Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iOS device for practice

J. Dan

I posted a while back on the guitar forum and got some good responses, but since looking a little, thought I'd post here for a few reasons.

First, this is for my 8yr old daughter. She's taking guitar lessons, and was getting frustrated trying to practice with a metronome. Her teacher recorded a little beat and backing tracks on one of these little mini portable recorders that has built-in sequencing and rudimentary sounds. She could play along recording herself, and listen to it back. It made a huge difference. Of course I can do that at home, but her mom can't and we have her 50/50. It's also been a challenge going back and forth with the guitar - I left her portable amp at her mom's since she can play through my POD through the stereo here.

She has an iPhone 4 with no cell plan - basically using it as an iPod touch. I was thinking I could just use garage band to do the same thing, but I guess it's not available on the 4? My goal would be I could set up her songs for the week after her lesson, and she could take it back and forth with her on her "phone". Ideally, I'd do a sequence that should could change the tempo of, and record herself playing. Some basic amp sim would be great. If she could just plug in her guitar and a pair of headphones, she could practice anywhere. Of course I'll need to buy something to run the guitar into it. Outside of that, any suggestions for the app?

Caveat: Her phone is sync'd to her mom's account, so I can't really access anything from mine without wiping it out. That's fine, I can tell her mom what to get. But if I'm the one doing the SMF's...will the app have a way for me to get the files via USB on to her phone and load them? I've been able to use windows picture manager to access her pictures, but nothing else.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GarageBand should work on an iPhone 4, as long as it's updated to iOS 5.1 or later. I'm pretty sure I had it on mine for a bit, but I wasn't using it so now I don't. I can't say for certain how well it works on that model, though. Amp sims should be cool - GB has some good ones.

There are other apps for iOS that do multitrack recording, but I can't vouch for them.

But, GB for iOS is only $4.99 + tax, so if it doesn't work well, no huge loss. Just make sure the interface you get is compatible with other apps, which it should be.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hmm, I asked her to put garage band on there and she told me it wasn't compatible. Maybe she just needs to update the OS.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Ok, i found out something that makes more sense....my daughter has an iPhone 3, not 4. Sorry. So my ex now has garage band on her work iPad and macbook pro. I still dont have it on my ipad 1, and have PC's for work and home. I just wanther to have a common practice tool. This is getting complicated.

Dan

GB will work on an iPad 1. Or, it did, before yesterday. The currently available version may not, :idk:

I'd suggest something like iReal Book, where you can enter chord progressions and have it play various styles, but I think you said you wanted to record, as well.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

She seems to "get it" a little better when she can listen to herself back and hear her mistakes. It also motivates her to keep wanting to do it until she gets a take that sounds good.

Dan

Archived