Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

compact sampler to trigger sound FX?

bloodyMary

hi KC!

for years I've been searching for a nice compact solution to trigger one shot samples, recorded speech phrases, stuff like that.

I never bought a keyboard with built-in sampler because other considerations were more important (price, weight)

I wonder why there's no such thing out there as a small 16 pad box that loads samples form an SD card or something, portable enough to sit on top of my keyboard..

I could of course get a sampler KB (not really, none out there are to my liking)

or get a pad controller like the m-audio trigger-finger and pair it with an ancient Akai (bulky boxes, not really my cup off tea).

I could use a tablet app for that I guess but hardware buttons/pads would be much nicer, and tablets have noticeable latency. And they're not built for reliability.. btw, same with a laptop, I just don't want to spend the gig worrying if the laptop's gonna get broken or stolen.

Maybe there's a product like that trigger-finger thing, that has a built-in sample player?

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just bought this to do that same thing. $389 @ B&H Photo with free shipping. I got a 32gb sd card as well. 12 pads and 10 banks so you can have 120 samples loaded up. It also has a pattern sequencer.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/SP-404SX/

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Wow, this new Akai looks perfect, I'm so getting one!

It only allows up to 30mb of samples to be assigned to the pads simultaneously. Enough for drum sounds or short stuff, but if I want to trigger long samples, then.. A minute of stereo sample is 20mb. Still, looks like a lot of usefulness for $99

The Roland seems the only ome that doesn't limit the sample size severely.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Archived