Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"What You Won't Do For Love" ?

I-missRichardTee

I am not in front of keyboard.. the first three chords on the track. I am guessing key of Fm. I am referring to the very first three chords played at the intro. I never properly learned this.. and it is being revisited by one of the bands. Using just a computer.. and assuming Fminor. It sounds like two Ab Dom chords to a Db chord.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Play it in F minor / Ab major.

Think of the first chord as F/Ab. That's an upper structure voicing for an Ab13b9.

The next chord is just an Ab13 with the Ab on top.

The next chord is Dbmaj7

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I haven't played it yet... just listening... Did you check out the brilliant reharmonization that Bobby introduces on the video by Dugg64.. it breaks up the monotony, with some fun stuff.

Thanks a lot

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I haven't played it yet... just listening... Did you check out the brilliant reharmonization that Bobby introduces on the video by Dugg64.. it breaks up the monotony, with some fun stuff.

Thanks a lot

Yep! I noticed that immediately. Will be adding this to the repertoire with the hip new changes.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Great song!.

Brett

Yup. And in that video I posted...

I luvs me some french horn. :love:

And you KNOW you can't go wrong when you've got Lee Ritenour and Phil Perry backing you up. :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I'm pretty certain the original key is A/F#m. A lot of guys took it down a half step to Fm because the singer couldn't hit the A on top comfortably.

If I had a twenty for every time I played this song back in the day, I'd have a house up in Carmel and would be riding my bike everyday on the 17 Mile Drive. :cool:

Great and classic song for sure.

Google Image Search the title and "sheet music" and see any song instantly.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Try doing it together with (alternating) Grover's 'Just The Two Of Us'. Same key, pretty much the same changes and a very easy integration. We do it all the time this way.....works.

chas

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

Try doing it together with (alternating) Grover's 'Just The Two Of Us'. Same key, pretty much the same changes and a very easy integration. We do it all the time this way.....works.

chas

+1 I was just going to say this...

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

chas

Actually, if you sit down and just start playing it, it's hard NOT to do this.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I like this version better:

[video:youtube]

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I'm pretty certain the original key is A/F#m. A lot of guys took it down a half step to Fm because the singer couldn't hit the A on top comfortably.

I think so too. I seem to usually do it in Fm for the horns' sake.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

• 3 weeks later...
I like this version better:

[video:youtube]

Both versions are Great! :).

Loved Go West , was thrashing their music for a while :).

Brett

Peter Cox is one of my favorite singers. And they're touring again. Check out his twitter feed - he's been posting photos of the different venues from the stage perspective. They've got some beautiful halls over there in Britain!

Like this:

http://i.imgur.com/2gulBXK.png

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I thought about this thread the other day when I heard the tune in a Mitsubishi car commercial. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Wow! , I would love to see Go West if they come to NZ , yeah loved that guy's special voice and songs.

Brett

I'm still a big Go West fan. If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend Peter Cox's solo debut.

http://www.peter-cox.org/Discographypics/PeterCox.jpg

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Archived