Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Got to chill with Steve Augeri yesterday

EscapeRocks

He was Journey's lead singer from 1998 to 2006. Great guy. He's got his pipes back from damage that was done singing that stuff night after night after night.

Anyway, he came though my town and did a show. The venue, owned by a friend of mine, asked if I'd help with the keyboard back line setup. I got VIP table, food, drinks, etc.. out of it.

Long story short, got to hang with Steve when they showed up. Ate lunch with him, chatted about life in general and of course the music business.

I will admit that he is one of my musical heroes for not only his Journey stuff, but it solo stuff as well..before and after Journey. As such, I was trying to not geek out. :)

Just a really nice man who loves what he does.

He told me while it is a business, don't forget to play from the heart and what brought you to music.

He puts on one hell of a show. His voice is back to what it was when he joined Journey in 1998.

It was also neat talking shop with the keyboard player. He gave me the full tour of his rig and how he sets up for various songs that we both play. I got some good ideas. He's using a Fantom G8 and Fantom X7. He just carries his plug in for the X7 and jump drive for the G8.

I've never played a G8 before. Wow, nice board. Felt great, and his sounds were excellent.

Anyway, a truly fun night for me, and I was also able to network. Traded digits, etc.. You never know.

Here's Steve and I after soundcheck.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/dandas_zps07c9280e.jpg

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Arturia Keylab 61MK2 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool for you, and good for him. I'm glad to hear he has his voice back. Does he do Journey tunes at these gigs?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

A friend of mine was part of a band that backed him up when he came through town a few years ago, and if Im not mistaken, our own Frank Lucas also played keys for him on another stint recently in Chicago.

Ive heard Steve is nothing short of a true gentleman. Awesome for you!!!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Cool for you, and good for him. I'm glad to hear he has his voice back. Does he do Journey tunes at these gigs?

Yes, he did a bunch. Some very cool arrangements as well. Band is tight.

David

A friend of mine was part of a band that backed him up when he came through town a few years ago, and if Im not mistaken, our own Frank Lucas also played keys for him on another stint recently in Chicago.

Ive heard Steve is nothing short of a true gentleman. Awesome for you!!!

Thanks. The keys player now is named Craig. It really was cool to see a guy I've counted among my stars just be a really down to earth cat.

Watching his interactions with the sound crew, asking them, "what do you need from us?" There's a lot of local band around here who could take a lesson in how to work with production people....

Anyway, was a lot of fun.

David

Very cool, nice one! I'd absolutely love to have a sit down with some of my heroes. As for exploring their rig, I jump at the chance to geek out with ANY keyboard player I find anywhere. Only times I've ever had chances like that have been after gigs, but the players are always tired and understandably only up for small chat.

Anyways, always nice to hear some feedback from the "other side" of the stage, thanks for that!

Nord E4 SW73

Yamaha MODX7

Mainstage 3

Archived