Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Kronos os

roxymart

I'm currently running os 2.06 on the Kronos, and I'm desperately trying to update to 2.1 so that I can try the new organ sounds. Unfortunately it keeps throwing back an error message

the system update was not successful.

any idaeas please, i'm going crazy!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had a problem a while back...this was pre-2.0 trying to update to whatever the last one was (I haven't gone to 2.06 yet). Anyway, I ended up getting around it by updating to a previous OS that was greater than mine, but not current, THEN upgrading again to the most current.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I think you should go to the Korg Kronos forum. There are 2 or 3 common user problems.

The OS updates problems are mostly due to buggy thumb drives with ' other ' files on it.

Suggest you start with a new thumb drive, then format it on your Kronos.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Exactly what is the error you're getting, and at what point do you get the error?

Here was my thread when I ran into issues: CLONK

But again, my issue was making the big jump in versions.

So you should get...

"found valid update files"

"Updater Version 2.1 ...validating media"

then I don't recall the next message, but basically installing OS, then restart.

So where are you getting the error and what is it?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'm just getting

"software update unsuccessful"

I've tried formatting the drive on the kronos and starting again, still no joy.

SO you're not even getting the "Found valid update files" first before that message? If that's the case, it's not even seeing the files on the stick. You ARE unzipping them onto the stick, right? Can you see the files from the Disk menu?

Dan

I would humbly suggest you throw out the files you have and start over. Go to Korg's website and download new versions. Put these new files on your USB stick and have at it again. Make sure just the files, not the folder they are in are installed at the root level of your USB stick. Over in the Korg forum, lots of people has issues because you need the latest Korg MIDI drivers. Might want to check that too.

My upgrade worked great. I did the OS, the firmware, and then loaded the new sounds as well. Enjoying it like a new machine. You'll love the new organs. Much improved. Good luck!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Having made 5 previous updates work easily, I was laughing at the antics on the Korg Forum with people complaining about your exact problem and thinking that they were dorks.........until I came to do it myself. :blush:

I wasted a whole hour - downloaded the update, extracted the files, added them to a newly FAT32 formatted stick and splat - "software update unsuccessful"

Having used a stick I had only ever previously updated both my SK2 and the Kronos with, I was mystified.

I fully formatted the stick on the PC - same result

I found another stick and did the whole lot again - same result

In exasperation I dug out an old 1G stick, quick formatted it on the PC, transferred the files to it, inserted it in the Kronos and got a message "Found Valid Update Files" and pressed OK.........

the Kronos then locked up!!!! :o

So then the old question - how long do I wait? - will I have to rebuild the sucker from scratch? - where did I put the backup?

Arrgghhhhh!!! :mad:

So I shut it down and hey presto, it started back up.....phew!

And then I FULLY FORMATTED the stick and transferred the files again - this time it worked and updated successfully. :whistle:

Now sorry, but it shouldn't be this hard.

There is something different this time - don't know what, but I'm sure someone at Korg does as there are too many instances of this happening where it didn't before.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Glad you managed to get that sorted, Alan. The Kronos continues to make me nervous as a gigging keyboard. :(

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Glad you managed to get that sorted, Alan. The Kronos continues to make me nervous as a gigging keyboard. :(

Bill

I do understand why you have two! ;)

I can't accept that something that is essentially a PC should be so picky about what it reads data from in the USB port.

My story is on the Korg forum and I trust they will reply as they are usually helpful.

I have to say that the Kronos has been bombproof since the last problem with the PSU though.

R

Alan

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Archived