Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Transitioning from Privia PX-3 to PX-5s experiences

Bob L

Guys,

I have had my PX-3 for about 1 1/2 years. I really love the PX-3 and it has been the anchor in my rig. I've been reading a lot about the PX-5S, and I am specifically interested in hearing from those who have transitioned from the PX-3 to the PX-5s.

What "sealed the deal" for you to purchase the PX-5s?

Is there anything you miss about your PX-3?

Was the PX-5s harder/easier to program (effects, splits, layers)?

What (if anything) did your band mates (or audience) notice about the change?

Any sounds (AP, EP, organ, synth, brass, other) that are much better on the PX-5s compared to the PX-3?

Are there any cover songs (80s/90s/classic rock) that weren't practical with the PX-3, but the PX-5s does a great job? What feature/sound made the difference?

I don't purchase a lot of gear. So knowing what I am getting into would help me pull the trigger! I do think Casio is offering pretty awesome value with the professional Privia line.

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob,

I'll give you my $.02 but I'm sure you'll have some users jump in.

- The PX-5S is potentially harder to program mainly because there are more options available. That being said there is also a computer based editor which the PX-3 never had.

- I think you'll find that all around all the categories are better on the PX-5S. The best thing about the PX-5S is the flexibility and now the growing library of sounds you can load in it. Many of which, at this point actually exceed the quality of original factory presets.

- The synth side of the PX-5S is so strong. On our downloads site you'll find Stage Settings for songs like the Eurhythmics Sweet Dreams and other songs that are "gig ready". Again nothing like this was possible on the PX-3.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Generally, there's just so much more to the 5 than the 3. I mean, you or perhaps someone else already can make the sound much closer or even spot on to what you're looking for. Look at all the Stage Settings on http://www.casiomusicforums.com and the list keeps growing. Frankly, I'm kind of overwhelmed by all the choices at this point. :D Notice how many of them are song specific, which great if you cover tunes. I cannot overemphasize the depth of control and programmability you can get into with this. Yet, with all the people sharing Stage Settings (check out the Facebook group, too) it's very possible you can find someone else who has already done that work for you and all you'll have to do is install the Stage Setting and play!

Some people on the FB group have also shared original sounds and compositions as well.

Then there is all the controllability afforded by the sliders and knobs. These also make it a great MIDI controller for other devices or a computer.

Having the battery backup built-in is nice security.

Layers are this easy. Most Stage Settings have effects already ready to go, you just adjust them with the sliders and/or knobs.

That link in the last paragraph also takes you to a great blog about the PX-5S. Mike Martin has done a couple of great clinics you'll find linked there. Speaking of, I've said this before. One of the great features of the PX-5S is the support from Casio, notably that from Mike Martin.

From a more practical viewpoint, I'm usually the first person to say, if what you have works for you, don't change. Don't upgrade your computer's OS, don't upgrade your DAW, etc. But, if there's a compelling reason that either what you have is lacking, or there's just something more that you want or need, then go for it. I don't think you'd go wrong with the PX-5S. I had the 3 and liked it quite a bit. But the 5 is way more than a step above it. Way more.

Oh, there is one thing from the PX-3 that I miss, two actually. I liked the two buttons, I think they were labeled "parameter 1" and "parameter 2." I used them to control rotary speed when I used the PX-3 to control my Electro 2 rack. Now I have to use the mod wheel or footswitch. It's really not a big deal, but I kind of liked the way those buttons worked for that.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The biggest difference to me between the PX3 and the PX5s is that the PX3 was a really good stage piano whereas the PX5s is in between a stage piano and a full-fledged workstation. The quality of the sounds is much improved in the PX5s, especially the EPs. The amp simulators really add to the level of realism with the EPs and other sounds. The synthesizer section gives you unlimited possibilities. And it is quite easy to program, make splits and layers, and even your own sounds from scratch, especially with the computer editor.

I like the action better, too. And the simulated ivory keys. It's just a superior DP, the flagship of the line. I love it.

+1 on everything, but esp. the synth section. That was the biggest surprise to me. I knew it was powerful from the demos, but only once you get into it do you realize how powerful it is. With 14 layers, the 256 poly and the arpeggiators there are, as Jim put it, unlimited possibilities.

The support communities at CasioMusicForums.com and the Facebook group are also a great resource for help or just a fun place to hang out a meet other users. If you ask a question it is more often than not answered in less that an hour, and usually by Mike personally. I have seen him respond in a matter of minutes.

You are welcome to join the FB group even if you don't have a PX-5S.. we have a lot of people who are just hanging out to see how people like it and to learn more. Come join us! :)

I, too, had a PX3 before I bought the 5. Absolute no-brainer. More better everything. Price, piano sound, and keyboard feel is what made for me. Controller aspect and great synth section were big plusses. Programming is easy as far as tweaking sounds or setting up splits/layers, but can go very deep into sound creation with live manipulation for days. Any shortcomings were present in the 3, so you may not miss them (no expression pedal in, no mono mode, so-so organs). There is great support from Casio and user groups that answer your questions, offer tips, and have ever growing libraries of patches/phrases/arps, some for specific songs. Mike and Scott (above) are fantastic. Great communication and insights, they (and others) will help you get around on the 5 in short order.

Get it.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

PX5s Keyboard feel-much better than I expected and closer to my S90 that I was use to before the PX3. The 3 feels very loose and bouncy.

I like the white background better. Easier to see on a dark stage, and well just anywhere.

The faders and knobs on the 5! I can roll in a string layer when needed, or change the verb depth. Can't on a 3.

Programability-I can't do either well, but the software makes it simple on the 5.

The ONLY thing I prefer on the 3 is midi files can be played from the thumb drive and oh yeah, the transpose button.

Lastly, and the only comment I've heard was from a bandmate who has done sound check duties, having heard both boards. He said the 5 piano sounded beautiful & outstanding. Never said that about the 3. I thought the same thing when I first played it. It's just so much more rounded and detailed than the 3 piano.

Kurzweil PC4, NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.

The ONLY thing I prefer on the 3 is midi files can be played from the thumb drive and oh yeah, the transpose button.

You can do that on the 5S as well - just can't change the "play along" sound once the MIDI is running. I find rendering the MIDI to a .WAV on a DAW and using the flashdrive to play the resulting WAV to work a little better. Good to have options. :)

You can do that on the 5S as well - just can't change the "play along" sound once the MIDI is running. I find rendering the MIDI to a .WAV on a DAW and using the flashdrive to play the resulting WAV to work a little better. Good to have options. :)

Oh yeah, my mistake. I meant to say you can't load a midi file into the keyboard like on the 3. You have to convert it or something.

Kurzweil PC4, NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.

Oh yeah, my mistake. I meant to say you can't load a midi file into the keyboard like on the 3. You have to convert it or something.

Right - full MIDI files must be played from the flash drive. The data editor can convert MIDI phrases to a format that can be loaded, saved and played on the PX-5S - but saving a full-fledged multitrack MIDI from the flashdrive to the keyboard memory is not a function of the 5S.

Archived