Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Understanding DPC latency checker.

dalpozlead

This just not makes sense to me, the DPC latency checker shows 120 miliseconds as current latency, but I dont believe this is right (probably I`m the problem here, not the software). I think 120 would be impossible to play, but its not bad at all!

I thought that this software would measure latency depending on what VST I`m using, but this 120 mlscs appears to be more or less steady when Im using light vsts like the M1 from korg, or the EWQL S. Orchestra

Please what am I missing here guys?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you sure it milliseconds(mS) and not micro Seconds (uS)? Makes quite a difference.

ops, my mistake here, tks

In any case, isnt the latency linked with the type of VST/samples we are using? Should I see an increased difference between light and more demanding VTS?

IIRC DPC LC is looking at processor interrupts which lead to latency. If your system is showing a constant rate without a whole lot of activity that says it's able to handle everything you're throwing at it just fine without making some other process wait. AT least that's how I understand it.

Exactly right, Markyboard.

It's not for testing specific VST performance. In fact, you'll want to run it first without any DAW or VST host running, as well as any other non-essential applications and processes.

You'll look for spikes in activity. Those can be caused by background processes, like wifi, bonjour, etc. The idea is to disable non-essential processes one at a time to see what's causing the spikes.

That done, you can have more confidence that audio processing won't be interrupted by something else.

Then you can turn off DPC lc.

With your DAW/VST host running, you can use its CPU meter to determine how hard certain VSTs are pushing your machine, with latency determined (in part) by the sample rate and buffer in that host and how well your audio hardware performs.

Hope that helps.

-John

I make software noises.

Right. (Technical nit: the culprits are usually what are technically called "foreground processing" rather than "background processes," but I assume John is using the common meaning of "background", that is, stuff you're not thinking about.)

Furthermore, all DPC LC does is measure the longest amount of time the CPU is busy when your audio hardware and software might need attention. You can set your audio latency however you want, but if it's shorter than this max, then at times, you'll hear a dropout (usually a click or stutter).

Archived