Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The excitement factor of playing music?

Synthoid

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was involved with a band specializing in Grateful Dead and original tunes for almost 20 years.

I took my breaks here and there and the reason for the breaks was always the same thing. I just wasn't happy with the music anymore. The songs never went anywhere and there was seriously never any stage presence. Our latest female vocalist was a dead fish up there.

I was told that it seemed I was the only one into the music. But even then, it just wasn't exciting. Especially if the song rotation gets stale.

Also contributing was lame gigs at the same bars with either nobody showing up, or the same handful of staunch supporters.

Contrary to that, I recently did a gig with a bunch of local musicians doing Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" as well as bunch of other PF songs, and that was the most exciting gig I'd played in years.

Great energy, great crowd, etc.

So as it stands, I don't see myself playing any more Grateful Dead-oriented stuff for a long time. I'd rather branch out and play other stuff.

TL;DR - Yes, if the music gets stale, it will lose it's excitement.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

Is there much excitement left after playing keys for several years, or is it just routine... same old songs, yadda, yadda, yadda?

I stopped playing clubs in 2007 - not for lack of gigs, but because the only ones I could find were with guys who were more interested in getting out of the house, drinking, and carousing than playing. By definition the setlists were mostly SOS (same old sh#t).

They were having a blast but I wasn't, so I got out and focused my keyboard playing on praise music instead.

For clubs I started getting into being a DJ, which has actually been more rewarding than the last few club bands I was in. Most of us at my level are doing our own production, and it's pretty neat when something you're put together at home just packs out the floor.

But it's not the same as playing keyboards. There's actually a popular working band in my area doing new stuff who are mostly the age of my kids - and they seem to have at least a passing interest in using an old man like me here and there. They have no keyboard player at present.

I may give this one last try... ;)

I was invited to join a local band, but when I showed up for the first practice, the room was full of loud guitar players and their music just didn't work for me... they didn't leave much room for keys. That's pretty much how it works around here.

As a keys player, I always target joining bands who play music that ABSOLUTELY REQUIRES keys (piano, organ, synth, whatever...) and always avoid joining a band whose music doesn't leave much room for keys, or really doesn't need it at all. Normally this approach works better for tribute bands where the template has already been set. For example, I was never a huge Bob Seger fan in the past, but joining a Seger tribute was one of the best things I've done lately. The music NEEDS keys, specifically, and the parts are fun to play... the band appreciates my contribution.... we make money and get gigs... it's all good.

With original bands, especially "already formed" ones who are just looking to add keys, it gets a little weird. You either take your own style of playing into the band, or the band is making demands that you play a certain way, with certain sounds. When it gets to the 2nd option, I tend to quit those bands pretty fast.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

I think, as musicians, the responsibility is upon us to make it exciting.

How do we pass that on to an audience if we're not feeling it ourselves? Audiences aren't stupid. They can tell when you're phoning it in. Believe me, there are days when I'm like "god, this old gig and these tunes again." But I find a way to put excitement into the show; to find something new to say or a new way of looking at the material I'm playing and my performance of it.

I think it's an extremely entitled position to take to expect the music to excite/gratify/reward you. It's easy to get into repetitive patterns, burn out, get in a rut. You have to take measures into your own hands to breathe new life into it.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Thats true but remember with bands what you do is sometimes dependent on what people will or wont do. This happens ALL the time with bands.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Uncledunc -- go back and listen Wilson Pickett version, too, recorded at FAME in Muscle Shoals and released on Atlantic.-- Those cats had a great groove, too. And you're right about bands blahifying the hell out of it. It is usually played too fast, too straight, and without soul.

My Man, that's tellin 'em. +1

The thing is very few musicians have what it takes to realize it is THEIR lack, not the tunes lack. There is nothing inherently wrong with just about any song ( ok there are some really really dumb songs, but even We All Live in a Yellow whatever is a silly happy tune, and she be played that way.. )

I will list some songs I find no fault with that many do.. Old guys list: Feelings, Green Onions, This Masquerade, Girl from Ipanema, Satin Doll, Mustang Sally.

I find fault with TEE, not the tune. I say to myself this tune was a hit record for a REASON, I try to bring out the best in these tunes when I play them.

All the jazz snobs that poo poo Girl from Ipanema. 1 could not WRITE a tune as good 2, cannot hope to sing it as well as the folks from Brazil who did 3 can never come close to the solo Stan Getz played on it.

Sonny Rollins is another lesson for me... he plays any darned tune, matters not, and makes wonderful music.

So learn how to look at music more objectively, be honest about it.. can you play the groove on Mustang Sally by those who had hits on it, as well? Answer Nope.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I still enjoy getting up in front of a crowd and entertaining. I have been gigging regularly for about the last 30 years, in the area of 100 gigs per year. Still loving it.

I have always said, when gigging stops being fun, it is time to stop gigging.

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

I still enjoy getting up in front of a crowd and entertaining. I have been gigging regularly for about the last 30 years, in the area of 100 gigs per year. Still loving it.

I have always said, when gigging stops being fun, it is time to stop gigging.

You, sir, have a great attitude!

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I love to play. Every project I'm in I enjoy thoroughly. Party band, hippy band, Floyd band, doing blues jams, recording parts for people who need keys. I love it all. As a weekend warrior, I can pick when, where, and with whom I want to gig, so the fun factor is always there. Like KeyMoe- when it stops being fun, it's time to stop. Over 30 years of steady gigging. Nowadays it's only 3-5 times a month but that's fine with me, any more would take away some of the fun and make it too much like work.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Jazzmammal said: But, what if the AARP crowd are the only ones there?

I have been playing rock since the early 60s and I am having more fun now than ever...playing for the AARP crowd....and making way more $$$. I do a solo act and bill the show as a Rock & Roll Dance Party 50s/60s/70s. Nobody in my area is really doing anything like what I do. The AARP folks love to hear the tunes they grew up with and the still love to dance and they are very generous to my tip jar. Plus the venues I play, mainly upscale country clubs and private parties also pay way more than the lounges and local bars. And it is so much fun playing for folks who really like the music and always let me know it. I'm smilin' just thinking about it.

To add to my earlier post, I'm a big ham. I admit it, if there's an audience I'll play to them and try to drag out a response. That blues band did a gig two weeks ago at a decent bar near the airport. The singer comes up after we do a couple of instrumantals with Every Day I Sing the Blues. She wants me to do an intro so I asked her how strong an intro do you want and she said rip it up so I counted it off as a fast shuffle and did a smokin Jerry Lee boogie piano thing for 12 bars with some double and triple slides, I'm jumpin up and down in my seat and got some applause for it as she came up to start the song. One guy came up to me on the next break and said man, that was some hot shit. Sorry but I'm a whore for that, I eat it up even if a lot of the other stuff is boring. Same with rocking B3 with lots of body motion, palm smears (sometimes forearm smears) and the like. If there's even a small crowd for that, I'm all over it. Goes back to my Vegas days I guess, gotta try to put on a show while you're playing rock/blues in a bar. I don't do that so much on jazz gigs because I don't want to overshadow the other players.

On another occasion three or four years ago in my now defunct regular jazz gig Michael Cooper from the Lakers was there with some friends and he came up to me to say I was one of the best keyboard players he's seen. Players from that era are all big jazz fans and I'm OK but I'm certainly not up at anybody's level who's done albums and such but he said that and I was thrilled he said that. He didn't have to get up and come over to me especially a big name Laker like him. We were doing a lot of soul jazz like Chameleon, Put It Where You Want It, Tune 88 etc and him and his friends were eating it up, dancing in their seats. I love that shit and it doesn't happen very often but when it does it makes my year, you know?

Now that I'm writing this I have admit I just love to perform and can't live without it even in a blues bar band.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

You're in PA? Maybe there's just not much going on in your area? I'm originally from southeastern PA, and other than Philly, I never found much to be excited about in that part of state, musically speaking. Excitement abounds, but you might have to move to find it.

Yeah, that's a big part of it. This area is "deadsville" for sure. I've occasionally considered moving, but the thought of actually packing up and leaving friends and family behind is a bit scary.

:idk

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

If you get bored, if the excitement is missing, I suggest stepping into something untried, something different.

Grrrrrrrrr... Dawgz :mad:

Rolling outta bed in the middle of the night.

Barefoot.

Heading for the kitchen to get a midnight snack...

I stepped into something untried... something different.

(Note to me:)

Must keep door to kitty salon closed at night.

Brown crunchie things do not sit well on Dawg's stomach. :facepalm:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

If you get bored, if the excitement is missing, I suggest stepping into something untried, something different.

Grrrrrrrrr... Dawgz :mad:

Rolling outta bed in the middle of the night.

Barefoot.

Heading for the kitchen to get a midnight snack...

I stepped into something untried... something different.

(Note to me:)

Must keep door to kitty salon closed at night.

Brown crunchie things do not sit well on Dawg's stomach. :facepalm:

Love it and commiserate, as a person with a few pets that own me. :)
Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

I think we have all gone through that same issue.

What we have decided to do to spice things up is to have "theme nights." So, gig 1 will be "jam band music." Gig 2 - "blues night." Etc, etc. So far, it has been fun and it appears to different types of people, so you get different mixes of people on different gigs. Also, it helps build an overall broader audience. We shall see how it continues to go...

I love music but I just am real selective about what I do as I get older.

Same with me, but I often wonder if I'm just being too picky.

No with age you come learn what you can or can't deal with. It's not bad to be picky. I mean you have to give into certain things to play but you can be selective of your tolerance.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

with age you come learn what you can or can't deal with. It's not bad to be picky. I mean you have to give into certain things to play but you can be selective of your tolerance.

This is true. I'm just trying to figure out where I'm going to fit in over the next few years.

No with age you come learn what you can or can't deal with. It's not bad to be picky. I mean you have to give into certain things to play but you can be selective of your tolerance.

We all constantly compare our efforts to others.

When hearing a performer who meets or exceeds my expectations, I either:

Think that I will never be that good and start wondering how much can I get for my equipment on eBay, or...

Get motivated to practice, organize my music, and move forward with my goals.

Feedback is important.

Audience approval can be a wonderful thing. When I play a gig all I can think about the next day is playing the next gig. If I go too long without a gig I start having withdrawals and can get kinda grumpy. Too much longer without getting in front of an audience and... well, it's not pretty.

Composing, arranging, and/or recording - then asking friends & family for their feedback can be a waste of time. Many of them are not musicians and are simply going to respond, "That's great!" by default. Probably because I'm picking up the check for dinner. :)

Unless I can get no-strings-attached comments from people, it's hard to know the truth.

Often, my happiness from playing music is realized when I'm performing with a group and all the parts and voices come together. When I hear this the first time it always gives me a rush and reconfirms that this synergy is so much better than the individual parts alone.

Of course looking out and seeing an appreciative audience is pretty cool too!

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

[quote=Synthoid.... I'm just trying to figure out where I'm going to fit in over the next few years.

Feeling similar about this (and even occasionally checking gear values on eBay....). Two ideas have come to mind. Trying to put together a 2-3 piece with tracks has definitely added interest to playing covers, for me and even for the drummer and guitar. Naturally it is the most preparation for me but I am learning a lot about songs I've played for years, and about arranging and space.

Also, the way the dance scene is going makes me want to break out gear I haven't used in a while and become re-acquainted. I've even thought about forming a collaboration with another keyboard and a DJ to play EDM live.... And I just turned 55. :crazy:

Mark

"Think Pink Floyd are whiny old men? No Problem. Turn em off and enjoy the Miley Cyrus remix featuring Pitbull." - Cygnus64

Life is shorter than you think...make it count.

This is a great write up Tom , and says it all for me.

We all constantly compare our efforts to others.

When hearing a performer who meets or exceeds my expectations, I either:

Think that I will never be that good and start wondering how much can I get for my equipment on eBay, or...

Get motivated to practice, organize my music, and move forward with my goals.

Feedback is important.

Audience approval can be a wonderful thing. When I play a gig all I can think about the next day is playing the next gig. If I go too long without a gig I start having withdrawals and can get kinda grumpy. Too much longer without getting in front of an audience and... well, it's not pretty.

Composing, arranging, and/or recording - then asking friends & family for their feedback can be a waste of time. Many of them are not musicians and are simply going to respond, "That's great!" by default. Probably because I'm picking up the check for dinner. :)

Unless I can get no-strings-attached comments from people, it's hard to know the truth.

Often, my happiness from playing music is realized when I'm performing with a group and all the parts and voices come together. When I hear this the first time it always gives me a rush and reconfirms that this synergy is so much better than the individual parts alone.

This is a great write up Tom , and rings true with me.

My audience looks like this :D > http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130110083320/mrmeaty/images/2/26/Mr.meaty_characters.jpg

Brett

[quote=Synthoid.... I'm just trying to figure out where I'm going to fit in over the next few years.

Feeling similar about this (and even occasionally checking gear values on eBay....). Two ideas have come to mind. Trying to put together a 2-3 piece with tracks has definitely added interest to playing covers, for me and even for the drummer and guitar. Naturally it is the most preparation for me but I am learning a lot about songs I've played for years, and about arranging and space.

Also, the way the dance scene is going makes me want to break out gear I haven't used in a while and become re-acquainted. I've even thought about forming a collaboration with another keyboard and a DJ to play EDM live.... And I just turned 55. :crazy:

Mark

EDM???

What gear will you employ to perform with tracks?

Hi Tee. Backing tracks to do 80's covers with just 2 or 3 players that will switch instruments occasionally. I plan on using MIDI files played from sequencing software on a laptop (probably Power Tracks Pro) to modules. I'll play along the piano, organ and lead synth parts.

EDM=Electronic Dance Music. Having a blast with Arturia Spark Creative Drum Machine, PC3x, Clavia G2x, Poly Evolver, Juno 106, Studio Electronics ATC-x, V-Synth XT, ASB Minimax, and some Foogers. Quite manageable using a midi patcher.

Mark

"Think Pink Floyd are whiny old men? No Problem. Turn em off and enjoy the Miley Cyrus remix featuring Pitbull." - Cygnus64

Hi Tee. Backing tracks to do 80's covers with just 2 or 3 players that will switch instruments occasionally. I plan on using MIDI files played from sequencing software on a laptop (probably Power Tracks Pro) to modules. I'll play along the piano, organ and lead synth parts.

EDM=Electronic Dance Music. Having a blast with Arturia Spark Creative Drum Machine, PC3x, Clavia G2x, Poly Evolver, Juno 106, Studio Electronics ATC-x, V-Synth XT, ASB Minimax, and some Foogers. Quite manageable using a midi patcher.

Mark

Any way I could here what you are doing? All those synths sound like fun. That music is all about youthful fun.

Are all those synths hardware based ( as in a huge load of keyboards ) or software ( soft on the hatchbacks interior) based?

Ha! The only software is the Spark operatng system. Hardware all the way, Baby! I'll definitely post some stuff when it comes together. Thanks.

Mark

Yeah... same with me, Tom. May seem cheesy to some folks, but audience input is vital. If I perform an intense solo gig--and nobody comments--I can get rather grumpy as well.

Composing, arranging, and/or recording - then asking friends & family for their feedback can be a waste of time. Many of them are not musicians and are simply going to respond, "That's great!" by default.

Been there, done that.

http://www.wisdomportal.com/SheepYear/SheepFlock.jpg

Looks like a good group. :laugh:

I always enjoy getting out to play. I juggle random gigs with three country / rock bands in the area; and that provides an average of four gigs a month. Even if the band is 'off', I usually manage to keep myself amused. 'Tee had a good point about keepin' it in the groove. When that doesn't happen it can be a l o n g night. And one of the rhythm sections wouldn't know a non-rushed groove if it bit them in the big toe.

It was mentioned earlier that having players that regularly kick one's arse is beneficial. Other than the very rare, big band subbing I do, that hasn't been happening lately. Ballet class accompanying - which is basically a six-hour-a-week gig - does provide a kick in the seat, but it's definitely not my passion, musically. It's great practice, though. So an ass-kicking bunch of players on the horizon would be highly welcome.

Bozeman, MT, Dave Ferris ? Hmmm.... Gets pretty cold up that way ;) . Much more for your real estate $$ than CO, though - especially in Livingston, about 20 miles east of Bozeman.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Archived