Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Magnetic clips on keyboard top?

drawback

I've always gone by the general rule that you shouldn't use magnets on electronic devices.

With Nord's metal sheeting, I'd like to use a simple fridge magnet type clip to hold things like the odd cheater chart (which I write on recipe cards), or set lists etc.

On my NS2-73, there's a bit of real estate on either side of the control panel. So what's the consensus on the use of a low-level clip like one of these?

http://content.etilize.com/spr/EJ/2510673.jpg

Here for the gear.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sticking magnets on what is essentially a computer is never a good idea. Pick up the non-magnetic clip of your dreams - and add a 1/2" Velcro dot to it and you'll achieve the same objective without the unwanted side affects of involving a magnet.
The SpaceNorman :freak:

I just asked Kurzweil about this last week. I wanted to attach my Voce unit to a magnet using this as the magnet:

klonk

Then attaching that magnet to the top of the PC3. I didn't want velcro residue on the PC3 that couldn't be removed later. I wanted to understand the repercussions of doing this, thinking the power supply and other oddball things were on the other side. Surprisingly the reply I received back was that no one saw any ill effects of doing this.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

The only potential issue would be if a keyboard had a traditional rotating hard drive inside.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Magnets will not harm your gear, especialy not the weak ones like fridge magnet types.

Almost all manufacturers have models with inbuilt speakers, and those have magnets inside, don't they ? :)

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Just FYI, since I'm not going to suggest that magnets are okay for anyone else's keyboard, I have had 8 flexible business card sized magnets attached to the front side of a VK8 for about 9 years. I have experienced zero problems.

The dull brown magnets lay flat and from a distance they look like they are part of the instrument.(I'll not define the purpose of those magnets since the last time the subject of their purpose came up on this forum, the thread disappeared completely.)

I've used a couple of small, and quite strong, little magnets to hold setlists on my Nord Electro for a few years now. I've never experienced any problems.

The Electro is a fully solid-state device. I'm no physicist, but I can't see how magnetic fields would affect it's performance.

My blog

Nord Electro 2 | microKorg | Casiotone MT-65 | Hammond XB-2 | Korg Electribe-R ER-1

(I'll not define the purpose of those magnets since the last time the subject of their purpose came up on this forum, the thread disappeared completely.)

You've got me really intrigued now! Go on, tell us, You know you want to. :laugh:

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

The PG-800 for Roland JX10 and 8P has two magnetic strips much stronger than most fridge dongles to keep it firmly attached to the top of those board. Mine has been on the shell of a JX10 for over 20 years with no problems except for scrambled data on a couple of ill-placed DD/DD 3.5 data disks for an SY77 and S-550...ERG!

Archived