Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help!Suggestions for restaraunt piano gig repetoire!

mikecorbett

Hey Brett.. Go back to the original by F A Sinatra.. and check out the arrangers harmonies. The youtube you posted was good.. but stepped over the richer harmonies.

Mr Tee , when will you post something from youtube , so I can hear what spins your wheels? :)

Brett

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three Times a Lady

Blueberry Hill

I'm All Shook Up.

Do You Know The Way to San Jose.

Check Earth, Wind and Fire songs.

Bridge Over Troubled Waters

You were Always on my Mind

Check Stevie Wonder Songs--Isn't She Lovely,

I Wish, etc.

It was Just My Imagination

I Heard it through the Grapevine. Michael McDonald.

Before I clicked on the link, I was sure it was going to be Sid Viscious' version of My Way, LOL.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Hey Brett.. Go back to the original by F A Sinatra.. and check out the arrangers harmonies. The youtube you posted was good.. but stepped over the richer harmonies.

Mr Tee , when will you post something from youtube , so I can hear what spins your wheels? :)

Brett

[video:youtube]

I do not play this style.. but this guy ( Travis Sayles ) blows me away; and I wish I could find someone, a teacher, or player, who could pull my coat, to this scene. This gospel Organ, is cutting edge.

But I like a wide variety of music too.

J.S.Bach, is at the very top of a group of amazing musicians

John Coltrane

Art Tatum

Segovia

Tommy Emmanuel is new in my world, I discovered him here!

Jaco P

Herbie H

Stevie W

the first 15-18 min of Tristan Isolde

Claus Ogerman

Wes M

G Benson

Fagen's Aja album

Sgt Peppers Beattles

Deja Vu album CSNY

And Eddie Palmieri check out, KC members, THIS amazing groove that keeps intensifying the whole way through, hold on to your hats!!

My apology for the video !! But this 1970's recording never fails to excite me beyond any recording, speaking from the rhythmic side.. it is incomparable to me. And I welcome any challenges to this track.. your favorite grooves!

This Latin groove with it's ever increasing intensity.. is my nomination for the hottest groove I have ever heard. An extremely sophomoric idea, but I guess I am a kid still.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6-JH4Pxjt0

Wayne Shorter collaborating with Brazil's wonderful musicians.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

This Travis Sayles, just kills me... reaches my soul as few others have.

Any gospel player/ teachers out there in S Calif??

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Hey all,

I have recently started a new weekly gig playing piano in a very busy restaurant. Its been years since I've done this style of a gig and I am really enjoying it. Its a fairly long gig, and one thing Im finding is that I find my own repertoire a bit fatiguing to listen to.

By that I mean I play a lot of jazz stuff, Satin Doll, Night and Day, Foggy Day, etc but it gets a bit samey after a while. So what I have been doing is mixing in some latin, Jobim stuff, Brasil, etc. Then a couple of Irish reels, and a few pop tunes , Can You Feel the Love, Wonderful Tonight etc. I also sing a handful of numbers when the place is really busy.

I am looking for suggestions for songs that people would enjoy hearing in the background, probably major key, probably recognizable melodies that AREN'T jazz standards,

any good ones!??! Any other tips for this kind of gig would be appreciated too!!

I don't know if Calgary is an homogeneous ( ethnically or culturally ) society, like Sweden or better yet, Japan, but not like USA? I ask because if Calgary is not homogeneous, then I would ask, if a certain group of clientele come to your gig, you could aim your music at that group a little more. Some gigs in USA are a mixed bag, where you do not know who will be showing up. This also obviously goes beyond nationalities, moving into older, younger, blue collar, white collar options as well.

Brett

I do not play this style.. but this guy ( Travis Sayles ) blows me away; and I wish I could find someone, a teacher, or player, who could pull my coat, to this scene. This gospel Organ, is cutting edge.

But I like a wide variety of music too.

J.S.Bach, is at the very top of a group of amazing musicians

John Coltrane

Art Tatum

Segovia

Tommy Emmanuel is new in my world, I discovered him here!

Jaco P

Herbie H

Stevie W

the first 15-18 min of Tristan Isolde

Claus Ogerman

Wes M

G Benson

Fagen's Aja album

Sgt Peppers Beattles

Deja Vu album CSNY

And Eddie Palmieri check out, KC members, THIS amazing groove that keeps intensifying the whole way through, hold on to your hats!!

My apology for the video !! But this 1970's recording never fails to excite me beyond any recording, speaking from the rhythmic side.. it is incomparable to me. And I welcome any challenges to this track.. your favorite grooves!

This Latin groove with it's ever increasing intensity.. is my nomination for the hottest groove I have ever heard. An extremely sophomoric idea, but I guess I am a kid still.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6-JH4Pxjt0

Wayne Shorter collaborating with Brazil's wonderful musicians.

Well Mr Tee , as I suspected , we are completely different animals with different musical cloth's.

I have always been more drawn to Rock/Pop , Electronica , and Classical/Semi Classical. Never been that much interested in Jazz or latin American.

Gillian Weir(Classical on Steroids) is my "Top Cat" Organist.

My favourite Groove? - the first one I can't write about here ;) , but to me , this holds a blow torch to your favourite and blows it out of the water :D > http://youtu.be/akclddBOZBg

Brett

I have the highest regard for Palestrina Bach Beethoven Haydn, Mozart Verdi, Chopin, Rossini, Wagner, Ravel, Debussy, Franck, Tchaikovsky.. etc etc. I just don't play their high art music. There is no music in the western world that is better or even the equal of, in some cases.

As to Fleetwood Mac... my goodness, you are comparing Eddie Palmieri's groove to that, eh? Well, we can still be friends, yes?

Archived