Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help!Suggestions for restaraunt piano gig repetoire!

mikecorbett

Hey all,

I have recently started a new weekly gig playing piano in a very busy restaurant. Its been years since I've done this style of a gig and I am really enjoying it. Its a fairly long gig, and one thing Im finding is that I find my own repertoire a bit fatiguing to listen to.

By that I mean I play a lot of jazz stuff, Satin Doll, Night and Day, Foggy Day, etc but it gets a bit samey after a while. So what I have been doing is mixing in some latin, Jobim stuff, Brasil, etc. Then a couple of Irish reels, and a few pop tunes , Can You Feel the Love, Wonderful Tonight etc. I also sing a handful of numbers when the place is really busy.

I am looking for suggestions for songs that people would enjoy hearing in the background, probably major key, probably recognizable melodies that AREN'T jazz standards,

any good ones!??! Any other tips for this kind of gig would be appreciated too!!

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do a lot of these gigs.

Fly Me To The Moon

Let's Get Away From It All

Lady Is A Tramp

Your Song (Elton)

Anything from Harry Connick Jr. "20" CD, like Basin Street Blues

Sway (Dean Martin)

A Man And A Woman

Wave

Samba De Una Sola Nota (One Note Samba)

Throw in some recognizable movie themes, like The Godfather, Love Story, Theme From 'Romeo & Juliet'

I do an instrumental version of Anita Baker's 'Rapture' that's really nice.

Last Date (Floyd Cramer) is always a crowd-pleaser, and you're guaranteed to get people come up and say "What's the name of that song...Last Dance?" :)

That's just off the top of my head - I've got a bunch more that I can't think of at the moment.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I recall at least one or two similar threads in recent months -- I think Jazz+ started one -- so you should Svengle this topic. Also, this:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2537480/gonew/1/Top_20_Must_Know_songs_for_cor#UNREAD

I hadn't realized, but this thread is for a keyboard player in a band, my question is specifically for non jazz piano tunes to play as a solo player. I will however Svengle it!

I do a lot of these gigs.

Fly Me To The Moon

Let's Get Away From It All

Lady Is A Tramp

Your Song (Elton)

Anything from Harry Connick Jr. "20" CD, like Basin Street Blues

Sway (Dean Martin)

A Man And A Woman

Wave

Samba De Una Sola Nota (One Note Samba)

Throw in some recognizable movie themes, like The Godfather, Love Story, Theme From 'Romeo & Juliet'

I do an instrumental version of Anita Baker's 'Rapture' that's really nice.

Last Date (Floyd Cramer) is always a crowd-pleaser, and you're guaranteed to get people come up and say "What's the name of that song...Last Dance?" :)

That's just off the top of my head - I've got a bunch more that I can't think of at the moment.

Thanks Synthaholic, some good fodder there!

[i hadn't realized, but this thread is for a keyboard player in a band, my question is specifically for non jazz piano tunes to play as a solo player. I will however Svengle it!

Yeah, even though it's a band, you might get some ideas. Also, I believe Jazz+ plays pop (non-jazz) songs solo.

I am looking for suggestions for songs that people would enjoy hearing in the background, probably major key, probably recognizable melodies that AREN'T jazz standards.

OK.

As a pianist, I'd want to hear solo tunes from other pianists. Specifically, jazz guys. But that's just me. Nevertheless, I think a general restaurant audience would like the tunes I've got in mind, too.

My wife? She would want to hear this too. But I predict she would also like tunes that were on the radio when she was in high school or college (that translate well to solo piano).

I think that TV theme music does well. It's recognizable. It brings back memories. And many are instrumentals and easily translate well to solo piano.

How's that for starters?

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

If you have an i-device or android device, iRealB is a great resource. In addition to the "Jazz 1300" library, there are other Pop libraries (Beatles, Stevie Wonder, etc.) that have great suggestions.

Bonus: you can use the program to back yourself up at solo gigs (D/L the jazz, pop, and latin styles - well worth the price).

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Meditation, Desifinato, Garota de Ipanema and as noted above, Samba De Una Sola Nota are definite contenders if you like the Bossa Nova!

Pretty much any early-mid Elton can work in that environment, too, if you work out a solo arrangement...I wouldn't hesitate to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Daniel, Rocket Man, etc.

Ditto for Beatles... Here There and Everywhere, Something, Fool on the Hill, that kind of stuff.

I know you asked for not-jazz-standards so I won't go there, but maybe some show tunes? Some Enchanted Evening (South Pacific), If I Ruled the World (Pickwick), My Romance (Jumbo), My Funny Valentine, Bewitched Bothered and Bewildered, Isn't It Romantic? (Oklahoma), It Might As Well Be Spring, Eidelweiss (Sound of Music), Oh What a Beautiful Morning (Oklahoma), Memory (Cats), Castle on a Cloud, On My Own (both Les Mis), Music of the Night (Phantom of the Opera), Don't Cry For Me Argentina (Evita), Devil Moon, How Are Things in Gloccamora (both from Finnian's Rainbow), Somewhere Over The Rainbox (Wizard of Oz), Old Man River (Showboat), Comfortably Numb (The Wall heheh)

Geez, I think I could do three sets without touching jazz standards...maybe I should try and scare up a restaurant gig?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

+1 to Beatles and Stevie Wonder - they often seem to work well, and for non-Jazz fans it can be good to hear some tunes they know.

I'd say throw in any pop/rock tunes that you think sound good. Nirvana and Radiohead have worked well for various jazz artists, and you can just play whatever you like and enjoy.

And you can easily Google to find lists of number one hits and popular songs to get an idea of what your audience might know

e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_number-one_singles

TV Theme music! LOL! You could do "Angela", the theme from Taxi...very tasteful Rhodes tune. Suicide is Painless (M*A*S*H) works well solo piano.. I bet the theme to Mork and Mindy does, too. And I think every pianist who grew up in the 80s can still play the theme to Cheers?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Almost anything by Michel Legrand, most from the Tapestry album by Carole King, quite a few from Simon and Garfunkel, almost anything by Gershwin, even a few easy classics such as Clair de Lune. The list is almost endless.

I'm doing these gigs quite a bit now. Anything with a recognizable melody that can be made to work for solo piano. I could make or repeat suggestions like beatlies, Paul Simon, etc . . . but do you really need that? Of course not. You know all that already. The more important question is, can you make it sound good with your style?

I'll play a certain amount of jazz standards -- Fly Me to the Moon, etc. -- but mostly because I know it's expected, but it's not my forte. I know listeners will be comparing me with the better professional cocktail pianists they've heard, and I won't measure up. For me, it's a technical exercise but my heart's not in it.

Try to construct interesting sets. Maybe start off with some trad jazz standards but then veer off into something surprising like a lil Zepplin.

I'm usually thinking 2-3 songs ahead and how I'm going to transition to get there.

Keep the rhythm strong and don't stay on anything so long that it becomes repetitive and boring.

Just when someone thinks they've got you pegged as a bossa guy or a ragtime guy, do something completely different.

Of course, some restaraunts won't give you this much freedom, so try to figure out if they're something in particular they want.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Some of my go to favourites are :

Summertime

Little wing

Imagine

Sitting on the Dock of the Bay

Yesterday

Old Man (if the atmosphere is right)

Wild Horses

Space Odity

My own invented "Chordal progressions" :)

I sort of "instrumentalize" things.

I don't like playing "Cheesy Lyric" melodies , I would rather play chords and sing the melody softly over the top.

Must not forget my favourite "Fire and Rain".

I need to have a list in front of me to remember what I can play :).

Brett

Look at some Brian Wilson stuff. A lot of people recognize that , and it is not jazz. I have" Good Vibrations", "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "In my Room" in my book.

At Christmas I also do "Little Saint Nick"

I love Brian's melodies and progressions.

I also like Joe Jackson , Donald Fagen , and a lot of soul music.I also like to explore 50's and early 60's oldies ( like Curtis Mayfield and that type of thing). Sam Cooke. I can discuss this when I have more time.

I love to hear someone use their imagination on solo piano gigs. Honestly, I get bored with the whole " Stella By Starlight" thing. I love jazz but I like to hear something unique.

Was just looking through my book for some of the more unusual stuff that has worked well for solo.

cause we've ended as lovers

low spark of high heeled boys

the fez

green flower street

oh you pretty things

ashes to ashes

space oddity

takin it to the streets

touch me

you make me feel like dancing

things we do for love

hello it's me

fifty ways

come on eileen

take on me

our house

lithium

borderline

breakfast in america

behind blue eyes

welcome back kotter theme

deal (dead)

down by the seaside

arc of a diver

jet

how deep is your love

night fever!

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Bonus: you can use the program to back yourself up at solo gigs (D/L the jazz, pop, and latin styles - well worth the price).

Lonnie - I' m not trying to offend you, or anyone else reading this but...

-----

Is there anyone here who can convince me to like backing tracks?

I've tried.

But if a guy playing a baby grand in an upscale restaurant leans over & presses START on his playback machine, the hair on the back of my neck stands straight up. :facepalm:

And if I'm at the bar, waiting for a table to become available, this will make me think twice about staying for dinner.

I'm old-school... I don't like backing tracks.

I'm not apologizing. :cool:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Lonnie - I' m not trying to offend you, or anyone else reading this but...

-----

Is there anyone here who can convince me to like backing tracks?

I've tried.

But if a guy playing a baby grand in an upscale restaurant leans over & presses START on his playback machine, the hair on the back of my neck stands straight up. :facepalm:

And if I'm at the bar, waiting for a table to become available, this will make me think twice about staying for dinner.

I'm old-school... I don't like backing tracks.

I'm not apologizing. :cool:

Tom

I'm definitely with you Tom , I like to hear straight beautiful playing on a beautiful Grand Piano in a flash outfit.

Ioana's hiding her goldmine at home too much I think , and could easily score these gigs :).

Brett

If you take requests, think about loading everything you know into an iPad. It beats the hell out of schlepping a stack of fake books around.

And I ran across a very tasty reharmonization of "Happy Birthday" a while back (here on KC, I think ). It starts too high for most singers (D), but my vocalist drops down an octave at "happy birthday, dear ____" and it works nicely.

PM me and I'll send anyone a copy.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

You can never go wrong learning a bunch of Ray Charles tunes.

The catalog is enormous and varied.

Everyone enjoys Ray even if they don't recognize every song, it keeps it interesting for you, and imho it's a bit cooler than flogging Billy Joel and Elton John ad nauseum.

Hey Brett.. Go back to the original by F A Sinatra.. and check out the arrangers harmonies. The youtube you posted was good.. but stepped over the richer harmonies.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Archived