Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Fantom..Still being made?

EscapeRocks

Okay..I Svengled, etc... and can't seem to find an answer.

Did Roland discontinue the Fantom line? When I pull up Roland's site, they are listed, but all of the usual sources say they don't carry or item not available.

Just curious. Thanks

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found two more online dealers who have them in stock (according to their website), but various others list the Fantom-G as being unavailable.

Slow day here in SE Pennsylvania. :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

There's been no official word they have been discontinued that I know of (aside from the 76 key G7 model, which was discontinued years ago) but it seems like they are starting to get phased out. It was released in 2008 so it's nearly 6 years old. No word on a replacement model either. They have also stopped ongoing support (the last OS upgrade was in 2010). They did release a driver for Mac OS 10.8 but are not developing one for 10.9 Mavericks, which might point to it approaching end of life status.
Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

And if nothing is announced/released in January - then it is probs safe to assume Roland have moved right out of the high end synth market. Leaving it (along with the high end arranger division) to Korg and Yamaha, and instead focussing on the low to mid level gear.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

And if nothing is announced/released in January - then it is probs safe to assume Roland have moved right out of the high end synth market.

Because the Jupiter 80 is what? A bottom-tier model?

Released two+ years ago IIRC ;)

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

And if nothing is announced/released in January - then it is probs safe to assume Roland have moved right out of the high end synth market. Leaving it (along with the high end arranger division) to Korg and Yamaha, and instead focussing on the low to mid level gear.

Roland still makes high-end synths -- Jupiter 60/80, Integra 7, etc. -- but it does look like they're backing away from the traditional workstation market. Many of their synths do have recording features, though, to varying degrees - the VR-09, Jupiter, Junos, etc.

I work in music retail, and it seems that workstations on the whole are declining in popularity. Perhaps it's just a regional thing (I'm in the South), but I've noticed these changes in the last decade, especially the last 5 years:

1. Pro players seem to be gravitating towards specialized "meat & potato" 'boards like the Electro and SV-1.

2. Churches that once bought $4,000 workstations and never used anything beyond the piano sound are starting to realize they can get what they need for $1,000 or less.

3. Studio guys are moving towards software more - either because it's cheaper, or they're pirating - because computers are far more reliable for these applications than they were a decade ago.

4. Unsecured credit isn't as easy to come by as it was several years ago, so fewer people looking to finance keyboards are getting approved for loans.

5. Despite assurances that the economy is in full rebound since the '08 crash, the middle class is still very reticent to make unnecessary purchases, so hobbyists who used to trade up every time a new workstation comes out are holding off.

My best synth heart-stopper tale: the one where I dropped a Juno-1 down a flight of carpeted stairs and it totally shrugged it off. I've never had a reason not to trust the builds of the Roland and Korg gear I've used.

I have a Korg 01Wfd that still works. Its semi-retired because the display is all but gone and a few buttons have become fussy, but it'll load floppies and do its thing. A Fantom wouldn't be a bad investment if it starts out in working order. Flagship synths generally give you what you pay for, so if its just a home studio piece or travels minimally, you could get a couple of great decades out of it as I have. Gather up a few sound libraries for it, a small folder of useful tips from user groups and voila, you're a power user. In the software realm, built-in obsolescence is a bitter fact, but pampered hardware can rule for years. With a great piece like a Fantom G or a Triton Extreme, "obsolete" is relative.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

Roland still makes high-end synths -- Jupiter 60/80, Integra 7, etc. -- but it does look like they're backing away from the traditional workstation market. Many of their synths do have recording features, though, to varying degrees - the VR-09, Jupiter, Junos, etc.

I work in music retail, and it seems that workstations on the whole are declining in popularity. Perhaps it's just a regional thing (I'm in the South), but I've noticed these changes in the last decade, especially the last 5 years:

1. Pro players seem to be gravitating towards specialized "meat & potato" 'boards like the Electro and SV-1.

2. Churches that once bought $4,000 workstations and never used anything beyond the piano sound are starting to realize they can get what they need for $1,000 or less.

3. Studio guys are moving towards software more - either because it's cheaper, or they're pirating - because computers are far more reliable for these applications than they were a decade ago.

4. Unsecured credit isn't as easy to come by as it was several years ago, so fewer people looking to finance keyboards are getting approved for loans.

5. Despite assurances that the economy is in full rebound since the '08 crash, the middle class is still very reticent to make unnecessary purchases, so hobbyists who used to trade up every time a new workstation comes out are holding off.

Yes they DID make them - but really, you do need to look at when these were released! Jupiters over two years ago, Integra about three years ago. And I have a feeling that the production of these is winding down, and that it is only Roland warehouse stock being sold.

Which was the point I was trying to make to the zephonic. Look, I really REALLY hope they stick to high end Fantom like keyboards - but I cannot see it happening...Their digital piano section is doing well, as is "Edirol" gear and other audio ancillary gear they manufacture.

But this Italy thing is the tip of a rather large 'berg I think - happy to be wrong though :)

And if nothing is announced/released in January - then it is probs safe to assume Roland have moved right out of the high end synth market.

Because the Jupiter 80 is what? A bottom-tier model?

Released two+ years ago IIRC ;)

Gotcha. As opposed to the Motif XF which came out in 2010, IIRC.

And that was only an incremental update to the XS, whereas Roland started with a clean slate and build something new.

Leaving it (along with the high end arranger division) to Korg and Yamaha, and instead focussing on the low to mid level gear.

Not sure how you can conclude from this that Roland is leaving the high-end market and Yamaha is not.

[quote=zephonic

Gotcha. As opposed to the Motif XF which came out in 2010, IIRC.

And that was only an incremental update to the XS, whereas Roland started with a clean slate and build something new.

Leaving it (along with the high end arranger division) to Korg and Yamaha, and instead focussing on the low to mid level gear.

Not sure how you can conclude from this that Roland is leaving the high-end market and Yamaha is not.

The topic is Roland not Yamaha ;)

I made not one comment about Yamaha that stated they WERE remaining in the high end market. I wrote I thought Roland could be leaving that to Yamaha and Korg (should THOSE companies decide to release new high end gear of this nature)

Look, if you want to discuss Yammies, let's make it another thread. I happen to agree with your comment re Yamaha though, so it would be rather short :)

TBH you seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill!

Not really. Just getting the facts straight, for example:

Yes they DID make them - but really, you do need to look at when these were released! Jupiters over two years ago, Integra about three years ago. And I have a feeling that the production of these is winding down, and that it is only Roland warehouse stock being sold.

The Integra was released last year, that's right, one year ago.

I don't know whether or not Roland (and others) are moving away from that particular price bracket, but you base your assumptions on erroneous info. That's all.

Not really. Just getting the facts straight, for example:

The Integra was released last year, that's right, one year ago.

I don't know whether or not Roland (and others) are moving away from that particular price bracket, but you base your assumptions on [partially - my edit] erroneous info. That's all.

Yeah my bad on the Integra - don't know why I wrote that time, but it was correct re the Jupiters :) 2011!

Anyway lets leave it there until NAMM and see if Roland announces/release anything that is actually new. My bet is they will not, certainly nothing in the same class as the Fantom G.

About 4 years ago, our church replaced an aging Kurzweil digital piano with a Yamaha DGX something or other. Unfortunately, the Yamaha piano isn't that great, plus most of the other sounds don't cut through the mix very well. It's been sitting in the back room for awhile now.

I like the direction that Roland hand Korg have taken, all-in-one keyboards that have more than just a ROMpler engine. They seem to now understand the dividing line between stage and studio. No one wants to compose a song on a keyboard workstation anymore, but it is nice to have VA and clonewheel engines in your ROMpler for stage use. No doubt a lesson learned while watching Nord grow in the market.

Sadly, I saw a Best Buy add in an old Keyboard Mag yesterday and noticed what they were featuring in the front of their showroom. Lots and lots of $200 home keyboards with built in speakers. Something to match up pricewise with the introductory level guitars that dominate the market.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Thanks for all the discussion guys.

I asked because I got to play a Fantom G8 a few weeks ago, and I loved it. (not that I could afford it right now...)

The interface, I though, worked well. It's what the keys player for the Steve Augeri band uses. he gave me a "tour" of how he has it setup.

So I was curious about it, and when I went searching online, as I said in my OP, most of the big retailers show it as "no longer available" with a few having some old stock.

As far as what's been brought up in this thread. I like workstation type keyboards that let me zone sounds anywhere, and let me have full control.. Not just split or layer a couple sounds.

In my gig this is crucial. So that's why I use the Korg M50.

Saving my pennies for a Kronos 61 someday.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Cool man. The UI is one of the best aspects of the Fantom G, it's very easy to use and getting splits and layers happening is very fast. I found it way better on a live jam/songwriting session than a computer. It's can also be very versatile if you dig in. There are some frustrations like all boards, but it's possible to workaround a lot of them.

If you want a Fantom G series, maybe see if you can pick up a 2nd hand one in good shape, could work out to be good value for money.

Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

I've always thought that the UI on the Fantom G series was very well done. The main reason I never got into a G7: Lack of a dedicated clonewheel engine, and a VA model; plus I didn't need yet another built-in recording studio. A 76 key, multi-engine performance instrument - that is also a comprehensive controller, with an intuitive interface - is somewhat the unicorn missing from my stable these days.

The JP-50 is definitely my gigging buddy, but put a Fantom G controller interface - including dedicated, or secondary controls for the TW organ engine - onboard, plus additional, assignable outputs and aftertouch, and it becomes an all-around, studio and live powerhouse. That's what I'd like to see from Roland. Considering their move toward performance oriented keyboards, I'm hoping that this will be their next, logical step upward. And backward compatible with the JP50 / 80 engine would be awesome...

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I agree, an new model Fantom style workstation with the Jupiter80/Integra engine, which Roland seem be making their new platfrom, would be very appealing I think. It was always a shame Roland did not release a ARX card with a VK engine on it or a JP-8000/V-synths style ARX card... but that's a whole other story.

I picked up a used Jupiter 80 and cannot make myself sell my Fantom X7 for the going rate. The interface is super easy for setting up splits and layers. There was a time that it was controlling a Virus T1 table top, Roland VK-8M, Vsynth XT and Korg M3M. That made a wicked single keyboard setup. :)

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

No one wants to compose a song on a keyboard workstation anymore, but it is nice to have VA and clonewheel engines in your ROMpler for stage use.

I still do. I draft songs and soundtrack music pieces on my Fantom X7. Something about the immediacy of the keyboard and sequencer. No real boot time, loading VSTs, yada yada. I can just get in there and compose. THEN I'll port it over to the computer and finesse it with Sonar and my plug-ins.

On occasion for some projects I've done everything on the X7, ported the mix to the PC and just done a little EQ/mastering. Done.

I love all the power of a DAW with all the VSTs, effects, loops, etc. But it requires quite a bit of left brain work. Sometimes I just want to right-brain it and get stuff down and mess with the details later.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

No one wants to compose a song on a keyboard workstation anymore, but it is nice to have VA and clonewheel engines in your ROMpler for stage use.

I still do. I draft songs and soundtrack music pieces on my Fantom X7. Something about the immediacy of the keyboard and sequencer. No real boot time, loading VSTs, yada yada.

On occasion for some projects I've done everything on the X7, ported the mix to the PC and just done a little EQ/mastering. Done.

+1

That's how I feel about my Korg M3... switch it on and start composing/recording. It's easy to save a completed song as a wave file and finish mastering on the PC. I love it!

As far as what's been brought up in this thread. I like workstation type keyboards that let me zone sounds anywhere, and let me have full control.. Not just split or layer a couple sounds.

Sorry I skimmed over this in my reply before... I don't know if you saw it when you saw the G8 but the Fantom G does exactly this in a number of ways. In Live Mode which supports seamless changing between sounds there are 8 Internal Zones and 16 external zones available, in Studio Mode there are 16 Internal zones and 16 external zones available, which you can setup however you want. It's very flexible. Plus all sorts of options for realtime control, saving of offsets etc... It works in a kind of "old school" way compared to how software does mapping etc, but it works fine and quite quickly in certain areas, like if you simply want to set up a whole bunch of splits, layers, zones with different patches very quickly it excels. Hope this helps.

Archived