Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Considering Receptor VIP some questions..

jazzdoc52

Im thinking of downsizing my 2 keyboard rig (Yamaha motif x8, Nord 2 76

0, which I play in church for contemporary praise music. I just bought the Casio px5s, and am thinking of connecting that to a receptor. What are your'e experiences with the receptor? How hard is it to layer and split sounds? and is a virtual piano , such as Real Keys, worth the price over the excellent piano sounds of the Casio px5s?

(I need piano pads, and some organ for this gig.).

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The PX-5S is great for piano pads - I don't think you will find the need to run a virtual instrument for this. There are a lot of new ones available at http://CasioMusicForums.com

Have you also looked at running an iPad or Laptop for your virtual instruments.. I would look more that route for the simple reason of being able to use that iPad or Laptop for other uses... the MUSE will only be useful when you are playing so all that hardware is just sitting there the rest of the time. Just food for thought.

Also, if you are on Facebook, I invite you to join the PX-5S Facebook Group. Link is in my signature - come on over! :)

What are your'e experiences with the receptor? How hard is it to layer and split sounds? and is a virtual piano , such as Real Keys, worth the price over the excellent piano sounds of the Casio px5s?

I have a Receptor 2 and although the newer Receptors have a different UI and the "Live" mode feature, the concepts are roughly the same.

It's very easy to layer sounds, as you get 16 channels to put sounds on, and can set velocity trigger and split points for each. I wouldn't want to do that in real time, but if you set up before the gig, sure, it's easy.

The kicker with a Receptor is true for any other software-based solution: can it handle the virtual instrument(s) you are running, or does it choke? You'll know this by testing. Add to that whether the Receptor supports the VST you're trying to run. Don't know about RealKeys personally. I already had a heavy investment in VSTs, so getting a Receptor gave me both a more gig-ready solution than my (at the time) desktop PC, and also off-loads VST processing when I'm working in a DAW. If you are brand new to VSTs, you will be in for more configuration and futzing, and whether it's worth it depends on how much you want "that sound". I can't imagine a Motif + Nord not covering enough sound bases, so I assume you are looking to shave some weight.

What makes a "better" piano sound is pretty subjective, so we can't recommend "better," but were it me, I would use the heck out of the Casio before turning to a Receptor. Put another way, I'd figure out where the functionality of the PX5 ends and where the Receptor can pick things up.

What are you doing with the Nord and Motif now? That would help us guide you. For example, you won't be able to replace the sequencing/song functions of the Motif if you ditch it. You won't get a full set of draw buttons and all the real-time controls as on the Nord. And you'll have to set up the PX5 controllers to control it (and the Receptor) the way you need to.

I would look more that route for the simple reason of being able to use that iPad or Laptop for other uses... the MUSE will only be useful when you are playing so all that hardware is just sitting there the rest of the time.

But so is the Nord and Motif! I'm not sure I understand this argument :) Laptops and iPads are great general purpose devices that can be used in live settings, but there are considerations there as well.

-John

I make software noises.

What are your'e experiences with the receptor? How hard is it to layer and split sounds? and is a virtual piano , such as Real Keys, worth the price over the excellent piano sounds of the Casio px5s?

Here's some thoughts.

Receptor is easy to split and layer assuming you have a monitor and mouse connected to it. If you're going to use a lot of different sounds, you may need to plan for load times.

The Receptor is not a good instrument for a novice to use. If you are the only one using it and you're knowledgeable this is a non-issue. (I also play at church and most of the other keyboard players have limited technical knowledge).

I have Ivory American Concert D. It is amazing and far better than any workstation/stage piano I've ever played. In the context of a band mix (assuming you have that at your church), it may neutralize some of the benefits of a VST piano. I find that pianos that work well for solo work generally don't work as well in a band, and vice-versa.

Is it worth price of admission? Tough to answer, but certainly you're going to be around $2K for a Receptor and software. You may be better off with something like the Yamaha CP4.

Hope this helps.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

I would look more that route for the simple reason of being able to use that iPad or Laptop for other uses... the MUSE will only be useful when you are playing so all that hardware is just sitting there the rest of the time.

But so is the Nord and Motif! I'm not sure I understand this argument :) Laptops and iPads are great general purpose devices that can be used in live settings, but there are considerations there as well.

-John

I guess what I was getting at is if you are getting a "box" to handle sounds, you may also want to look at an iPad or Laptop.. for the simple reason of getting more uses. Nothing against the Muse.. it was just something for him to consider. :)

The PX-5S can handle splits and layers quite well and has 14 layers and 256 poly - so based on what he said was looking for he would only need a better organ.

Just giving options. :wave:

In terms of the capability for live performance, comparing an iPad to a Receptor is about as logical as comparing a Smart Car (iPad) to a Transformer (Receptor).

I have both.

In terms of novice use, I was one of those. When it comes to tech, I rate below novice. That said, the Receptor is one of the best pieces of gear I own, and I know I dont use it to its full potential. But I bought it because now I have a Mellotron, CS80, MiniMoog (x3), Odyssey, Oscar, Hammond (x3), Rhodes, Wurli, clavinet, Prophet 5, OBX, ARP String Ensemble, Elka String Machine, Freeman String Synthesizer and a whole lot more in a rack for less than a fraction of what one of those instruments would cost. And compared to those types of sounds in a hardware synth, forget it: IT SPANKS.

The Receptor is the easiest machine Ive ever had to set up splits, layers, etc., and much easier to do than on my old JVracks, Motifs, Fantom, etc. The trick is getting the software you want into it (which can be awkward), but I think you can buy it preloaded?

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

The trick is getting the software you want into it (which can be awkward),

Truer words were never spoken.

My experience trying to load Komplete 8 was time-consuming, unpleasant and ultimately unsuccessful. Granted, I purchased my Receptor used, but I ended up sending it back to Muse and had the drive re-imaged.

After what I went through trying to load Komplete, I was tickled to pay them to do it.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

The PX-5S can handle splits and layers quite well and has 14 layers and 256 poly - so based on what he said was looking for he would only need a better organ.

Amen, Scott. I haven't been able to put my hands on one yet, but look forward to it.

I was actually considering the Casio as a lighter replacement for my PC3 (still am, in fact, assuming I can sell my PC3 for a decent price). It would also control a Receptor rather nicely from what I can tell (class compliant USB MIDI, enough sliders for my needs, highly configurable stage settings, etc.).

-John

I make software noises.

In terms of the capability for live performance, comparing an iPad to a Receptor is about as logical as comparing a Smart Car (iPad) to a Transformer (Receptor).

To be fair, I said iPad or laptop.. they are both very viable options for live use depending on what your needs are. I am just going by what OP stated in his post: Piano pads and organs for a contemporary church service.. they may indeed have other uses that need the horsepower a Receptor has.. or maybe not. IDK - I was just giving them options. :)

To be fair, I said iPad or laptop.. they are both very viable options for live use depending on what your needs are. I am just going by what OP stated in his post: Piano pads and organs for a contemporary church service.. they may indeed have other uses that need the horsepower a Receptor has.. or maybe not. IDK - I was just giving them options. :)

Certainly options can be a good thing. iPad apps and the PX-5S are indeed powerful tools - for the money. And perhaps for the OP's application going deeper into the PX-5S, and then exploring further options would be prudent.

On the other hand, when I read that a NS2, 76 and a Motif XF 8 are the OP's current, main instruments, I wonder about relying strictly on the PX-5S as synth - or even adding a more budget oriented 'module' solution (iPad, etc.). The Nord and Yamaha instruments are simply at a different level sonically; and the investment - to a degree - reflects that. Yeah, the gap has been closed somewhat by some solid sounding instruments in the $1K area; but the difference between a PX-5S / VR-09 combination vs. a Motif XF8 / Stage 2 combination is still evident. And especially the same between an iPad running apps - great as some of them are - and a Muse Receptor VIP.

Tony is one of the resident experts on the Receptor; and his is one of the mid generation models, IIRC. The new units which feature enhanced editing / programming capabilities look to be quite a bit of fun. Across the board it's one heck of a powerful music tool - either way. I had a purchased-as-demo Receptor that pre-dated Tony's. Granted I had some issues with it a few years back, but after getting the opportunity to explore a loaded Receptor 2 last fall, and having checked out the new models, they are solid, reliable gear investments.

I've used an iPad live on many occasions; it's useful, but I have experienced some live interaction / playability issues. Compared to using a laptop live though, the iPad's a breeze for me. Those are my issues though; others here have had great luck using a notebook computer on stage.

I had thought about upgrading my piano to a CP4, and adding a KeyB Expander for organ; but I like the core keyboards that are in my rig. So making use of the software instruments in which I've invested heavily seemed wiser. So I choose to give the Receptor Trio a shot for hosting Ivory American Concert D, Pianoteq 4, VB3, Omnisphere, and other assorted stuff.

So it seems that a combination of a PX-5S and Receptor VIP would work very well. It's the pairing of an instrument having some higher-end controller features and solid sounds with a module that is sonically in league with the XF8 - and beyond, due to its fairly open-ended software instrument capabilities. Seems a winning combination that's worth exploring.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Archived