Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Simplifying the rig; a lesson from a touring player

EscapeRocks

As many of you know, I got to hang out with Journey's former lead singer, Steve Augeri, a week or so ago. I also acted as their "keyboard tech" for their show here.

Their keys player, Craig is a super cool dude. He gave me a "tour" of his rig and we exchange thoughts on various things in the keyboard world.

He gave me a bunch of tips and tricks from the standpoint of a touring pro who doesn't have major tour roadies ;)

His big tip: simplify.

So, on my last gig, I did just that. Wow... what a difference.

Taking a clue right from Craig, I used my PX350 and Korg M50-61. Left the MOX8 at home.

I also left at home my heavy rack with power, in ear wireless transmitter, guitar wireless, etc..

So my setup consisted of my two boards (lightweight), a Rolls MX122 mixer, my old Radial Dual DI, and my in ear ear phones.

What a joy. Easy setup, no heavy lifting, ready to go in minutes.

Wiring was thus:

1 line from each board to DI box in.

1 line from DI box "thru" to Rolls mixer.

DI outs to FOH

FOH feed for in ears to Rolls mixer

Plugged earphone line into phones jack on Rolls mixer.

Done. Simple. I controlled the levels of my keys and monitor mix from my Rolls mixer. The Rolls is small and sits on top left of my PX350.

Sounded great, and I was not tired before the show or after load out.

For my current gig, I don't need more than that for the sounds I need. The M50 gets me the non-piano sounds I need. Plus, it's much earlier to setup as a slave board than the MOX

Sometimes less is more!

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
David,

Thanks for this. A good timely nudge for me.

Sometimes less is more!

Welcome! Sometimes it's hard for us (me) to see what we're doing until someone questions it. I know that for me, who started gigging in the days of huge A Frame stands and as many pieces of equipment as I could fit, it's hard to change the thinking.

Maybe a combination of getting older, and learning what I really need for a gig made the difference. Craig was the firts to ask, "why?" when I told him how I set up.

David

My problem is I'm like that pack rat cartoon. Which means I'll pull out the VP7 vocal processor for two tunes, and play rhythm guitar on two tunes, and all of a sudden I'm schlepping more gear than the drummer. When what that particular band really needs from me is less frosting on the cake and more out-front performance.

I've been giving this "simplify the rig" thing a shot the last few gigs. I've taken nothing but a Korg Microstation and a Microkorg, a two-tier Ultimate Support Apex stand with attached mic boom, and a Behringer B205D powered speaker on a mic stand for my personal monitor and mixer (it has XLR out, so it doubles as the direct box). Both keyboards fit into one softcase (includes cables and mics) and the whole shooting match takes at most two trips (one in a pinch) to carry in. I can setup in about five minutes.

I guess it depends on the style of music, but for the dance band I play in this rig works great. Do I miss not having a a B3 clone, or this fancy Vintage Vibe EP I payed a shitton of money for? Sure I miss em. I'm not sure the audience can tell a bit of difference though, sadly. If I were fortunate enough to be playing gigs where the audience would hear and appreciate the difference then I'd gladly bring more stuff. Til then though, I'll just enjoy the high end stuff at home and keep gigging with the microstation and microkorg.

Favorite Gear:Vintage Vibe 73 w/MIDI, Microkorg, ipad2 with lotsa apps, VB3, Rhodes 88, Roland VK8, Fantom XR, Brainspawn Forte

I'm in much the same boat, hoggernick. Dance bands = diminishing returns. I think the audience responds more to outrageous, demonstrative performance cues than a subtle vocoder accent. Still torn on this - the perfectionist in me wants to bring every accent I can cover as a matter of pride and work ethic. The performer in me sees the audience response when I'm chasing gals around on the dance floor with the keytar.

This is the reason that I run in mono and that I don't use MIDI live. I'm not a touring pro but I do embrace simplicity.

I added a Boss FDR pedal but it was only for one channel of my NE2, required another audio cable and a power source and I only used it on the Rhodes sound. I liked its effect, but it is not in the rig anymore.

EscapeRocks, I agree that less is more. 18 years with the same band. Built up equipment over the years and found I was in a foul mood most of the time before we played because it would take so long to set up. I had at one point: Yamaha P90-88, Hammond XK-2, Alesis Q6.1 on top, Motion-Sound R3-147, a small mixer, Standtastic 3-tier stand with a huge footprint as big as the drummer's, JBL Eon15, and lots and lots of cables and cords. Now I'm down to a single table-like stand and one Kurzweil PC3. I searched for two years for a keyboard that had good APs and Eps, good organ sound with 9 drawbars, good horn and string sounds, and good synth sounds. Kurzweil is such a small company that I missed the PC3 when it first came out. The whole band has switched to in-ears, so very little to load in. Less is more.

Kurzweil PC4

So what was Craig's rig?

He uses a Fantom G8 and a Fantom X7. A Rolls MX122 mixer just as I described for his monitoring.

Granted, when flying to out of state gigs (they;re from NY/NJ)He backlines the keys and just brings his thumb drive with setup for the G8, and plug in boards for the X7.

David

Simplify: one lightweight keyboard that can handle piano/organ and lLightweight powered speakers. Use a wheeled road case (not a heavy ATA case but one of the under $200 cases for the keys, likewise a wheeled bag or bags for the speakers. No the rig won't sound like a B3 w/Leslie or an acoustic piano but it will get the gig done and as mentioned in posts above 99% of your audience will not know the difference.

Exactly, B3b59.

Now, I still have my MOX and will not part with it. There are some side gigs I do where I need the full palette it brings.

As you said, the lightweight transport is nice. Two boards in hardsided gig bags weighing a total of 40lbs, my mic stand, my key stand on a ROcknRoller cart.

Then an old Anvil "briefcase" with my DI Mixer and cables.

LOL I feel like our singer now, no hassle setup :)

David

I simplified dramatically 3 years ago and have never been happier. I was carrying 8 separate Heavy Items in full flight cases etc. Two or three boards, two powered speakers, stand or two, briefcase, rolling cart and sometimes more.

Now I use my Nord Stage 2 in rolling gig bag, rolling keyboard stand, and rack with IEM rig, Vent, power. Three light pieces that can be moved in one trip if I want. Liberating!

Same reason i went from a weighted 88 and a 76 key synth with a motionsound low pro/ pro 3t to one semi-weighted 76 and a vent.. Lighter, easier, and faster setup. I went from the last one to pack up to the 1st one to pack up at night's end.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Simple = good for me (and +1 to the Einstein quote!).

For most gigs (funk, soul, classic rock), I just take a Kurzweil SP4-7, an EON10G2 powered speaker, a stand and a pedal bag. One trip if need be - much easier!

I think there is a sense that it's easy to just buy more gear to get more sounds, when it's possible to program many modern keyboards to get surprisingly good sounds that aren't in the presets. The Fantom X7 mentioned in this thread is a good example: you can hear on YouTube what Rush or Frost (Jem Godfrey) can do with theirs as their main keyboard.

I try to simplify, but it doesn't always work. I can get by with 2 boards on my dance/variety band, but I like playing the Moog so I bring that. For the deadhead hippy band, I can get by with just my Stage compact, but I like having the weighted action of the Yamaha so I bring that. Since that band is only doing a few gigs a year at larger venues, I bring the Moog too, why not. :) for the Floyd tribute, I need it all plus a sampler and probably will end up bringing my netbook and audio/midi interface as well.

I really don't have a lot of gear. 3 boards, 1 in a hard case and 2 in soft cases. A 10 space rack with mixer, power, vent, etc. K10 as a monitor. Stantastic 2 tier and an X stand. Drum throne. Small soft sided suitcase with pedals, cables, and my most important item, a fan. I can load this in in 2 trips. One trip on the handcart for everything but the big keyboard case, and the 2nd trip, wheel the big case in.

I can scale it back, the other night I played a blues jam with just the Stage, K10, x-stand and stool, and a little 4ch mixer to boost the Stage signal. I packed cords and pedals I needed in the zipper compartment of the stage gig bag. I didn't take the hand cart so it was still 2 trips.

My lack of concern over hauling gear is that I also haul most of the PA for the dance/variety band. 2 subs, 2 tops, poles, cord box, a couple cases that have lights. Carrying an extra keyboard like the Moog is minor. On the gigs where I'm not hauling the PA, bringing my whole key rig is really an easy load in/out compared to the PA gigs.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I simplified it down to a Roland RD-64 for tonight's gig. It's a jazz trio accompanying a singer. The laptop, romplers, VAs and Moogs are staying at home. I am playing more with less. I am not doing ear candy except stuff that is physically on the keyboard. It feels great. The PA is being provided by the drummer and I can hear myself perfectly through it. :thu:

I just started playing with a basic club/pub soul band - it's not too demanding but allows me to get some extra gigs in. I started out with Stage but quickly realised I can all I really need to do with the PC361. Very compact (needs to be in many of these spaces) but has all I need sonically (the amount/demands of piano parts is fairly low). May add the Vent on a dedicated output for Hammond.

As a passing shot, is anyone here using in-ears in isolation, i.e. without other members of the band doing so? If so, what provision do you have for bringing in all the "external" sounds - always a FoH feed, or is anyone doing anything less sophisticated than that?

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Simplifying.... My first aha ! moment happened in the early 90's, when three keyboards, and a phone booth rack quickly stopped making sense. Going from an original band to a cover act that plays fests and packed clubs with small stages will do that.

I've pretty much kept it to two keyboards, or less, since then; sometimes there's a 4-space rack, other times I just use a Rolls mixer that sits on the bottom keyboard. Even though trying the laptop / software instrument route didn't add much to the load, it did increase the complexity of the setup. And its effect was largely lost on bar crowds; i.e. - the " Wetting one's pants in a dark suit " concept.

Next weekend I gig with the 'We keep adding members' band; and naturally the stage has become a sardine tin. Last time with that band my keyboard ended up partly extended over a stage railing - into the pool area. Think I need a missile shield for my Nord, or at the very least a sneeze guard. Feeling well overdue for a tour, at this point :D .

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I've just gone from ancient and heavy Roland VK7/Vent and Yamaha S08/p50m to a simpler, lighter set-up: Casio PX-5S on the bottom and a 14 lb M Audio Axiom/VB3/1.5 lb Netbook velcroed to it. Then going with a 20 lb Casio WK-7500 with souped up pianos on the bottom for the Band practice room and smaller gigs. I'll be selling the S08 and either my MM6 or VK7 to help finance the new stuff. Not sure if the VK7 is worth saving for anything as it has just resided in its gig bag for the last few weeks. I may be doing gigs without the Vent and just using VB3's Sim but I need to A/B both a bit more to see if the extra piece is worth it for a Rock Band/ Club venue. I did the last gig with just VB3 and I had 2 keyboard players from other bands come up to me saying how good it sounded.

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

I'm down to just a Kurzweil pc361...though I'd probably use my (older) Virus if I had a need for a lot of synth stuff (I love that board). The stages on many of the places we play are so small that having one 61-key board is sooooo much easier...load-in is one trip considering I use in-ears, two actually if I bring my barber-chair stool, and setup is less than 5 minutes.

On the down side, I would prefer a stage piano, ideally 64-76 keys (but the RD-64 and S70xs are not contenders for different reasons). If I get a CP4 that will expand my rig again. I also worry about having all my eggs in one basket so to speak. Last night someone said my keys "dropped out" for half of one song, but in monitors i was fine...not sure if the keyboard output, a cable, or the main mixer was to blame but that's a scary thing.

Interesting that a Rolls mixer was mentioned--I used mine last night to give me more monitoring control (our sound guy gives me a super-compressed keys signal, I hate it...my solution is to not listen to it from the monitor send) and I wasn't happy with the sound I got. Something was muddying things up--I need to sit down and A/B to see if the Rolls was coloring the sound.

I just started playing with a basic club/pub soul band - it's not too demanding but allows me to get some extra gigs in. I started out with Stage but quickly realised I can all I really need to do with the PC361. Very compact (needs to be in many of these spaces) but has all I need sonically (the amount/demands of piano parts is fairly low). May add the Vent on a dedicated output for Hammond.

As a passing shot, is anyone here using in-ears in isolation, i.e. without other members of the band doing so? If so, what provision do you have for bringing in all the "external" sounds - always a FoH feed, or is anyone doing anything less sophisticated than that?

Aidan, I've done wired, in-ears using a Behringer RX-1602. I dedicate channel 1 to a FOH feed for monitoring, and leave the Main send zeroed. By using the Aux level as a personal monitoring feed - for both the FOH input, and my keyboard(s) this rig works great for either a powered cabinet (via the Aux send), or IEM's (via the front panel headphone out). It does involve adding a one space, line mixer to a small rig though; perhaps there's a way to place that which doesn't involve adding a racking unit.

The other thing that could be done is to use two, ultra-compact line mixers ( Rolls MX-28, or one of the ART models) that would sit on your keyboard. Use one for mixing your keyboard(s) via Main outs, then feed the headphone out to inputs 1/2 of the second mixer - along with the FOH feed to another channel. Then monitor yourself and the FOH mix from that mixer - via the headphone out for IEM's, or the Main out to a powered cabinet.

If I don't need a FOH monitor input, I use a single, Rolls MX-28 for compact rig mixing. In that case the headphone out is used to feed my powered cabinet - to keep my personal monitoring level separate from the mains.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Very often I walk in and play the piano provided.

Other then that, I got out of the two keyboard scene years ago. More importantly, I made a decision to stop playing the kind of music that required "two keyboards". :thu::cool:

I sleep much better at night and overall feel a much more sense of well being. ;)

For what I do, the NP2 (probably to be replaced by the CP4 at some point), a pair of very compact/lightweight, high quality RCF TT08A speakers along with a preamp/di that fits in a small computer case/bag does the job.

More cables then I want to futz with but too much pride to go the keyboard amp route. ;)

I am also a fan of simple; I usually use a Jupiter 50 and Nord E3, this mostly for the organ sounds. We are a classic rock band.

I took one bank of the 8 on the J50 and tried my best to make the organ sounds equal to the Nord's...I couldn't, but got within about 85-90%...this way, for small gigs, I just carry only the J50 and a correspondingly smaller keyboard stand. As mentioned earlier, 98% of the audience can't tell the difference.

I also hooked the holy grail, the Ventilator, back up to the keyboards for an A/B test on one and/or both boards. Remember, this is basing it on a live rock gig; the result is that I put the Vent away. Just not worth the extra wiring, etc. for what we do.

If I were playing a really special gig I of course would use it, but again if 98% of the people can't tell the difference with all the drums and guitars blaring, it's not worth bringing.

I also did this for gigs when I just used my K10 as a monitor. Went out and bought this Mackie SM150 and a mike stand and put it alongside the keyboard(s) at shoulder height...more compact setup closer to the old noggin, I can hear better than ever. I found that when I used the K10 placed back behind me as a monitor, in order to hear myself over the guitars, I turned it up "more", which soon encouraged the guitar next to me to do the same, etc. etc. No more. Cool!

Partial Quote:

Very often I walk in and play the piano provided.

More cables then I want to futz with but too much pride to go the keyboard amp route. ;)

Yep, might as well sell your soul if you go the KB amp route. Great playing in.....garbage out. :cry:

Cheers!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

When i do fly in gigs i only carry my M Audio gig bag with my apple computer and my XV2020 Roland module-these two do the job on a Nord Stage 88 and an M Audio Axiom that the venues provide me. All sounds are "my" sounds, so there is no compromise nor surprises. I usually play the AP and Ep sounds from the Nord but i find the Scarbee samples and the Pianoteq sounds more than adequate and i use them many taimes. When i play at home i tend to bring my Nord Electro 3 and try to do the job with just this. When more sounds are required i will just bring my Korg X50, which is lightweight and covers strings, accordians etc. Many times these days i play on acoustic pianos-there I'm really happy....
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I do wired in-ears (wireless is too much hassle, see the original post!) but my timesaver is a Rolls PM351. It's a miniature (videotape-size) 3-input mixer/headphone amp, but the secret weapon is a splitter on the mic input and a DI on the instrument input. So mic and keys feed the mixer and passthrough to FoH. The third input is a monitor mix.

So I've got mic->mixer->FoH, keys->mixer->FoH, Aux->mixer, mixer->ears. I can cope with that.

To some other posts above - I like the two-keyboard thing. If I'm playing a "busking"/"follow-along" gig, I like to easily dial in a pair of sounds without worrying about splits. However my rig is an NS2 and a controller - so for some rapid-setup festival gigs I've just brought the Nord.

Cheers, Mike.

Archived