Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Played a Nord C1/Leslie 3300 last night

Mr. Nightime

I finally got a chance to play a Nord C1 in a live situation last night.

The guitar player that I work with hosts a jam on Thursday nights. When I got there, I was surprised to see that there were 2 keyboards set up. There was a Triton on one side, and the Nord on the other. The owner of the Nord is an old friend of mine, and he invited me to play it. He has it connected to the Leslie 3300 using the 11-pin connector.

I got a 5 minute orientation into the drawbuttons, then dived right in.

The sound was good. Sounded pretty natural, but just not what I want for my Hammond sound. After I was done playing it, I listened, and it had a really good sound in the crowd. Could be that when playing it I was sitting beside the Leslie, too close to hear the full majesty.

As far as the drawbuttons....YUCK

Gimme drawbars that I can grab and shape on the fly. I had to think way too much in order to make tonal adjustments. I prefer to let my ears tell me when the settings are right, rather than have to think about Add this, remove that, one at a time.

This is a really good sounding combination, just not for my personal taste.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can adjust the drawbuttons more than one at a time. But yes, I still prefer drawbars or drawsliders.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Had you played through a 3300 before? What do you think? Did you fiddle with the Preamp settings.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Had you played through a 3300 before? What do you think? Did you fiddle with the Preamp settings.

This was the first time I'd played through one, but I was a bit familiar with this particular one. I had played a 2 keyboardist gig with the owner, and he brought it to the gig. It has a really good, very authentic sound.

This was at a jam situation, so I didn't make any changes. I know that I would not like it if someone played my rig, and immediately started twiddling with settings, so I won't do that. The only settings I'll change are the drawbars and volume.

I thought that the 3300 sounded great, but not great enough to warrant the expense, or the weight. I'll stick with my Vent.

Willie Dixon

I used to be a staunch defender of the drawbuttons, until I got my Mojo. I now realize just how little I actually used the drawbuttons. Real drawbars are just more inviting to "play". Now I am constantly adjusting as I perform.

My C1 goes through a Leslie 2101 and Yorkville Blok 100K bottom. I love the sound and portability. The drawbuttons were an acquired taste, since at that time there were no other options on a Nord. I rationalized that I had been using drawbars for over 40 years, so it was just a different technique to learn. That being said I just got an Electro 4D over the summer, and I admit that on the C1 I'm usually using presets, but on the 4D it's the drawbars on the live presets.

I haven't put the 4D through the 2101 yet because I find the onboard sim musically usable, and my loadout is much smaller.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

and I admit that on the C1 I'm usually using presets

Jake

That's something I noticed. The guy that owns the C1 made it a point to show me where and what his presets were. I seldom use presets on the XK-3C, preferring grabbing drawbars.

Will be interesting tonight. I'll be using my Evolution MK-461c with my laptop running VB3 for the first time at a gig,

Willie Dixon

I used to be a staunch defender of the drawbuttons, until I got my Mojo. I now realize just how little I actually used the drawbuttons. Real drawbars are just more inviting to "play". Now I am constantly adjusting as I perform.

I am trying to use the draw buttons on my C2 more actively. I am at the point that if I had any money, I would opt for something with physical drawbars.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

Jake

That's something I noticed. The guy that owns the C1 made it a point to show me where and what his presets were. I seldom use presets on the XK-3C, preferring grabbing drawbars.

Will be interesting tonight. I'll be using my Evolution MK-461c with my laptop running VB3 for the first time at a gig,

I still have one of those, still basically new in the box. I've taken it out and hooked it up maybe 3 times since I bought it, years ago. Great controls, but I never liked the keyboard action. Considering how many less sliders and knobs it's successors have, I could prolly sell it very quickly.

I'm an ex-Melbourne resident - where are the jam sessions?

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Ocean Beach drawbars. Great product.
Yeah, I love mine, and I have the bulkier older version. One of the great things I found was that while the drawlights were washed out in the sunlight at some gigs, I could obviously see the drawbars with no problem.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

:thu:

had my sk1 for just over a week now, and while I would not say I was a defender of the drawbuttons, I thought they were fine... and now I am having the same experience as you - yes, wow, what a difference!! night and day - seriously... (disclaimer - I'm a tactile kind of guy...)

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

Jake

This particular one was at Squid Lips, which is the old Conchy Joe's. Lou's Blues has one on Mondays, and I think there's one at the old Beef O'Brady's in Palm Bay on Sunday, which is hosted by Bruce Marion of Marion Music.

I have to be at work at 6:30 AM, so I don't go out jamming very often.

Willie Dixon

Jake

I still have one of those, still basically new in the box. I've taken it out and hooked it up maybe 3 times since I bought it, years ago. Great controls, but I never liked the keyboard action. Considering how many less sliders and knobs it's successors have, I could prolly sell it very quickly.

I agree about the action, but since I have the thing, I thought I would give it a try.

If the controller/laptop combination works out, I may look into one of there

studiologic-vmk-161 61 key waterfall action controller

Willie Dixon

This particular one was at Squid Lips, which is the old Conchy Joe's. Lou's Blues has one on Mondays, and I think there's one at the old Beef O'Brady's in Palm Bay on Sunday, which is hosted by Bruce Marion of Marion Music.

I think that's Siggy's.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I think that's Siggy's.

No

The old Beef O'Brady's is in the same strip mall as K-Mart, at Babcock & Palm Bay Rd. It's called Kenny D's now

Siggy's is off Malabar Rd, where San Fillipo hits, less than a mile from my house

With a couple issues that were easily overcome, the first gig with the laptop worked great. By the end of the night, VB3 was screaming.

Willie Dixon

Archived