Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

S90 with ventilator

Michiel

I was under the impression even a less expensive home kybd like a PSR or Casio's organ voices would sound good with a ventilator.

I hear the Casio XW-P1 organs sound good with a Vent.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Friends don't let friends play organ on an S90. Even through a ventilator.

Does the S90ES or XS have better organ sounds? Just curious as I was asked to play at another church and they have as ES. It would be nice if I didn't have to lug any of my keyboards there.

I own a Motif ES and regularly play a Motif XS in a church setting. It depends what you're looking for and how well you play, but both of these do a fine job for contemporary worship music in a band setting. In this setting, the organ is certainly not prominent, just another instrument in the mix. For this, it sounds fine.

We also have a Kurzweil PC3 at church and I ran it through my Vent one Sunday (lots of organ tunes that week), so I went to the trouble to take it and hook it up. Not even our sound man (who also owns a recording studio) noticed any difference between that and the Motif XS.

I think there's two kinds of organ people on this forum. Ones that really know how to play a Hammond (drawbars, use both manuals, etc.) and those that play organ as another keyboard sound (that's me). The real Hammond group pretty much expects a clonewheel or better to be somewhat satisfied with the organ tone. The rest of us are somewhat overwhelmed by the instrument and only need a given organ sound for a given song. Not as discriminating.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

I was under the impression even a less expensive home kybd like a PSR or Casio's organ voices would sound good with a ventilator.

There are two reasons that I did not pursue the Casio XW-P1 and Vent set-up:

1) XW-P1 does not have a sub out or split mono output to feed the Vent. This prevents effective simultaneous use of both XW-PI organ and other sounds as both will be fed thru the Vent (though you can bypass Vent when switching to and playing non-organ sounds).

2) More importantly, $500 Vent + $500 XW-P1 gets you to the similar price range to a Roland VR-09 or nearer to the range of the new Hammond XK-1C.

As a result I'm still looking...more at the VR-09...but still really wanting the XK-1C for a top quality/integrated virtual Hammond organ solution.

Just my 2 pesos...

1) XW-P1 does not have a sub out or split mono output to feed the Vent. This prevents effective simultaneous use of both XW-PI organ and other sounds as both will be fed thru the Vent (though you can bypass Vent when switching to and playing non-organ sounds).

2) More importantly, $500 Vent + $500 XW-P1 gets you to the similar price range to a Roland VR-09 or nearer to the range of the new Hammond XK-1C.

For problem 1, you should be able to use two sounds simultaneously the way you want on the XW-P1 by panning the organ to one side (into the vent) and your other sound to the other side (not through the vent). And actually, this is not possible on the VR-09... and of course, not an issue on the XK-1C which doesn't give you other sounds in the first place.

As for how the organ sound of the XW-P1 with Vent compares to the similarly priced VR-09 without one, that's an interesting question, and will probably vary somewhat with the kinds of organ sounds you care about. i.e. C/V? Overdrive? Of course, there are also differences in their non-organ (rompler and synth) sounds as well.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

For problem 1, you should be able to use two sounds simultaneously the way you want on the XW-P1 by panning the organ to one side (into the vent) and your other sound to the other side (not through the vent). And actually, this is not possible on the VR-09... and of course, not an issue on the XK-1C which doesn't give you other sounds in the first place.

As for how the organ sound of the XW-P1 with Vent compares to the similarly priced VR-09 without one, that's an interesting question, and will probably vary somewhat with the kinds of organ sounds you care about. i.e. C/V? Overdrive? Of course, there are also differences in their non-organ (rompler and synth) sounds as well.

Good point Another Scott on the left/right panning workaround...definitely options to edit tones and performance part panning (and edits can be saved too).

That said I'd still prefer to keep stereo for the non-organ sounds (I understand the VR-09 has a similar issue and can't feed a panned output at all...yes?)

I'd also prefer the virtual tonewheel organ modeling in the VR-09 (adjustable leakage, three organ models) as well as the XK-1C (fully custom tonewheel adjustment) over Casio XW-P1 fixed model.

Regards, C

I think there's two kinds of organ people on this forum. Ones that really know how to play a Hammond (drawbars, use both manuals, etc.) and those that play organ as another keyboard sound (that's me). The real Hammond group pretty much expects a clonewheel or better to be somewhat satisfied with the organ tone. The rest of us are somewhat overwhelmed by the instrument and only need a given organ sound for a given song. Not as discriminating.

This is very true.

Absolutely true. And I am both types. I lugged a B3 around for many years and IMO nothing can touch it. That said, I was perfectly happy gigging with my S90 because I never thought of it as a Hammond. Just a versatile rompler that supported organ sounds.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Absolutely true. And I am both types. I lugged a B3 around for many years and IMO nothing can touch it. That said, I was perfectly happy gigging with my S90 because I never thought of it as a Hammond. Just a versatile rompler that supported organ sounds.

I'm amazed by the crunchy organ sounds my good old Triton can produce. We played "I'll Fly Away" with the worship band yesterday, and the combination sound I tweaked sounded great with the internal overdrive.

.... I was perfectly happy gigging with my S90 because I never thought of it as a Hammond. Just a versatile rompler that supported organ sounds.

And this is the very reason I think the S90 (or my Motif ES) offers serviceable organ sounds. It's just part of the mix, not the featured instrument.

I've started using the organ stuff on my Kurzweil PC3X and even starting to mess with the drawbars. :o As I play that more and more, I enjoy the ES organs less and less, so I do understand where the real organ players are coming from.

On the other hand, I would not know what to do with a B3......

As a result I'm still looking...more at the VR-09...but still really wanting the XK-1C for a top quality/integrated virtual Hammond organ solution.

Just my 2 pesos...

You will get some audible "beating" on the Casio organs on the WK and XW series on certain drawbar chord combinations, particularly on higher octaves. This is hardly noticeable unless the Vent is on Fast where it will result in some phase shifting. It will get somewhat lost in a band mix but just drove me personally too crazy. I doubt that would be a problem with the Roland.

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

Well thanks guys for al the reply's.

Me, and the other piano/keyboard players at this church certainly apply to the second group you name Bif.

So if the organsound would sound a little nicer in the mix, that would be enough.

the church has a yamaha p-120 right now, so anything would be an improvement....

Again, thanks for the help

Friends don't let friends play organ on an S90. Even through a ventilator.

Does the S90ES or XS have better organ sounds? Just curious as I was asked to play at another church and they have as ES. It would be nice if I didn't have to lug any of my keyboards there.

I own a Motif ES and regularly play a Motif XS in a church setting. It depends what you're looking for and how well you play, but both of these do a fine job for contemporary worship music in a band setting. In this setting, the organ is certainly not prominent, just another instrument in the mix. For this, it sounds fine.

We also have a Kurzweil PC3 at church and I ran it through my Vent one Sunday (lots of organ tunes that week), so I went to the trouble to take it and hook it up. Not even our sound man (who also owns a recording studio) noticed any difference between that and the Motif XS.

So if the organsound would sound a little nicer in the mix, that would be enough.

the church has a yamaha p-120 right now, so anything would be an improvement....

Again, thanks for the help

Glad to help. Since the Yamaha P-120 has been the main board, yourr S90 will be a breath of fresh air.

Archived