Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advise on moving an A-100

Analogaddict

Guys and gals,

I just purchased an A-100. It's in great condition, plays and feels super. I'm going to replace my RT-3 chop with this, mostly because I want pedals and I got a really good deal.

The only problem is logistical - I have a basement studio, and it's rather tight. There are two ways in, the preferred way is down L-shaped stairs, 6+5 steps, which may turn out to be too tight. I've been measuring and I actually made an A-100 size cardboard box that I tried up and down the stairs, and it seems to fit, but if I'm mistaken we'll need to go through a laundry room where there's more space but more stairs - and more trouble;

- If we have to take it in that way, we'll need to put the Hammond standing on its side through the last turn. There's no way it'll get through in any other position. What do I need to think about before doing this? Do I need to seal the oil cups (it's newly oiled)?

I'll use a piano moving company. There's an upright piano in the studio that got down the stairs with little difficulty, it's longer than the hammond but 4 inches thinner, and it made it through the turns like nothing.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have an RT-3 without pedals? That's ironic!

You don't need to seal the oil cups. The felt will hold the oil in, unless it was waaay over oiled. You DO need to lock the generator.

And take off the stairway railing.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

PS - if this were me I would leave the A100 upstairs so you can take it out for gigs, and attach the A100 pedals to the RT-3 somehow.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

There shouldn't be any oil sloshing around, even if you have just oiled it. The oil goes onto wicks and is retained that way.

Even if some drips around it shouldn't be a big deal.

More important is the stress on the generator when you turn it.

Hopefully you still have the bolts that tighten the generator down to the board for transport (and then DO NOT JAR/DROP/SHOCK the organ!).

The generator is normally suspended on springs and it will move all over the place if you turn it on its side without locking it down.

Some great information here:

Hammond Wiki

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I have to tip my Hammonds on their side to get them into my studio. Just do it, move it, and tilt it back ASAP. Should be no issue...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I have to tip my Hammonds on their side to get them into my studio. Just do it, move it, and tilt it back ASAP. Should be no issue...

Yep. I used to tip my B3 on its side all the time to get around tight corners in clubs. With the tone generator bolted down, they are incredibly durable beasts. I'd be more worried about scratching the finish if its a pretty one - this wasn't an issue with mine ;)

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

You already play a RT-3 so you should know this.

Leave generator locked after you move and it don't bother floating it again unless you want to record an album with it. The noise is slight. Especially if you are playing in a band.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

if you can get under your steps, make sure there are no weak/loose boards. 2 grown men and an A-100 probably around 800 pounds. more movers, more weight. I did as Jim suggested and had a piano mover move mine about 6 months ago. Cost me $200 but not one chance of me getting hurt.
:nopity:

if you can get under your steps, make sure there are no weak/loose boards. 2 grown men and an A-100 probably around 800 pounds. more movers, more weight. I did as Jim suggested and had a piano mover move mine about 6 months ago. Cost me $200 but not one chance of me getting hurt.

+1

Have professionals do this....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

+1

Have professionals do this....

Will do! I can consider moving my SK-1, but not a full size console down a couple of stairs..! :)

Funny you brought this up, as I just moved an A105 in to the basement studio yesterday. I already have an A100 down there, but couldn't pass up the 105 in showroom condition. I had to do the same thing, tilt it up on its end, spin it and wiggle it in through the door jamb. A105's are a bit wider ( same as C3 cabinet ) than the A100, so at least you have that going for you. Definetly secure the tone generator, loosen the bolts ( 8mm in my case ) x4, 2 inside, and 2 under the front , and flip the T-washers over, then put the screws back in and tighten. Make sure theres no wiring under the generator chassis too before tightening, maybe a leslie switch hook up ran under there ?. Don't worry about oil, its usually soaked into the felt strip that's in the oil tray. I would also take all the vacuum tubes out too, just purely for safety so they don't get shattered, shouldn't happen but safer than sorry, just relised the reverb amp on mine is missing the 2 most expensive tubes on the organ, the 6GW8's. Speaking of reverb, if its a necklace reverb, make sure you flip the lever to lock that down also. Good luck , take an advil before and after, it helps !! :laugh:

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

A105's are a bit wider ( same as C3 cabinet ) than the A100, so at least you have that going for you.

yup, and I'm going to need every inch I can get. The doorway to my studio is an inch more narrow the A100 is deep, and if it won't fit that way I'll have to remove a sound isolation window... Very exciting!

Speaking of reverb, if its a necklace reverb, make sure you flip the lever to lock that down also.

Thanks, it's a spring..!

Good luck , take an advil before and after, it helps !! :laugh:

Will do!

Bolt the tone generator down for one. Remember it weighs a little more. 391lbs with bench & pedal board.

The generator is bolted and locked, the speakers are removed, the path is cleared the piano guys are coming on wednesday to pick it up. And of course my Leslie 142 just broke down...

Archived