Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: music and politics.

rumpelstiltskin.

"...and that's why I think it's important that we do something about climate change right now. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a private jet waiting to take me to my 20,000 square foot villa built on land cleared from a rain forest."

Well yeah, the whole Limousine Liberal thing can have me rolling my eyes sometimes. I love Bruce Springsteen but his attempt to be Woody Guthrie from a mansion in Rumsen is a bit much. I remember years ago Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins at an awards show berating America for our treatment of Haitian "boat people". I remember thinking, "yeah, how many of these people have you invited to come live with you?"

If they would keep $250,000 a year and give the rest to charity, THEN I would think they could talk without hypocrisy about what the rest of us should be doing. If you're pulling in millions it's easy to be charitable. Please don't lecture those who are living paycheck to paycheck about their greed.

Push the button Frank.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's difficult for me to grasp the concept that once one is famous, all of a sudden their right to free speech is somehow curtailed. Famous people have every right to be uninformed jack-holes, the same as the rest of us.

This thread shouldn't be about politics per se, but about anything a 'famous' person says and whether the problem lies with them stating it, or people listening to it as though it's gospel. There comes a certain point of self-determination where people actually think for themselves to decide what they believe to be 'right' or 'wrong'. That may differ completely from the next person's belief pattern, but so-da-fuk-what? If I want to listen to a great song, I'll cue up Richard Shindell. Doesn't mean I'll take advice on how to fix my car from him, though.

Everyone has their specialties, and everyone has their opinion. YOU decide who you want to believe, who you want to listen to, who you believe to be hypocritical or sincere. I personally have no problem with a rich person reminding me that there is poverty in the world. They may have the leisure time to consider this, where my job/life don't really give me the time. I don't mind a reminder once in a while. To me, Brand or McCartney or Crosby or Nugent or Sarandon or Shwarzenegger or Robbins have the perfect right to say anything they want. I'll take from it what I think is pertinent to my life and I'll leave the rest.

I don't expect anyone to be the same as me either politically, ethically, morally or spiritually. that's what makes me...me. I'll accept pretty much anyone else for who they are, opinions and all.

Play. Just play.

OMG!!! I'M SO SHOCKED!!!! So, you mean that hypocrisy is not exclusive to any one end of the political spectrum?!?! HEAVENS TO MURGATROYD!!!

Anyone who opens their mouth and puts themselves out there into the realm of political discourse is opening themselves to some form of criticism. That's a fact of life. But it is their right to speak, so let them speak.

As for the people who LISTEN to famous people or politicians speak? They need to be treated like adults, not children. They do not need to be coddled and protected. They have just as much of a responsibility to be engaged as the person doing the talking. Just because they may take a passive role in the course of a political debate, they don't relinquish any kind of responsibility in how they process that information.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Props to everyone for getting through this thread without anyone calling anyone else Hitler, a douchebag, or an asshole.

That's kind of a rarity for Interweb discussions about politics these days.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Props to everyone for getting through this thread without anyone calling anyone else Hitler, a douchebag, or an asshole.

You're a ...

No, wait...

Hmmm.

Never mind.

http://affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/wp-content/uploads/emily_litella_06-150x150.jpg

Play. Just play.

Hey, we're bass players. We're cool.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

If you had taken the discussion to a place where we had to start arguing the virtues of creamy peanut butter VS crunchy peanut butter? THEN I would have broken out the H-bombs!!!!

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived