Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A tale of two craigslist ads

I'm not promoting these ads but I found them interesting.

First I read about this Kronos. Seems like a fair price?

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/4197063257.html

Then I happen to see this ad?

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/4196149829.html

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see a lot of Tritons for sale for stupid amounts of money. I think that usually it's just people who are not "up" on the market or current technology, and think that just because they spent an extra $600 for their SCSI drive and 64Mb in 1999, that they should be able to get $500 for it today.

Also, people often get confused about the difference between "vintage/desirable" and "old."

There was a TEX 88 here on Craigslist a while back for $800...much more like it.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Ebay has become the same way. I love descriptions like, "perfect working order, except two keys don't work, one of the knobs is missing, the mod wheel is stuck in the down position, you have to jiggle the power cord a little to get it to turn on, and the display is faded out on one side." After all that, it's still priced $500 higher than it should be.

Ebay has become the same way. I love descriptions like, "perfect working order, except two keys don't work, one of the knobs is missing, the mod wheel is stuck in the down position, you have to jiggle the power cord a little to get it to turn on, and the display is faded out on one side." After all that, it's still priced $500 higher than it should be.

...and most items described as "mint" are not.

Stuff and things.

It might be "mint" but it's kind of like the Christmas mint that you find on the bottom of your closet because it fell out of a coat pocket 5 years ago, and you've been stacking slushy boots on top of it, and mice came and nibbled on it but then died right next to it.
Come out with your hands up! I have a synthesizer, and I'm not afraid to use it.

...and most items described as "mint" are not.

agreed . Thats a giveaway for ' not mint '.

I have had success selling all my old keys( triton, Extreme, moss, RD700's, XS7) on CL.

I stated no bottom feeding and that there would be no replies to phishy emails. The serious buyers got to see and demo the boards and I got a fair cash price.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Its interesting because when I find old M-1s for example sometimes they need work. Case in point early this year my guitarist and I went to get an M-1 from a pawn shop. The guy wanted $450.00 for it. I wheeled and dealed with him because of how old the keyboard was, gas to get there, and replacing a broken key. He went down to $300.00 which was nice and made the trip to Syracuse NY worth it. Sometimes with used gear you have get problems and believe me in the last ten years of dealing with older gear I have inherited problems off Craigslist and EBay that I thought I could fix. It can be a bitch to get rid of if its a bad mother board. Too many people that sell this stuff dont realize the worth of it.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

When I say MINT I mean MINT. I'm trying to sell my Kronos 61 and I guess nobody believes that the board is in perfect condition. It's here and on my local CL. It's been 28 days and not one bite.

It's less than a year old and has never left my house. No dust, no finger prints, no scratches, extremely low playing hours.

So I guess I'll give it to my daughter for XMAS, she's 25 and hasn't played in years, maybe this can change that...I hope.

Paul

I do not know how anyone expects to sell gear without photos.
Generally, I agree. However, when I saw the listing for the piano I eventually bought, he had no photos. I spoke with him on the phone, generally trusted him, and he mentioned that he was moving and had a contract on his house. I looked up his address on the local realtor database and found it. In the interior photos was a piano, so I knew there was at least some kind of piano in the place. Heck, I drove over an hour to see and play the piano and it ended up being the right one!

Also funny was that the listing was a bit of a hard sell.

This is a grade A mint condition piano. No dings,scratches, dents. Looks new/feels new and is immaculate. I dare you to get a piano like this at better price in this condition. Absolute mint condition!!!!!

So who knows. Sometimes ones that might turn you off could be the right one. :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

This is a grade A mint condition piano. No dings,scratches, dents. Looks new/feels new and is immaculate. I dare you to get a piano like this at better price in this condition. Absolute mint condition!!!!!

So who knows. Sometimes ones that might turn you off could be the right one. :idk:

I guess the only thing left to do for a competing craigslist ad would have been to double-dog-dare you.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived