Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DP with Speakers - Enough Volume for Cocktail Piano Gig?

Moonglow

So here's the situation. My band has a club job in mid-December, but I've also been asked to play a cocktail hour for a Christmas party (good $$$) earlier that evening at a different venue. So I will have to set up my gear at the club, go play the cocktail gig, then drive back to the club. I will have just barely enough time to get back to the club. Of course, there is no piano at the venue for the Christmas party, so I will have to bring a DP. I would normally use my Kurzweil PC3X (which I am no longer using for clubs) and a keyboard amp, but to minimize the load-out time I'm thinking of using my Casio CDP-100 which has built-in speakers. The Christmas party will be in a small banquet room for 75 people. Do you think this will provide enough volume?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the built-ins will work for you - especially with it being a Christmas party - people milling around in the festive spirit.

Have you checked as to whether they're having a DJ or at least a welcome speech? Maybe you could jack into the PA.

Here for the gear.

Hard to say but one way is to ask yourself, is your Casio as loud as a real medium sized grand like a 5.8 to a 6 footer?

I was in the exact same situation last year except the reception area for the big dance had a grand. This was at the Newport Islands Hotel and it sounds similar to what you're describing, maybe 75-100 people. All I know is that area was packed and I had to really dig into the grand to even hear myself. No way would some small built in speakers cut that, a grand can get pretty loud if you push it. I played for an hour and literally had to run into the main ballroom and the big band started as soon as I sat down at my PC3. I could have given myself a few minutes I guess but why bother? The band started at 8, I was powered up and ready so at about 7:58 I ran into the ballroom just in time for the downbeat.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Imagine it's 1920 and you have to play a little spinet for that room of 75 people. If your Casio's 8 watts per side is that loud, I'd say go for it.

A little spinet would project into the room. Those little nearfields onboard a DP can't.

You could always try, but for me - if they were paying good dough, as you say - I'd want to ensure they'd want me back next year, instead of thinking "What did we hire a pianist for? Couldn't hear him anyway."

Here for the gear.

75 people is a lot.. depending on how people are grouped, there could be 20-30 people speaking at once. Add in the cocktails, and things can pretty loud. Even though you are there for "atmosphere", I would look at some additional reinforcement to make sure you can be heard on the other side of room. Is it a hotel or restaurant? Many time they may have a "house" portable PA you can borrow/rent for the party. Good luck - sounds like you have a good Christmas season going!

Talking people can make an unbelievable amount of noise level - depending on the room of course.

Example of bar noise >

Reminds me of when I went to a school reunion some years back , and the sound of 1000 people talking in a hall, nearly all at once, was unbelievable. I have never heard anything like it , before or since.

Brett

I would say no. I did some parties while I used to gig with my old p120. Works for smaller rooms with quiet audience, but you have to crank it all the way up. Once the people loosen up you find yourself lacking volume. Had the same thing happen even with real pianos. Everything sounds great if people are gathered around the piano. People in the back do not hear anything.

75 people talking are pretty loud.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Yep Moon, it sounds like you're gonna need at least a Roland KC350 keyboard amp. Oh sh8t....where's Moe...gotta go. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I've had that situation a few times. I like to get one of my sons or a friend to help out. After you play, you just book out of there while he packs up your stuff and takes it home. Toss him $75 or so. You still come out way ahead and you've also spread a little $ around. Always a good thing, especially at Christmas :-)

Bought me a pair of these for use in just such situations:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B207MP3

At 11 lbs each, and tiny, I can put the pair in a messenger bag and throw it over my shoulder.

I'm used them on quarter gigs with drums, bass and sax, and they are capable of far more volume than I've ever needed. They sound way better than the on-board speakers on my P-140.

An EV ZXa1 is just 19 lbs and will give you plenty of volume. But otherwise, as I recall, Casio speakers aren't generally the loudest. A Yamaha or a Roland might take you further, if you can justify another board. Maybe try taking an SPL meter (or app if you have an iphone/ipad) to a store and compare the relative outs of a few boards to yours?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

No sir. That amount of people will require a bit more volume. There will be a significant amount of chatter from the guests. It's not like a dinner hour which is more mellow.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Chris-I used to use the Yamaha P120 for (what seemed like a bazillion) cocktail hour gigs and wedding ceremonies. It was kinda hit & miss in regards to enough coverage/projection with the internals of the P120.

For a cocktail hour where the band was playing right next door, and I had only minutes to hump my gear in for the setup, and I knew they just wanted the sound of "a piano playing" (translation=total wallpaper)--I'd more often then not just use the internals of the P120. I don't ever recall getting a complaint of not being able to hear the piano.

I remember using one of those old Fostex vocal monitors for the extra added oomph. It was pretty heavy compared to the lightweight stuff of today, but it sounded pretty good. I'd use that for the wedding ceremonies when people were paying attention more.

Being the stickler that I am about sound quality for piano, I'd probably go with one of those 19 lb. EVs that Scott mentioned.

I guess it boils down to..how much you think they will be listening or caring. That's the barometer for me on those type of gigs.

On the other hand they're paying you well, so I'd make it "right" and haul the speaker.

I've done my share of Christmas parties in the past, and I don't see how it's going to work given the number of people that are expected. My tipping point is roughly 50. Beyond that, I know that I'm going to have to slog some gear.

I remember one Christmas party that I could have pulled it off though. It was for a small newspaper, the employees were all older and really quiet, and it was in one of their conference rooms that had so much acoustic treatment that it was like an anechoic chamber in there. You could literally hear a pin drop most of the night.

This forum loves to talk high-end monitors, but even a lowly Behringer B212 will get you through in decent shape. I've found myself stuck on them for keyboard monitors a few times lately, and they really aren't all that bad.

even a lowly Behringer B212 will get you through in fine shape. I've found myself stuck on them for keyboard monitors a few times lately, and they really aren't all that bad.

I like the B208D. Cheap, small, and light. Not as neutral sounding for piano as the ZXa1, not as much bass, won't go as loud... but for a lot of uses, it works fine.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have found that as long as the bar is on the other side of the room you would be fine. Most of the talkers stay close to the bar and you are just wallpaper back ground noise. Take the money and run. If anyone wants it louder tell them the gig didn't pay enough.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Grab a powered speaker and throw it on the floor in wedge orientation. Put it about 6 feet behind/beside yourself, pointing at your head. You will be able to judge your volume, be heard, and it's not much extra to carry.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

+1 for Bill H and AnotherScott's Behringer suggestion - but the B210Ds rather than the B208. Roll the bass back to 9 or 10 o'clock.

They also work rather well as powered speakers for a little (very light and portable) PA if you don't already own one.

I also use a pair of Roland CM30s. They sound good - but the B210Ds are of a similar price, will go much louder if you do "PA" them, can be used on the floor like a wedge, take a standard speaker pole (CM30s take a mic stand), have a handle that the B208s lack - and are much lighter than the B212s.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Although the B208D lacks an official handle, it carries easily by putting your thumb in the opening for the pole mount, and then wrapping your other fingers around the piece that juts out from the back... functionally, it pretty much is a handle. And if you're going to roll the bass off the B210D, it's probably going to sound much like a B208D anyway!

Sometimes cocktail music and someone wants to sing? Sufficient keyboard, decent bass, and a channel with reverb for vocal?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

even a lowly Behringer B212 will get you through in fine shape. I've found myself stuck on them for keyboard monitors a few times lately, and they really aren't all that bad.

I like the B208D. Cheap, small, and light. Not as neutral sounding for piano as the ZXa1, not as much bass, won't go as loud... but for a lot of uses, it works fine.

Best bang for the buck imho. I picked up a pair of those last year for $252 delivered by Amazon. I finally thought ya know I'll never know if these are any good or not if I don't buy em and see. These little things are pretty good.

I did a five piece jazz gig last summer for a family memorial. It was in a small hotel ballroom that could seat 75 or so but there was only about 30 there. I put the pair behind me and I had the masters set at 2 o'clock but when I played some light piano for soundcheck that was too much and I backed them off to 12 o'clock which was good. I did the usual stuff, piano, organ, strings, scat voices etc and I thought they sounded great with my PC3. The bass rolloff actually helped, it cleaned up my sound compared to my EV ELX112P. This may sound sacrilegious to some and some may think I'm losing my hearing (I'm not) but I think they sounded just as good as the EV. I know they won't crank like the EV will but for smaller gigs I don't need that anyway.

I got lucky in that I have a very nice zippered reinforced amp case I used for my Peavy 500W old school boat anchor power amp and I looked at it one day and thought you know those two Beri's might just fit and guess what they do. It's as if that amp case was made for them. The case has a shoulder strap and it's a piece of cake to carry.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Archived