Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your favorite lead synth?

ITGITC

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This one.

http://www.fototime.com/795AF2EA9E1D5F4/medium800.jpg

I've never owned any other Moog to compare to, but I really dig soloing on my Phatty as well.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

While I love the Mini's sound, for instruments I've used it's a tie between these two for best lead sounds:

Had this one up until 2007:

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt198/allanevett/download.jpg

Owned one of these for about 10 years:

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt198/allanevett/6497f63e6ee558fffe39174c36550a14_zps90e77921.jpg

This little trip down memory lane has given me a case of GAS for something real analog.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

My favorite lead synth is anyone Carlo happens to be playing. :wave:

Damn straight Markyboard!

Wow Marino, great chops! Very nice melodic work and a dose of moderate insanity (very tasteful). :thu:

Cheers!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

While I love the Mini's sound, for instruments I've used it's a tie between these two for best lead sounds:

Had this one up until 2007:

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt198/allanevett/download.jpg

Was wondering when someone was going to mention the Jupiter.

The Juno 6 was fun, also.

I got to play a Crumar DS2 for a few years in an old band - VERY underrated lead synth:

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/crumar-ds2-75873.jpg

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Either one of these guys. :) Usually the Voyager.

http://home.comcast.net/~mightyb3/twomoogssmall.jpg

If I were to buy a "lead" synth today I'd look awfully hard at the Oberheim Two Voice Pro. I've never owned an Oberheim and would love to have that color available, not to mention everything else the Two Voice will do.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Either one of these guys. :) Usually the Voyager.

http://home.comcast.net/~mightyb3/twomoogssmall.jpg

If I were to buy a "lead" synth today I'd look awfully hard at the Oberheim Two Voice Pro. I've never owned an Oberheim and would love to have that color available, not to mention everything else the Two Voice will do.

Yep, that Two Voice Pro is a tempting piece of kit :thu:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Many favorites...ie for different flavors

Mini D - No comments (except that I control it via a Kenton Pro Solo MkII to be able to pitch bend and to have VCA and/or VCF controlled by velocity)

Kurzweil K2xx - Some very expressive sounds

MKS-80 - Love that it has true mono mode (as JP6). Great aggressive CEM sounds! (Mine is a Rev 4)

Studio Electronics ATC-Xi Quad - My favorite among the favorites at the moment. Great programmability and really ballsy/aggressive sounds with Crossmod, filter FM and ringmod etc. Almost all parameters can be controlled by vel, AT or various Midi CC´s. Responds really well with breathcontroller due to its 16-bit midi resolution. Really cool to control it from a Kurz PC3 with its great midi masterfunctions. There you can ie have a main zone and some "silent" zones which only sends midi CC´s which in turn means that I can make one fader, wheel, or AT/BC etc control 1 or several parameters of the ATC simultaneously if I want to. VERY cool!. Will order a Ribbon controller for the PC3 soon for even more expression!

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Theo and Mike - again, thanks for your comments.

However - "moderate insanity"? :D For some moderate insanity in lead playing, try this:

Evidence

:thu:

Hats off,- your stuff is what I heard 1st today and is top notch.

I enjoyed.

B.t.w.,- my favourite lead synth was and is my Moog Minimoog D or my Oberheim Xpander, depending on the textures needed.

I also like(d) layering Oberheim Xpander and DX7mkII or use the DX7mkII alone,- FM, when programmed right, is very effective and especially w/ the unbeatable fast triggering action of the DX7.

Like You, I also find some textures from Wavestation SR very useful for leads.

Actually, I discovered my Kurz PC361 for expressive leads too and I´m still investigating VAST technology even I own the synth now for about 2 years.

A.C.

I think part of the question about favorites is a question of lineup. If you are playing with acoustic instruments, then some sample/modeling/additive/fm instruments have fine control of the overtone series and the timbral subtleties are appreciated. If it's electric, then you might give up subtlety for tone and projection.

(Not that FM through a stompbox wouldn't scare the heck out of a guitarist. ;) )

Does anyone know if Jens is using a DX here (starting at :44)?

Jens has variously used a DX7 through a Morley stompbox, a Korg Polysix and a JV1080 (controlled by the aforementioned DX7) from time to time. I believe Heavy Machinery was 100% JV1080 though I cannot be sure which interview I heard that on. I am pretty certain different cabs and stompboxes (including the Morley) were used as well. He's a great player with a distinctive style. :thu:

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o430/alanjpearson/Keyboard%20Rig/ARPProsoloist_zpsf9cb74d4.jpg
Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Yeah... Z1 had a great ARP ish sound...

He re is a track where I jammed over an Aebersold record with a sound I programmed many years back (maybe 10 years ago now)...

Z1 bop

I think the backing tune is from one of the David Baker volumes... the one from the mid 70s.

Sold the Z1 earlier this year as I was making a big move across the country (sold about 7 keyboards!) but it was a great synth.

Theo and Mike - again, thanks for your comments.

However - "moderate insanity"? :D For some moderate insanity in lead playing, try this:

Evidence

Yep, that's insanity with perspective! :idea:

Great chops Marino, totally impressive.

Cheers!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I remember being blown away at how incredible Tony Banks' playing *and* lead synth sound was in a concert film called 'Genesis In Concert' (1977 according to the IMDB) that I saw on VH-1 Classic several years back. I read that Banks played an ARP Pro Soloist, which had (per the Vintage Synth Explorer site), "... aftertouch sensitivity for volume, brilliance, vibrato, wow, and even bend effects". I think member Losendoskeys mentioned this synth.

I remember being blown away at how incredible Tony Banks' playing *and* lead synth sound was in a concert film called 'Genesis In Concert' (1977 according to the IMDB) that I saw on VH-1 Classic several years back. I read that Banks played an ARP Pro Soloist, which had (per the Vintage Synth Explorer site), "... aftertouch sensitivity for volume, brilliance, vibrato, wow, and even bend effects". I think member Losendoskeys mentioned this synth.

It's pictured a couple of posts above ^^^^ and the Rack + version from Joachim Verghese a bit higher up :wave:

Not bad for a "preset" synth from the early 70's..........

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o430/alanjpearson/Keyboard%20Rig/ARPProsoloist_zpsf9cb74d4.jpg

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SHAvz10Zmo

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

My favorite lead synth is anyone Carlo happens to be playing. :wave:

I'm late to this party but Mr. Marino you are inspiring. It's great to hear how good those 1990's decade synths (Wavestation, XP-80, AN1x)can sound in the right hands. I have owned all three once upon a time, they sound better when you play them than me.

As for me, my Moog Voyager is winning a close completion with my DSI P8 for lead duties sonically, however I really like having the 61 keys on the P8.

:nopity:

Archived