disagreement in the thread. What I recall is there being TOTAL agreement that Nugent should keep his mouth shut. And I've heard that same sentiment from people I know personally that AGREE with his political stances.

I'm in total agreement that political discussion can lead to singed butts and hurtful comment. I've seen it here in the older days, and elsewhere on other forums. I also agree that being a Mod seems like a thankless job. I only stress my preferrence that a thread GET there before any lockdown cometh.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived