Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

S90 with ventilator

Michiel

Hi guys,

Thinking of donating my yamaha s90 to church.

Will a s90 with al ventilator give you a great hammond sound?

The other option is buying a sk1 or nord next to our yamaha p120 but that would be another 1500 euros ...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really, the Ventilator doesn't provide a "Hammond" sound, it provides a "Leslie" sound. Hammonds are capable of so many sounds via their drawbars... the best you could hope for out of the S90 would be that its handful of Hammond-based presets are close to the sounds you want. If you find the Hammond sounds in the S90 to be in the ballpark but just wish they were a bit more "authentic" sounding, the Vent might make the difference. Though besides the sound, an organ player may be frustrated by not just the lack of real-time adjustable drawbars but also the weighted action of the keyboard.

The other option is buying a sk1 or nord next to our yamaha p120 but that would be another 1500 euros ...

I would look at the new Hammond XK-1c which is 25% cheaper than the SK1, and has all the same organ functionality as the SK1 (including the pipe organs, which could come in useful as well). Below that, there is the Roland VR-09.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hi guys,

No.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Pairing an S90 with a Vent is like hanging earrings on a pig. Under no circumstances should an S90 be used to fulfill organ obligations. I still LOVE my S90ES, but it absolutely BLOWS for organ sounds.

Noah

:thu::thu::thu:

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Hi guys,

Thinking of donating my yamaha s90 to church.

An S90 would be a great keyboard for church if you're doing contemporary worship music. While the organs on it aren't great, they would fit well in a mix in that setting.

No, it's not going to be a great Hammond sound even with a Vent, but the Vent would help make it sound better.

If you want a more authentic Hammond sound (and assuming you have someone that knows how to play a Hammond), then yes, you'll need to go in the direction you mentioned.

If you need a keyboard with a broad palette of sounds, the S90 (with or without the Vent) would be very useful.

Greg

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

I find it a wild that a European church would want Hammond emulation. I do not have a good feel for how American culture has proliferated the world as a whole.

I find it a wild that a European church would want Hammond emulation. It have no good feel for how American culture has proliferated the world as a whole.

I was wondering the same thing.

It's tough when talking about church music. Many still only use pipe organ (one end of the spectrum) while others are more like a full-on rock concert (lighting and all).

I play at our church as a pianist or keyboardist (two separate stations in our setup) but we have a pretty tight band with electric and acoustic guitar, percussion, drums, bass and an occasional sax player (who is quite good).

It sounds quite professional.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

I'm Orthodox. In the East very early it was decided that while music is an integral element of liturgy and worship musical instruments were to have no part in it. We don't even have a piano in our church. Byzantine hymnology is sort of like a Greek version of Geogorian Chant. But elsewhere in the West you do find organs in some greek Orothodox Churches.

I have been involved in Martial Arts for about 40 years and I talk to a lot of Karate and Judo practitioners around the globe and I always found it interesting how much they know about Hollywood movies. I am like....Why do you guys watch that crap? Surely other countries make better movies. LOL.

I have been involved in Martial Arts for about 40 years and I talk to a lot of Karate and Judo practitioners around the globe and I always found it interesting how much they know about Hollywood movies. I am like....Why do you guys watch that crap? Surely other countries make better movies. LOL.
Ha ha - have you seen what they produce? Also, Hollywood movies are how many around the world first learn English. That, and our music... [NSFW]

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQr_2_EAmyA

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

CEB do you go to E-Judo? They migrated the site:

E-Judo

or here. I have been a member for years:

Mixed Martial Arts

No, I used to be a member at e-Budo for a longtime but a lot of the old timers lost interest.

CEB do you go to E-Judo? They migrated the site:

E-Judo

or here. I have been a member for years:

Mixed Martial Arts

No, I used to be a member at e-Budo for a longtime but a lot of the old timers lost interest.

well the second link used to be mma.tv but has some good forums.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Friends don't let friends play organ on an S90. Even through a ventilator. :wave:

Most of the organs on the S90 have a Leslie effect. I've never tried it, but it seems like a Vent would only add to the confusion.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Most of the organs on the S90 have a Leslie effect. I've never tried it, but it seems like a Vent would only add to the confusion.

You would want to disable the internal rotary effect if you were going to send the sound to the Vent.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

You would want to disable the internal rotary effect if you were going to send the sound to the Vent.

Yes, but the S90 being a Yamaha, it is a semi PITA to do so.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Friends don't let friends play organ on an S90. Even through a ventilator.

Does the S90ES or XS have better organ sounds? Just curious as I was asked to play at another church and they have as ES. It would be nice if I didn't have to lug any of my keyboards there.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Does the S90ES or XS have better organ sounds?.

I think asking which of the S90, ES, or XS comes closest to real organ sounds is kind of like asking, of the meat at McDonalds, Burger King, or Wendy's, which comes closest to filet mignon.

Does the S90ES or XS have better organ sounds?.

I think asking which of the S90, ES, or XS comes closest to real organ sounds is kind of like asking, of the meat at McDonalds, Burger King, or Wendy's, which comes closest to filet mignon.

Well, OK then... :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I used the S90 a lot, here's a version of me playing Voodoo Chile, which is nice in the context of the recent Hendrix thread, but of course far from church organ music:

vodoch1.mp3

(Me on Guitar, IIRC Lexicon octaver as bass, S90 organ and drums, recorded on Linux)

I think it can do a nice, singular jazz-organ, but of course good clones can get further. It does suffer from the Yamaha niceness that it works as a sound, isn't hard to amplify and put in a performance situation, and is well behaved.

T

No! S80 + Vent NOT GOOD.

I edited several of the stock organ patches on my S80 and turned off both the Master effects and the insert effects to create a completely dry organ sound so not interfere or mask what the Vent would produce but the overall sound was really really bad. I even ran the organ out one of the S80's aux outputs but that did not help. Other note... I also tried doing the same thing with Korg Triton organs; but, that didn't sound good either.

Yamaha CP-80/S80/S90es/P125/DGX-670/AN1x/MOTIF XS-Rack/CS6R/Roland D-50/Prophet 5(Rev 3.3.)/OBX8/Prophet 5 (Rev 4)/OB-8/Juno-60/Jupiter-6/Studiologic Numa Organ with Neo Ventilator/Korg Kronos

The S80/S30 had a great organ patch called Tube. I wish I could have gotten that sound on the MOX. I could not find an overdrive algorithm in the XS/XF generation that sounded as good as what was in that older series.

Hmm interesting. I had thought that in the future getting a Ventilator would work well with my romplers S90ES, Motif Rack XS or XF6 , all I had to do is remove the internal Leslie Fx on each instrument , but I guess not. I was under the impression even a less expensive home kybd like a PSR or Casio's organ voices would sound good with a ventilator.

Archived