Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Piano One free VST

Bosendorphen

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoy Mike! For those who may wish to try it, it's a hybrid sampled/modeled Yamaha C7 that utilizes only 150 MB and supposed to run on a machine with as little as 512 MB RAM (which means it might work on the V-Machine).

Not a lot of controls for tweaking but it sounds pretty nice regardless. The release is rather abrupt but by adding just a tad of reverb it sounds more natural.

I'll report back on my experiment with the V-Machine soon.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Tried to import the VST into the VFX software for V-Machine this morning. The .dll copied over but there are two .wyc files in a subdirectory (called Piano One) that have to be imported as well and I got no "Wizard" help from the VFX program on what exactly to do.

Sonar has to see those files in that subdirectory for the VST to work (and it does just fine) but will have to see if that's possible to work around on the V-Machine.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

For free, it rocks. No doubt about that.

It's definitely playable. I had to use the inverted S curve keyboard dynamics to get much dynamic responsiveness from it, plus I reduced the min volume considerably from the default. After that, the softest notes are still a bit "hard", but for most of the playing I do that's not a big issue.

The biggest flaw is the release, which follows a strange curve. You can set the release time. The release time is constant across the keyboard, which isn't realistic, but it's another flaw I've lived with before. But regardless of the release time, the decay on dropping a note sounds unnatural. Perhaps it's designed to work with release samples, but this piano has none.

The VSTi had a few controls with no effect:

sustain

lid position

release volume

release attack

Presumably those controls work on other pianos from PianoOne.

The stereo image is player perspective and a bit wide. Collapsed to mono, it's not pleasing. Either side is better, but either sounds a bit honky compared to the stereo.

This free VSTi would be a huge boon for anyone who wants a software piano but can't fit one in the budget.

The only other free piano I know of that's a contender is SplendidGrand 136. SG has more flaws (notably the top velocity layer, which sounds like it's clipping the mic or preamp, and which I simply avoid playing), but compensates for that with a rich woody, roomy character. PianoOne is more regular and even, with no flawed samples, and is more suitable when you don't want a "character" piano. That said, don't get the impression it's at all sterile.

Here are some quick recordings for comparison, a demo track I just made; please ignore the sloppy timing.

Ensoniq MR76 soundfont

Piano One

Splendid Grand soundfont

S90es soundfont

I recorded using the MR76, so dynamics is a bit off on the other two (plus I used a different velocity curve for PianoOne: exponential, which sounded better regardless that I prefer playing it with inverse S curve.)

Despite its flaws, what I like about the MR76 is that you can't hear the room or the mic, which makes it easier to fit into a wide variety of projects. Not bad for a 1990's sample set! Note that this isn't my MR76, it's a soundfont I made from sampling it. The real thing is better, but I still use the soundfont for recording projects just for the convenience, and in a finished project the difference isn't significant.

But the other two sound more like real pianos than the MR76. The MR76 is quite impressive considering total ROM is 32M, and I bet the piano takes less than half of that (it's one of two piano sample sets, and not the main one, but the only stereo one.)

[Edit: added S90es, a soundfont from a sampled S90.]

I downloaded and installed it last night. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet. My primary use for it will be for rehearsal and jams. For that use it should be workable.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I downloaded and installed it last night. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet. My primary use for it will be for rehearsal and jams. For that use it should be workable.

I thought you were happy with the MM8 piano sounds... did you change your mind? Or do you not have access to the MM8 for jams/rehearsals?

Stuff and things.

My guess is the MM8 would sound at least as good. I think I prefer the S90ES, for example, and wouldn't the MM8 be as good as that?

I think the PianoOne has too much room and mic tone for using live.

In the above samples, I think I like the sound of the S90ES best, which is odd, because I enjoy playing it less than either the MR76 or Splendid Grand. In any case, it's nice to have options!

Learjeff, the MR76 sounds especially sweet and musical through my 25 year old AKG K240DF headphones. It sounds rich and full. If you own that board, never let it go.

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

I thought you were happy with the MM8 piano sounds... did you change your mind? Or do you not have access to the MM8 for jams/rehearsals?

I am happy with it. But it stays set up at the church most of the time, and for rehearsals, I want to take as little as possible. If I needed to, I could go get it. I'm trying to get where unless I'm playing a gig, I go as light as possible. An Evolution MK-461-C with my laptop, an M-Audio interface, a Volume and sustain pedal, a Vent, and my K10.

I already have VB3 on the laptop, so I can use it on gigs where I don't want to bring the church's XK-3C.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I liked the overall sound but there were some strange release artifacts, especially on the B & C above middle C, that rendered it completely unusable for me.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Learjeff, the MR76 sounds especially sweet and musical through my 25 year old AKG K240DF headphones. It sounds rich and full. If you own that board, never let it go.
Thanks, glad you like it! It's not worth much (esp since it has a few dodgy keys, and is collecting more), and has a couple other sounds I really like, like the SuitcasePiano.

It's definitely full and deep -- a bit too much for many applications, but it's easy to EQ off the bass.

When it finally bites the dust, I'll still have the soundfont I made from it. Unfortunately I can't distribute it with a clear conscience, but I will keep using it after the MR dies, without feeling the need to say any Hail Mary's!

At 55 lbs, I'll be happy when I can upgrade to a lighter board. Still, it's a breeze to carry compared with the CP70 it replaced.

Archived