Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I don't get Jazz!

02R96

So there is community radio station I listen to that plays the occasional Jazz recording in their mix. This is where they loose me...

The "tune" I heard was made up of piano, clarinet, bass and drums. I swear it sounded like the warmup routines backstage at a philharmonic! It sounded like everyone was just doing there own thing, and most annoying was the clarinet doing these seemingly random arpeggios up and down the instrument.

This is Jazz? :idk

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like some Jazz, but I wouldn't like the type of Jazz you are describing 02R. It's the type that no one understands other than the musicians playing it. Some people are just pretending they understand it and that they like to listen to it LOL! I would find a new station or hit the mute button...
Take care, Larryz

So there is community radio station I listen to that plays the occasional Jazz recording in their mix. This is where they loose me...

The "tune" I heard was made up of piano, clarinet, bass and drums. I swear it sounded like the warmup routines backstage at a philharmonic! It sounded like everyone was just doing there own thing, and most annoying was the clarinet doing these seemingly random arpeggios up and down the instrument.

This is Jazz? :idk

That`s like listening to Nickelback and saying, `This is rock?`

One of my best buds likes abstract riffage like that-in fact so did the drummer in our improv band. I asked him and he said, `Well those are the best players.`

Yeah, but what are they actually doing? I mean, I can listen to that music up to a point-it`s really hard to reach a space, on a recording especially, where you`re not quoting anything. No cliches, no set patterns. Some people consider that pure music. But a little goes a long way. Fast.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

This is Jazz?

Well, there's the possibility that it isn't jazz. There is also the possibility that it IS jazz but just isn't very good. Or it might be great jazz & it just didn't float your boat.

I love jazz but that doesn't mean I love 100% of all jazz. Same with any genre.

Scott Fraser

This is Jazz?

Well, there's the possibility that it isn't jazz. There is also the possibility that it IS jazz but just isn't very good. Or it might be great jazz & it just didn't float your boat.

Bingo.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

This is Jazz?

Bingo.

I agree! I dislike Jazz sub-genres that are so discordant and abstract that I don't know what the melody is. If I can't whistle a melody, I'm not interested.;

I think this is why I play and listen to Standards. The Jazz Standards of the 30's, 40's, 50's and '60's Bossa Nova are the areas that interest me. As I have mentioned on other threads, I absolutely hate Be-Bop, "Free Jazz" and similar sub-genres. This in no way negates their musical validity. I just don't like it.

I recall my last lesson with Jerry Ricks back in the '60's. I was packing up to leave and I said to him, "What should I play?" He replied, "Play what makes you smile." And that's exactly what I do, Playing Standards makes me smile.

If you play cool, you are cool.

+1 Fred, on the Standards with a melody and "play what makes you smile" is great advice...I also like improv that starts with the melody, goes away, and comes back.

+1 Skip, a little can go a long way when things get too busy.

+1 Scott, I don't like all styles and jazz is divided into many different concepts, many of which do not float my boat.

LOL Bluesape! "If it makes sense, you're doing it wrong."

Take care, Larryz

Free Jazz (and free noise rock) is the musical equivalent of abstract expressionist painting or speaking in tongues. It's about expressing what is beyond any system of organized communication we have developed, yet... I dig it, but then I went to art school.

there are different personality types and some are a lot more agreeable to disorder and chaos in their environment than others.

I'm an ENFP... we thrive on chaos.

I listen to a lot of music that drives my wife up the wall. Strangely, she prefers to sleep with a white noise machine on, and that drives me nuts, because my brain starts recognizing the loop pattern and making music out of it...

Jazz is the only music genre I can think of that takes more shapes than any other music. And anyone can argue what jazz is or isn't, but never arrive at a concensus.

Some would say BRUBECK is jazz, SUN RA isn't

MILES DAVIS is jazz, but KEITH JARRETT isn't.

SONNY ROLLINS is jazz, GROVER WASHINGTON isn't.

Truth is, they're ALL jazz. Just different flavors. Obviously 02R96, the clarinet combo wasn't your cuppa, but don't abandon ship just yet. Take sample of each example and get back with us.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Musical genres are kind of like number sets: they are bounded infinities.

Just like there are an infinite number of numbers between 0 and 1, as long as you have intelligent, creative musicians involved, musical genres are capable of containing mind-bogglingly diverse variety. Just keep listening.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

I like jazz that's somewhat organized. Maybe that's why I tend to lean towards rock/jazz fusion. The rock part adds some structure. I realize however that this probably goes against what jazz is all about- free flowing creativity.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

I like jazz that's somewhat organized. Maybe that's why I tend to lean towards rock/jazz fusion. The rock part adds some structure. I realize however that this probably goes against what jazz is all about- free flowing creativity.

Jazz IS about free flowing creativity, but that doesn't mean it isn't structured. Jazz standards are tightly structured, usually a 32 bar form, A, A, B, A. You have to know what chord is in effect on each beat of each bar even while taking a self indulgent 12 chorus solo.

Scott Fraser

I like jazz. Especially if everyone is playing. The rhythm section comes out and would be called a bunch of lead players working together. The whole point is for everyone to improvise over a set of changes including the guys who would ordinarily be holding down the groove note for note. I like it.

It is a matter of taste, but jazz guys are some of the best most technical players on this planet. I respect their dedication.

All that said I don't listen to jazz at all, but sometimes I see it on TV or hear it in passing and I like it.

I like fusion too, at least the edgier types. It`s not so much that I need structure, I just like the drive of rock rhythms. I like some dance and electronica for the same reason. That being said, if I`m in a jam I often like to play the off beats-back in our improv band days, the other guitarist was more strictly rock although well-grounded in theory.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

First of all, that is hilarious! I especially like that I recognized some of the particular figures who got lampooned...

Second, where is that from?

Third, that is hilarious!

Funny!! :laugh:

But, you know, there are some jazz artists, enthusiasts and especially critics who are that pretentious (sp?) and phony. Either that, or they are taking the music way too seriously.

All "art" forms open themselves to this kind of lampooning. From music, through artistic mediums( paint, sculpture, etc.), literature and film making, there's a rich vien of satirical fodder. Not merely the artists themselves, but the enthusiasts as well. I contend that there ARE too many people who read into much of it more than the artists themselves probably intended. Espescially in movies.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived