Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Sorta OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Michael Wright

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I m foolishly installing it now. Wish me luck.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Still on Snow Leopard on my 2011 Mac Pro tower. Scared to make the leap to Lion then Mavericks. Everything's just fine right now.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I once asked my mother-in-law how hard it was to quit smoking. She said "Not bad. I just felt like running around licking the baseboards for a month." That's how I view most upgrades. Some have been great advances, but a few made me feel like cutting myself. OS upgrades should be held at arm's length and inspected for cooties, lest your other plug-ins become an avalanche of mismatches. I'll go whole-hog when I buy a new iMac and take up Logic X. Its the next sensible step for me.

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

Funny.. After I upgraded all my open word document fonts turned into Turkish. Lol... Had to change the fonts. Seems that helvetica is not supported....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Funny.. After I upgraded all my open word document fonts turned into Turkish. Lol... Had to change the fonts. Seems that helvetica is not supported....
Do you have any other issues with it Dave?

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

If this helps: I installed it on my 2009 iMac (upgraded from Mountain Lion) with no issues at all. Everything is intact like before (Safari bookmarks are as they were before, Logic X, all files, etc., etc.) - so nothing lost/a little bit gained.

This isn't a dramatic upgrade like Snow Leopard/64-bit was, in fact, it's a barely noticeable change. But if you have a macbook, the increased battery life is dramatic.

I'd say it's a mandatory upgrade for mac laptops, and for the rest of us: it makes your OS current and it's free - so why not?

FWIW-many people using Logic Pro X are reporting better muli-core operation, less crashes (like the one where you have to play a project several times from the beginning to get past areas that some plugs begin working), and better RAM usage (Mav. does something like slowing down background apps-don't quite understand this myself). I've seen comments like.....now I will leave SL, just skip L/ML and go to Mav.......

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

I started testing it last night, and ran into two issues so far. Logic Pro 8 has an issue where the playhead makes everything it crosses over black. Anything that causes a redraw will temporarily fix this. I've seen this reported elsewhere, too.

The other issue is that Linotype FontExplorer X vs 1.2.3 throws an error on launch, though dismissing it and continuing seems to work fine.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth putting up with the issue in Logic until I feel like ponying up the cash for Logic Pro X.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I started testing it last night, and ran into two issues so far. Logic Pro 8 has an issue where the playhead makes everything it crosses over black. Anything that causes a redraw will temporarily fix this. I've seen this reported elsewhere, too.
That same thread on logicprohelp.com indicates this is also an issue with earlier versions of Logic Pro 9 as well. However, updating to the latest version of Logic Pro 9 fixes the problem.

I just wanted to put that out there for those running Logic Pro 9.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

No problems thus far on the MacBook Pro, although it's going to be a while before I upgrade the iMac that I do all my music work on.
Steinway L, 1958 Hammond B3, Kurzweil Forte, Prophet-6, Minimoog Voyager, Kawai VPC-1,Oberheim SEM-Pro, Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Rack

• 9 months later...

BuMp!!!

How is Mavericks working for you 10 months down the road? I've read a lot of posts around the web claiming it's particularly buggyespecially the Mail application.

I've been using Mountain Lion for music for some time now, and it works great for me. As for my non-music drive, I finally left Rosetta behind and migrated to 10.8.5. I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade to Mavericks or wait for Yosemite.

Are you experiencing any bugs in 10.9? If so, are the new features worth the hassle? Did anyone here revert to 10.8 after trying 10.9?

Thanks, in advance, for any feedback. :cool:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

BuMp!!!

How is Mavericks working for you 10 months down the road? I've read a lot of posts around the web claiming it's particularly buggyespecially the Mail application.

No real problems here, with the exception that a kernel task takes a good 700MB of my virtual memory at all times.

They better fix that in Yosemite.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I've been using Mountain Lion for music for some time now, and it works great for me. As for my non-music drive, I finally left Rosetta behind and migrated to 10.8.5. I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade to Mavericks or wait for Yosemite.

Are you experiencing any bugs in 10.9? If so, are the new features worth the hassle? Did anyone here revert to 10.8 after trying 10.9?

I went 10.8.5 on my studio computer early this year, and that has been fine, although I did take a slight performance hit compared to 10.6.8 and my FantomX-editor/librarian no longer works as it was a rosetta-app.

Sometime thereafter I updated my laptop to the then-current version of Mavericks and that was fine, too, but I didn't have any mission-critical stuff on there at the time.

I read about the mail bugs, but I think that was fixed by .2 or .3

Only thing I have noticed, is that if the computer goes to sleep by itself and I immediately try to wake it, sometimes it won't and a restart is necessary.

Other than that, nothing much. Improvements are somewhat better integration/sync with iOS/iCloud, we now have iBooks and Maps, and the new Calendar scrolls up/down instead of turning pages.

If you don't care for any of that, you may skip Mavericks and wait for Yosemite, which seems like a much bigger deal.

I've been running Mavericks for a while and I'm very happy with it. I'm on the public beta for Yosemite but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet because I've been too busy (if I do, or if when the release version ships, I'll install it on an external clone and test it out before committing. That's my standard procedure).

• 1 month later...

Bump!

Yosemite is available now in the app store. Anybody have any news to report on how this affects their audio applications? I usually wait a few months, but I've heard that Yosemite is mostly about things other than audio. Thanks!

I'm thinking about it but will wait also. Still dealing with some f-ed up Mavericks issues (which may be resolved, I will know better after playing a few more gigs). If you have a lot of free time you can read about it here.

I can't help speculating that OSX's increasing integration with iOS and the cloud is not great news for those of us that depend on uninterrupted audio. Do a google search on AddressBookSourceSync for one example.

Bump!

Yosemite is available now in the app store. Anybody have any news to report on how this affects their audio applications? I usually wait a few months, but I've heard that Yosemite is mostly about things other than audio. Thanks!

Unless Steinberg updated their drivers in the past few days, their current versions do not work with Yosemite. I was a beta tester and, lucky man that I am, discovered this.

It was a sobering moment. :sick:

I tried the work-around (below), but it didn't. Work. Around.

KLONK

Here's the announcement:

Official letter on Yosemite update

July 18, 2014

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear loyal Steinberg customer,

As an industry leader, Steinberg Media Technologies strive to provide the best customer experience when purchasing and using our products. We therefore have chosen to communicate relevant results that have come to our attention directly with you, results that may be of your concern in the next months.

In light of the forthcoming operating system OS X Yosemite recently announced by Apple we have unfortunately identified an issue with our software.

The issue is owing to our current installer as implemented through the entire range of our software products. If you are planning to update to Yosemite this fall or to take part in the Yosemite beta-testing program, please be aware that our software products as are cannot be installed on this operating system. Current Steinberg software installed before updating to OS X Yosemite is not affected.

The solution we offer is a small software tool currently available as downloadable pre-release version from our website which will enable a seamless installation of our existing software range on the OS X Yosemite operating system.

Again, we recognize this issue may cause some confusion. I want to emphasize that the issue has duly been addressed and you can continue to use our software products with confidence on the upcoming operating system announced by Apple.

Sincerely,

Frank Simmerlein

Director of Marketing

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH

Statement from July 18, 2014

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived