Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me with my brilliant career.

Chad Thorne

Last evening we played out. The waitress, as it turns out, is a singer, a very good singer, who just released two CDs that she recorded in NYC with the likes of Bernard Purdie, Mark Whitfield and Wyclef Jean. I know, huh?

She's doing a gig here in Portland later in the month.

she told me that two guitarists, a drummer and a keyboard player are flying in from NYC to play with her; then she asked me if I was available to play bass. "Oh, hell, yes," I told her. I emailed her and messaged her on Facebook this morning, just confirmed my availability and again expressed my interest in playing with her.

I'm so excited by this prospect I can't tell you. If I don't hear from her, how long should I wait to follow up? (I also have a phone number.) Those of you who play or have played in the bigger leagues, I could really use some advice about how to handle this situation. Thanks.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The night vision goggles at her domicile might be just a bit over the top.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Being observant of the post where you claim to have "probably played more late-night bar gigs than (I've) have had hot meals", my direct response to your serious question is to let it go. She'll call you if she remembers, or needs you. You've done what you've done, anything more would border on pathetic to me. Be patient, if she calls, she calls. If she doesn't? What difference does it make? Congratulations on taking advantage of the opportunity. I could say more but I've got a casserole bubbling hot in the oven and have to prepare for my own gig.

I was playing an outdoor gig in West Palm and was asked if I was interested in a 6 day gig in Key West at Margaritaville. No specifics initially, but I got a set list and was told that I'd be working with Terry Brock. You can Google Terry Brock, but I'll say he had been part of "Kansas" for two years and had a career as a session vocalist in the jingle market in NYC for several years.

I ended up doing 4 gigs at Margaritaville with Terry over three years... maybe it could have been more, but I had other obligations and responsibilities at that point.

What was it like? Here's a video of Terry (and Mike Slamer - Google him too - it's worth it)... I'm Not In Love - Terry Brock/Mike Slamer

I've never had so much fun on the gig and it was worth every minute...all on a whim.

Terry's a nut (in a good way), and the gig was as much fun as it looks from that vid.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

OK, so booking my solo act only has a little bit in common with this cool situation. My take: If I don't shake the tree enough, I will be forgotten and will have zero chance of getting the gig. If I shake the tree too much and piss off the other party involved, that's not good; but it is totally way, way, way more likely to result in the gig than if I'm forgotten.

Shake the tree. Maybe a facebook message instead of the phone call? So overall, I'm with Ross. The "schedule filling up" line is accurate enough to actually be true and isn't creepy by any standards.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Thanks, everybody, for your advice. Well, I've decide to call this p.m., very matter-of-fact and businesslike. I'll say (reasonably) that maybe she hadn't had a chance to look at the computer lately; and also, since a lot of her songs are originals, I'll need a set list to shed some of the tunes prior to.

Her tone Thursday evening was very much that if I was available, I had the gig. Should; the place she's playing is a "pass the hat only" place so she doesn't have to think about paying me.

Sound good?

Since I'm not a pro, or even semi-pro, I'd recommend giving the gig a shot, unless you have a paying gig that night.

If she has CD's out but is playing "pass the hat" gigs, maybe she needs a better agent?

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

You only live once. Do you want to say you blew your big shot by being too cool to following up, or by being an insecure, needy mess?

If it's meant to be, then it's meant to be. If not, and you do everything right, she'll get hit by a bus. Or Auntie Griselda will call her and ask her why she's not using her slightly odd cousin Hubie, who is a decent bass player, despite one or two highly personal "issues" which family should be able to overlook.

Good luck.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

You only live once. Do you want to say you blew your big shot by being too cool to following up, or by being an insecure, needy mess?

If it's meant to be, then it's meant to be. If not, and you do everything right, she'll get hit by a bus. Or Auntie Griselda will call her and ask her why she's not using her slightly odd cousin Hubie, who is a decent bass player, despite one or two highly personal "issues" which family should be able to overlook.

Good luck.

Post of the day!

I'm not an idiot.

Has this been confirmed?

Kidding of course.

What somebody said else said "more than 3 days, less then seven" is OK. Consider weekend time lapse into that 3-7 figure. I'd advise against not calling her. With some people, that's an indication that you you don't want to do it. You wouldn't want to run into her down the road, thinking that you were playing it cool, only to hear that she thought you weren't really interested. As long as you are not a pain in the a**, and I wouldn't think that you would be, you are OK.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Well, I called the # on her biz card this p.m.; disconnected. So I tweeted her, just said, "If you're still interested in my playing with you I'm going to need a set list." Got an email a bit ago: "Hey Chad!!! I'm sorry I haven't responded- I've been working like crazy non-stop. I'm at [the club] right now :/ I will get at you tomorrow early afternoon!! Xoxo" So I think that's all right. I've done what I could.

Once I get the set list I'll post a Youtube video. This woman really is very talented. Also gorgeous.

I suspect ALL communications that end in "XOXO"

Well, I've never heard of scam mails ending in XOXO so I would say this legitimizes the correspondence!!

And the upside is: the next Nigerian prince to send me a mail, if he ends it with XOXO , I'll know he's a bass player :cool:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Hey, she's a chick singer and I'm playing for her for free. I'm sure she feels like she can afford to throw me a mercy "xoxo..." Where have you guys BEEN, anyway? In my band's world, at least, we get lots of little hugs and kisses from women. It doesn't mean much, though it IS nice.

Well, I've never heard of scam mails ending in XOXO so I would say this legitimizes the correspondence!!

And the upside is: the next Nigerian prince to send me a mail, if he ends it with XOXO , I'll know he's a bass player :cool:

Right on, David! :laugh:

Hey, she's a chick singer and I'm playing for her for free. I'm sure she feels like she can afford to throw me a mercy "xoxo..." Where have you guys BEEN, anyway? In my band's world, at least, we get lots of little hugs and kisses from women. It doesn't mean much, though it IS nice.

Ok, maybe I'm being a bit too formal. I didn't think xoxo meant this was a scam though but maybe she may be a bit too impulsive or maybe she has a crush. ;) Kidding.

No matter as I do hope it all works out for you as it still sounds like the gig would be a lot of fun to play especially if she's that talented and she knows that caliber of players.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Boy, a crush would spin this fat old man's head right around! I don't think it's a crush...

While we were at the club several couples came in who were her friends and it was all huggy-kissy. I think that's just the kind of person she is.

"the gig would be a lot of fun to play especially if she's that talented and she knows that caliber of players." Yes.

Thanks, b5, I think so, too. She approached me at our blues gig and I don't know what made her think necessarily that I could hang with her tunes, but she did think so, and, in fact, I can. I'm pretty excited.

BTW, more XOXOs on this email...

Archived