Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me with my brilliant career.

Chad Thorne

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some girls use XOXO the same way some people use 'Regards' on the end of an email or txt - it's just their standard ending.

BTW that's a nice 'tube - good looks beautifully made up and nice voice.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

She can send me XOXO's any day!

But I think we've strayed a bit from the original topic, i.e. Chad gets to back a hot singer :thu:

And for the politically correct ones amongst you, let me throw in that "hot" could easily refer to her vocal capabilities, so there :P

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

And for the politically correct ones amongst you, let me throw in that "hot" could easily refer to her vocal capabilities, so there :P
Of course you're right, David; but the fact is, I (and probably many of us) have backed chick singers who believed that their sexy looks = talent, or at least a substitute for talent. The "hotness" for me with Rebecca is that she really is amazingly talented. She sang "Chain Of Fools" with us the other night and tore the place down.

Sounds like a cool gig, Chad! Rebecca definitely has a great voice. And it always helps when a singer has some charisma/something else to help put them over with a crowd.

It sounds like she's got some serious interest from music biz types in NYC. I guess I'm a little curious about why she's back in Portland, Maine. It's not exactly the hotbed of the music industry, a fact that I'm sure you are very well aware of. Is she gigging to keep herself in fighting shape? Anyhow, the latin angle of some of the material on YouTube is a nice twist. Wyclef did that funky version of "Killing me softly" with the Fugees and it was a hit record, so I was surprised to hear her doing it, too, with Wyclef. But the latin vibe on her version was a good way of making it her own.

It's nice about the "XOXO's" in the emails, and all. I just hope she makes good on things and you get paid. I've had a couple of singers try the old bat of the eyes at me. And yeah, the attention is nice. But it's left me wary about hot singers trying to use that hotness so that they don't have to pay their bands accordingly.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Her story is that she accrued debt doing the CDs so is back at home in Portland earning money to pay it off. She also alluded to "relationship stuff," so maybe she's back at Mom's healing a bit.

At least so far she's not using her hotness in that way. Friendly, warm, down-to-earth, but not really flirtatious, at least not with me. And, as I say, the gig is pass-the-hat so I'm not expecting much money, maybe not even covering my gas, since I live an hour north of Portland. I'm just doing this to play this great music with this great singer, and maybe hang with some NY cats a little. "One never knows, do one?"

P.S. I thought the same thing about "Killing Me Softly" but as I look around it seems to me to be some kind of chick singer standard. Several others have covered it, e.g., Pink...

Fair enough. Making a record on that level with guys like Wyclef is going to be a serious financial undertaking. And the kind of debt that could incur? I know people who have spent tens of thousands of dollars on records that went NOWHERE and wound up in bankruptcy. I hope she's able to avoid that particular pitfall.

If she's being upfront about the pass the hat status of the gig, then that seems cool. It sounds like a cool opportunity. Playing with great musicians always seems to help everyone elevate their game. Is the gig at a good venue? And would it be amenable to the Latin music that she's doing?

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

The venue, "Blue," is a very simpatico place. They get a lot of different kinds of music in there because - well, they don't have to pay...The owner, Terez, is very upfront about getting up and urging folks to kick in some cash. And she provides the sound system. Little bit of a "hipster" joint. The only problem I have with the place is the stage is TINY. Oh, well.

Check this one, an original:

I figured it might be Blue. And I also figured that it wasn't Slainte, where I played when I was in town. THAT was a tiny stage, and our booking wasn't the greatest.

Rebecca seems like she can very quickly become the big fish in the little pond that's Portland. Who knows, maybe this could lead to some regional touring?

I figured it might be Blue. And I also figured that it wasn't Slainte, where I played when I was in town. THAT was a tiny stage, and our booking wasn't the greatest.

Rebecca seems like she can very quickly become the big fish in the little pond that's Portland. Who knows, maybe this could lead to some regional touring?

Hope so, and i hope she takes me along...

Good, good! Positive thinking. I like it :thu:

What is the rest of her music / set like, Chad? Is it a load of originals, or all "standards" or a mixture? How long will you be playing, and will there be a rehearsal too? Will you get to record the show for your own listening pleasure?

Here's a link to her Bandcamp page: http://www.rebeccakingsley.bandcamp.com/

I think all the songs but "Killing" are original. One of her two CDs is "bachata," a Latin genre. The other is kind of jazz/R&B/soul.

No rehearsal; two hr. show, compensation is by "pass the hat." At the show we're going to do some covers - Norah Jones, Chaka Khan, Aretha - as well as the originals.

I am currently shedding like a mofo...

I always say "grab the brass ring" if you're up for it. Good going, Chad!

I seriously hope Wyclef comes out for a "pass the hat" show in Lewiston, Maine, but as you can understand I am a bit skeptical.

When I did that thing with Altantic recording artist Ty Stone there was a lot more support and production than just playing the local watering hole. Vinnie Dombroski (Sponge) was a guest judge and Uncle Kracker's manager was there along with a lot of peeps in the local music scene.

I talked about playing with a local 20something female singer/songwriter who recorded CDs in Nashville. Her shows were mostly paid cover gigs (with originals). As far as I know her Nashville celebs never came up here; she eventually moved to Nashville instead.

A local 20something male singer/songwriter I know recorded a CD in NYC and nothing ever came of it. Now he mostly plays cover shows around town (some of which I've played).

Anyway, good luck, Chad!

(And don't wear your t-shirt with jeans.) ;)

Yeah, I'm just professionally head over heels crazy about this girl. Gorgeous, great voice, great songs, not a diva or a substance abuser so far as I can tell. And she wants me to play bass for her.

[i have the impression that there aren't many bassist around here who could cut this gig. Rawk, modern country, blues, emo/alternative; next to no jazz/contemporary R&B/hip-hop in this area. But I still have to ask Rebecca what about my playing made her think I could do it. We were only playing blues, after all...]

So it might wind up being the one 2-hr. gig, or I might be leaving on the Rebecca Kingsley World Tour in a year or two. I'm o.k. either way!

she told me that two guitarists, a drummer and a keyboard player are flying in from NYC to play with her
Any more info on this front?
Latest is that a drummer and guitar/keys guy are going to play with us. They live in Maine; not clear whether they have a NYC connection or not. Or I may have misunderstood. Or maybe the NYC guys flaked out. Anyway. I'm planning on having fun either way.

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote this on Facebook: "What a lovely time playing at Blue last evening with Rebecca Kingsley, Kyle Friday and David Ellis. "Intimate" is a word for the venue, lol, but the audience were lovely, and although the four of us never played together before, we got through it mostly. Almost like playing in someones' living room."

It was really like that. At the beginning Rebecca told the audience that we four had never played together before, so they just chuckled at the "What key?" and one false start stuff. Of course, it did help that once we got started it was Rebecca singing, which covered a multitude of sins. Not that I want to suggest that it was a train wreck! The guys I played with are good, professional players (not from NYC) and played great.

The upshot was 1) great crowd response; 2) between the kitty and CD sales we pulled in $312.00, unheard of at Blue, where mostly struggling artists play for poor college students, etc. R. split it with us equally. $78.00 is at the low end for gig pay around here, but I was expecting/hoping for 20 bucks for gas money.

By the way, you folks (not "guys" - hi, Nancy!) will appreciate this, I love it. I asked R. that since I was just playing blues the evening we met, she felt I'd be able to handle her stuff. She replied, "It was the way you were listening when I was talking about my music, and the kinds of questions you were asking."

Chad, this is really awesome. Rebecca sounds like an incredible person and I totally love the fact that she did an equal split of proceeds. I think I will look into ordering her albums, just to support her some :)

Way cool about her reason for hiring you, too! Will there be more collaborations in the future between you and her?

Archived