Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official MLB 2014 Thread

Geoff Grace

Now that the 2013 MLB season is in the books, let's take a look ahead...

All you need to know: MLB rumors, news roundup for Nov. 16

Replay rules still to be drafted

Source: SS Drew leaving Red Sox

And a look back...

Cabrera, McCutchen win MVPs

Kershaw, Scherzer win Cy Youngs

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It won't be hard for this guy to repeat:

http://blu.stb.s-msn.com/i/53/BA28532E346D5E358B93EF1468F2DD.gif

Forget A-Rod, Miggy is the greatest player of this era, and barring a premature end to his career, one of the greatest of any era. Of course, that's what people were thinking about A-Rod 5 or 6 years ago.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Speaking of Miggy, it was big of him to volounteer to go to third, drop some weight, and be a reasonable (just slightly below average) third baseman...real class...

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

For the sake of a little housekeeping, here's a quote of a post that Dave Ferris made yesterday in last season's thread:

.... was totally baffled up at the plate all through the LA series and then against Boston. Ditto for Freese for the entire post season. I have a feeling they might try to deal him off in the winter..

Did I call that or what ?! :laugh:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/stl/st-louis-cardinals-acquire-peter-bourjos-from-los-angeles-angels-for-david-freese?ymd=20131122&content_id=64140386&vkey=news_stl

And it's not even "winter" yet. I wish he didn't have to go. He will always be etched in Cardinal yore for the 2011 WS game 6 & 7 heroics. Down to our last strike. Wow that was really something !

I don't follow the Angels that much...except to see Albert stiff..lol...but Bourjos seems to be highly regarded.

I wish we could've shored up our SS position better but I understand Mozeliak's reluctance to part with any of those young pitchers. They're not talking about it but maybe Furcal can make a comeback. That would be cool to see.

As it stands right now though, they plan on moving Carp to 3rd and giving the kid Kolton Wong a shot at 2nd.

Looks like Beltran's not coming back.. :(

Best,

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing that makes Ellsbury worth that kind of money is that he might have some upside, since he hit 30 homers a couple years ago. He might be one of these rare speed-and-defense guys who matures into a power-defense-and-still-some-speed guys. If not, then he's way overpaid by a team that currently holds the worst contract in history (A-Rod).

Once again, the A's are making sneaky moves that could later look brilliant. They got 2 top shelf relieves without giving up anything. They got Craig Gentry, who has been hidden in a drawer in Texas but should be the full time leadoff hitter somewhere. And then there's Kazmir, which is a gamble much like Colon was a gamble.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

• 5 months later...
Sad day for Dodgers and Athletics fans: :(

Former pitcher Bob Welch dies at 57

Best,

Geoff

sad and scary. 57 is too young

taken from MLB.com

"A subsequent release from the Dodgers, Welch's first employer, stated the cause of death was a heart attack. There had been no indication of heart weakness or trouble. Welch's death was quite unexpected."

:nopity:

Our world down here in San Diego has been turned upside down by the untimely passing of Mr. Padre Tony Gwynn this AM from cancer.

Tony almost hit .400 in the strike shortened season of '94, and he hit over .300 in 19 consecutive seasons. He hit .324 at the age of 41 in 2001. He did this all while wearing the same #19 for the same team, our San Diego Padres.

San Diego and possibly all of MLB will never see the likes of someone like him again.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Our world down here in San Diego has been turned upside down by the untimely passing of Mr. Padre Tony Gwynn this AM from cancer.

and at the untimely age of 54. man oh man, what is going on?

:nopity:

and at the untimely age of 54. man oh man, what is going on?

He had oral cancer from chewing tobacco. Really aggravating.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

• 1 month later...

I actually have reason to hope for 2015. Cespedes has the potential to pound the Monster all day and night, after exiting the pitcher's park that was the Oakland Coliseum. Adding him to Jackie Bradley Jr gives us easily the best defensive OF in the majors right now.

The lineup is a big pile of question marks - can Middlebrooks find the form that motivated them to trade Youk last year? With X-man moving back to short, does he relocate his confidence at the plate? Will Holt prove to be a legit leadoff man long-term? Can Pedroia figure out how to hit a fastball again?

If the answer to even half those questions is "Yes", then run production shouldn't be an issue next year.

• 1 month later...

ESPN now has the recap up:

Royals eliminate A's on Salvador Perez's walk-off single in 12th

I thought when the A's got Jon Lester that they'd go deep into the playoffs; and of course, the Royals hadn't even made it to the postseason in 29 years. But they made it this year and advanced tonight in a hard-fought game. Well done. :thu:

Best,

Geoff

Archived