Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lou Reed RIP !

Phnymiboy

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIP indeed! :(

walk on the wild side...

love that song - love playing a fat rich fender rhodes patch on it

thank you LOU!

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

Drugs + Alcohol.... Very sad

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Lou Reed definitely had his demons. During my depressed High School years, I wore out his "Berlin" album. Reed definitely wrote excellent lyrics, and they definitely weren't the generic happy hippie lyrics.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Drugs + Alcohol.... Very sad

I don't quite get your point. The man died at 71, that's a pretty good lifespan. If he took drugs or alcohol (and AFAIK, that's his business), then he enjoyed them for 71 years. What's sad about that? I don't really see it as something to be happy or sad about. If that's what he did, then that's what he did. So what?

I guess it was just fate that he died of liver disease...

Sure, it's his business. Personally, I would like to live as long as my dad.. 93... . Not die in my early 70's. I don't think that 20 years of life is insignificant..

But you are right, it was his choice...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

oh no. However, we're all on borrowed time, and 71 isn't so bad. Rest In Peace.

It's all relative. 71 doesn't sound bad if you're 42. How does it sound when you're 65?

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Going through obits, I was very surprised to learn that the first Velvet Underground album only sold 30,000 copies. I was living in the U district of Seattle during that time, and it was everywhere. I had always assumed that it was a big seller. That just came later I guess. It's influence was huge of course.

I listened to "Heroin" last night for the first time in probably 30 years. Chilling... I was visibly shaken afterwards. RIP Lou :(

From Wikipedia:

In a 1982 interview Brian Eno made the often repeated statement that while the first Velvet Underground album may have sold only 30,000 copies in its early years, "everyone who bought one of those 30,000 copies started a band."

From Wikipedia:

In a 1982 interview Brian Eno made the often repeated statement that while the first Velvet Underground album may have sold only 30,000 copies in its early years, "everyone who bought one of those 30,000 copies started a band."

That's a hoot, but sounds about right.

I wonder if Dick Wagner would have ever made it to the big time without being discovered by Lou. Maybe so, but I guess we'll never know.

Still, I can hardly think of Lou without recalling one of his lyrics: "I should have broken both her arms" yeesh! Oh well, that was Lou, pushing the buttons.

I'm sure he got more mileage out of his 71 years than most folks would with 140.

If he took drugs or alcohol (and AFAIK, that's his business), then he enjoyed them for 71 years.

I sure hope he didn't enjoy drugs or alcohol for 71 years! :-)

I hope he really did!!!

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

[video:youtube]

This tune just kills me. I bought this record the day it came out in 1982, and it still sends chills down my spine every time I hear it. RIP Mr. Reed.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

oh no. However, we're all on borrowed time, and 71 isn't so bad. Rest In Peace.

It's all relative. 71 doesn't sound bad if you're 42. How does it sound when you're 65?

sounds like you still got 6 years. I'm 53. never expected to make it to 30 (I'm completely reckless). If I see 65 no one will be more shocked than me. Carry on.

:nopity:

Remember when he brought this song out? :D > "Last Great American Whale"

To me , he always had an amazing and interesting face and presence , as well as the great voice.

(At the end of the song - "stick a fork in their ass and turn them over and they're done" :D )

Brett

• 1 month later...
Was not much into the Lou Reed. But they just played Busload of Faith on the radio. He had more potential than I thought. I might check him out.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived