Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Muscle Shoals Documentary

Richard W

I just watched this film last night.

Completely amazing. The story of how Rick Hall created the "Muscle Shoals sound," the musicians who served as his studio band (the Swampers), and the stream of bands and artists that recorded some of the greatest music in history there. Hall suffered a number of personal tragedies and professional setbacks that might have destroyed anyone else, but he persevered.

Highly recommended viewing.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been wanting to see this for a while. And if you've got an ON DEMAND service with your cable provider you should be able to check out the movie in the comfort of your own home.

Just from watching the trailers, I was astonished at how many great records came out of Muscle Shoals in the 60's and 70's. I know that David Hood was a big part of the bass sound of that scene. But I have to wonder, was Tommy Cogbill mentioned in the course of the 'doc?

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I watched it on demand. I don't recall Tommy Cogbill being mentioned.

Part of story line is that Rick Hall started Fame Studio and hired the session players (who later came to be known as the Swampers). After a string of hit records, the Swampers left Fame Studio (having struck a deal with Atlantic Record's Jerry Wexler, who doesn't come off too well in this film) and opened Muscle Shoals Studios across town. Rick Hall simply hired a second batch of top-flight studio musicians and kept on recording hits as if nothing had changed. Maybe Cogbill was in this second set of musicians?

In essence, this little town in the middle of nowhere somehow managed to create two legendary recording studios. It really is beyond belief.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

I don't have cable, but I'll watch it as soon as it hits NetFlix or Amazon, or PBS.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

• 6 months later...

Just watched this Friday night. Holy crap, what a story! You just can't make this stuff up. I'm going to have to watch it a few more times to really get my fill.

It's available on streaming Netflix.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Independent Lens on PBS showed Muscle Shoals a couple of weeks ago. I caught most of it, and Rick Hall's story alone is really compelling. He built himself up from nothing. And it's remarkable to look at the number of great, hit records that wound up coming out of Fame Studios. I have to wonder just how much of the conflict between Hall and Atlantic Records exec Jerry Wexler was because of Hall or because of Wexler. Especially since Wexler also had his relationship with Stax records in Memphis go south.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Definitely on my "Must Watch" list.

I will also recommend the "Sound City" documentary that Dave Grohl put out a while back, great film about another legendary studio.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Did they have the Swampers?

I've heard that they've been known to pick a song or two.

Indeed and in spades. The Swampers are a pivotal part of the story.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Definitely on my "Must Watch" list.

I will also recommend the "Sound City" documentary that Dave Grohl put out a while back, great film about another legendary studio.

I saw that Sound City documentary a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed it. Quite interesting and well done.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Great documentary . . . my favorite part of the story is that these players just stayed in their sleepy little neck of the woods and let the stars come to them Aretha, The Stones, Paul Simon, etc, etc.
www.goldsby.de

watched it last night..... very good..... very very good. My wife was sitting with me doing work on her computer.... I didn't think she was paying attention... about 3/4 of the way through she said "this is pretty good...."
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Saw it on the Netflix last night. Good, interesting. I was aware of most of the artists who recorded there but I didn't know the personal details of Rick Hall. He should change his name to Job.

Didn't captivate me the way that Standing In The Shadows Of Motown did.

Push the button Frank.

Archived