Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Output QSC K10 balanced?

RudyS

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes balanced usually refers to 1/4" connectors (2 conductors). If a 1/4 in connector is unbalanced it means its a TS connector. A balanced 1/4 connector accepts a 1/4 TRS cable and has 3 conductors. A balanced input means you can have longer cable runs without noise. An XLR connector has 3 pins and is balanced by default.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Oke. So every signal going through a XLR is automatically balanced? I did not know that for sure.. Thank you.
No. This is an incorrect assumption.

Some XLR cables can be unbalanced, but they usually end in a TS connector on the opposite end, and the actual XLR connector will have only two (2) pins.

Balanced Audio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

To the best of my knowledge all XLR to XLR cables will be balanced on both ends, and both ends will have three (3) pins.

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

Yes, its possible to wire an XLR to a TS connector, but I've never seen one. I own several XLR to TRS and they are balanced.

And the K10 is XLR out so it is balanced. The cable you decide to use wasn't in the question. Which is also why I explained about balanced vs unbalanced 1/4" connectors.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

The single mixed output is balanced. The two thru outputs are not unless the input is.

You have a few options.

The "LINE OUT (POST GAIN MIX)" output is a balanced line level output. You could run that directly to another mixer that can handle a line level input at the XLR input. You can also run that into a DI to bring it to Mic level before sending to the mixer.

The "THRU" outputs on the QSC K series mirrors the input. If you used an unbalanced input, the output will be unbalanced. If you use a balanced input, the output will be balanced. Balanced, but not isolated.

Using an isolated DI between the K10 and your other mixer will prevent additional problems such as phantom power causing the K10 to buzz loudly.

If you are going to send your K10 output to another mixer, I'd use a DI box or be certain phantom power is OFF.

The output is balanced. However, there are at least two reasons that you might want to use a DI. First, the output is not DC isolated, and the QSC might be damaged if the mixer you connect to is providing 48 volt phantom power. Second, the output ground is not isolated. Most good DI's provide a switch that isolates the ground circuit, which can be useful in getting rid of hum and noise from differing AC power circuits.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived