Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Relationship with a fan base

RetroVintageOld

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Facebook is a good way. Then be sure to go out on break and talk to people. Get pictures of the fans and put them on facebook and ask then to "Like" your page. Then you can post "events" for your gigs and invite them. People are more likely to come if they feel more of a personal connection with the band, like they know somebody in the band. Try to recognise people who have been out to see you before and thank them for coming out.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

How well do you really know your fan base? Do you hang out with them in between sets at gigs? Do you know them by name? In one of my bands where we have a fairly large following we 'know' the people who come to see us; know their names, sit at their tables during breaks, etc.. We treat them like family; not like customers. This is what helps maintain that base of people; they have friends that they bring; when they bring new people we go out of our way to get to know them by name. That has helped us to maintain the old base and grow the new base. Facebook is a good communication tool but making it a point to meet and greet people at gigs and hang out with them in between sets is more important; it gives them a sense that they personally know the band ....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

facebook.com/smokingunsrock

facebook.com/acoustaxx

People are more likely to come if they feel more of a personal connection with the band, like they know somebody in the band.

Hit that right on the head. Try to identify "super fans" that can act as ambassadors. People who have a lot of influence in their social and/or professional circles... Send them CD's or any band merchandise.. invite them to special gigs, backstage to meet you guys.. be creative and have fun with it. :)

Try to recognise people who have been out to see you before

This is a difficult one for me. I was paying for fuel once, and the cashier asked me, "So, where you guys playing this weekend?" I still have no idea who she was. Other times, we'll be out and about, maybe watching another band, and people will come up to us an chat it up, and I stand there the whole time wondering who they are.

Another one that I struggle with is recognizing people "out of their element", if you will. I've seen co-workers out in public, and it takes me a few seconds to realize who they are. I get so used to seeing them in their work attire, that I don't recognize them in street clothes. :facepalm:

Stuff and things.

But, Dan, (or I mean Dead) you are right. People love to feel like they're a part of something. My wife/lead singer/booking agent/etc is GREAT at FB promotion, and connecting with fans. I would say a large percentage of our consistent fan base is due to her making a connection with them at shows, as well as FB. Of course, she's a natural 'people-person', which is why she's front and center, and I'm hiding behind four keyboards.
Stuff and things.

"Facebook" is virtually all you need to know on this topic!

The Superfan idea is a great one, it has all kinds of good ripple effects. Reward your best fans by talking to them or about them from the stage, or even bring them up on stage.

People like to feel they're part of a community or virtual family. Be warm and welcoming and proactive in making that happen. There will be plenty of opportunity to run away from fans later when you're famous.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Interaction, as most everyone else has stated, is the #1 way to grow a fan base. In person and online. And the more of your band mates that involve themselves, the better.

Make your interactions personal. Show interest in your fans, and as well, give them personal bits of information about you and your band mates. They want to talk about themselves, and they want to hear about your personal stories and facts.

Make them into friends that also happen to like your music.

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

Try to recognise people who have been out to see you before

This is a difficult one for me. I was paying for fuel once, and the cashier asked me, "So, where you guys playing this weekend?" I still have no idea who she was. Other times, we'll be out and about, maybe watching another band, and people will come up to us an chat it up, and I stand there the whole time wondering who they are.

Another one that I struggle with is recognizing people "out of their element", if you will. I've seen co-workers out in public, and it takes me a few seconds to realize who they are. I get so used to seeing them in their work attire, that I don't recognize them in street clothes. :facepalm:

If you act friendly enough to everyone you encounter (in the appropriate situations, at least), you can fake this. If you think someone looks familiar but have no idea who they are, be friendly, especially if they're acting like they know you.

Since you're in a band, you can always be plugging the band anyway, or talking about gigs, playing music, how the show went the other night, etc. People expect that.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yeah. If you don't recognize someone but act friendly, they'll just go, "Oh, he didn't recognize me at all. He must talk to so many fans." Except if it's your mother-in-law. :D

Yeah you can't really fake your way out of this. Knowing someone's name is very important. I used to have a tablet up at the keyboards where I'd write down the name of anyone I just met so I wouldn't forget them. Then I'd go over the list at home as a refresher.

Nowadays I do the same thing on the memo app of my Samsung phone. It's pretty simple. It just looks like I'm texting ;)

Archived