Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What year is it?

Dave Bryce

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's 2013, an epic year for me. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Most of the good has been the GAS. New stuff in this picture includes the Baldwin 243, Hammond B3, Clavinet E7, Kurzweil PC3K8, Midas Venice F32.

http://B3and88.com/img/2013gas.jpg

The Vent is on the floor by the Hammond. The Casio PX-5s is by the door in a gig bag. Four QSCs K8 in the closet.

Where do you sleep? I don't see *any* space on the floor....

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Under the B3. Pillow against the expression pedal. Yes, the bass pedals are at the warehouse. :)

Under your piano looks pretty comfortable. :thu:

:D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I don't mind the retro keyboard thing, but personally have no interest in rolling back the clock to the days before patch memory.

Some of us cut our teeth on modulars. Really built my chops on those things.

I don't think it is a "retro" thing at all. These things generate Authentic sounds, not some modeled or triggered sample. I understand the reason for patches on ROMplers, but with these synths/organs a little bit of knowledge of subtractive synthesis goes a very long way.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

A Micromoog or a Satellite would have cost something comparable to the Sub Phatty.... :D

Meh. Moogs in name only... :rolleyes::idea:

dB

Ha ha. You're probably right, but when you're 16 and your only synth is an FBT Synter 2000, I can assure you that *anything* sporting the Moog name would be a godsend. :D

A Micromoog or a Satellite would have cost something comparable to the Sub Phatty.... :D

Ha ha. You're probably right, but when you're 16 and your only synth is an FBT Synter 2000, I can assure you that *anything* sporting the Moog name would be a godsend. :D

Especially in the hands of someone who knows how to use 'em, judging from your clips on the "Lead Synth" thread... :thu:

Why do I feel like I'm in the 70s? :confused:

I think what it means is that it won't be long before a lot of us are in our 70s....

Ouch... :eek::facepalm:

dB

Yeah.... I believe that I just moved upward in the age category for surveys.

All the more reason to buy a badass analog synth, and quickly... like a "Son of 4-Voice" :idea:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

dB

OTOH, when your first two Moogs are a Sonic 6 and a Mini.... :D:wave:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

First Synthesizer: Satellite (1978). (yeah, I thought I was buying a Moog).

First Moog: Mini. (1980)

First ARPs: Pro Soloist (1979, after the disappointing Satellite), Solus (1983)

I wish I had 3 of them. Sigh.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

The Sub Phatty does have patch memory. 16 presets.

Wow, I didn't know that.

I am a non-tech guy, but in 2013, how do you find a chip (or whatever) that can only store 16 synthesizer presets? Do you have to poke around on ebay for chips from the days of yesteryear? How much memory is required to store 16 Sub Phatty presets - 16K? 32K?

Sorry - don't mean to be ornery, but a synth with only 16 presets is rather silly, isn't it? It's like cellphone that can store 16 numbers. I mean, really?

I guess it is better than the Oberheim OB-1 I had in 1980 that could only store eight presets.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

The Sub Phatty does have patch memory. 16 presets.

Wow, I didn't know that.

I am a non-tech guy, but in 2013, how do you find a chip (or whatever) that can only store 16 synthesizer presets? Do you have to poke around on ebay for chips from the days of yesteryear? How much memory is required to store 16 Sub Phatty presets - 16K? 32K?

Sorry - don't mean to be ornery, but a synth with only 16 presets is rather silly, isn't it? It's like cellphone that can store 16 numbers. I mean, really?

I read an explanation by Amos of Moog somewhere but I don't remember the particulars. Moog seems to think that 16 is enough for live playing - but you can store an unlimited number in the editor software. The Keyboard mag review mentions that, and also points out that there's no LCD so it'd be tricky to navigate more than 16 presets without that LCD.

What I do remember is you might want to use that software editor if you want to access the "hidden" parameters more easily - some users, as I recall, reported having more difficulty working with those hidden parameters (again, no LCD) without the software.

there's no LCD so it'd be tricky to navigate more than 16 presets without that LCD.

This.

Besides...there's lotsa knobbages, and (being a MiniMoog guy) a mostly familiar layout. With 16 starting points, I can get to pretty much any sound I'd want to use in a live situation in a matter of moments.

16 presets is a luxury to someone who's used to no presets. :)

dB

How's the XK1c Dave?

Awesome. I actually just finished tweaking it to use on a gig tonight. Can't believe how much I'm digging it. The thing has so much balls...such serious tone....

It's the keyboard equivalent of a kickass electric guitar, y'know? :rawk:

dB

Archived