Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Iiiiiim' getting a...

Caevan O’Shite

...Strymon El Capistan virtual tape-echo pedal ("dTape Echo")... !!

:rawk::cool:

I've really liked analog delays and analog-flavored digital-delay, but have found that I dig classic tape-echo sounds in particular. This pedal's digital simulation of tape echo sounds is nothing less than stunning! And while not cheap by any means, it is MUCH less than many other echo/delay pedals and units out there, and certainly VERY MUCH less than any Fulltone or vintage tape echo units (not to mention much smaller!). It will be in my eager hands and underfoot in a matter of days now... !!

______ [video:youtube]

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to have a tape-driven echoplex years ago. That thing was amazing - lost it in the shuffle somewhere along the line.

Caev - this unit sounds really good. Looking forward to your full review...

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Well, welcome to the poor house! That's a pricey pedal, fer sure.

Well, I've been saving up for a while, and for the past few months cut out beers, culinary delights, eating out anywhere. Well, most of the time- with few exceptions. Little bits of gig-pay (when not doing volunteer charity benefits, which I seem to do more of!) have helped, too.

Now, I had wanted/needed an echo pedal, a fuzz (that will work well with my humbuckers, and be versatile), and a speaker-upgrade.

The echo and fuzz would be to get away from having to use my DigiTech GNX4 and the PA and monitors (see below).

But each of these would more or less cost about the same, and I could realistically only afford one for a good while. So I decided that the El Capistan "dTape Echo" would give me the most for my money, and opted for that over a really good fuzz or speaker. (Note that the El Capistan can also do a good spring-reverb sim at the same time as the tape-like echoes, as well. :cool: )

I had gotten my DigiTech GNX4 five years ago, in '08, partly for the echos and reverbs. The Strymon El Capistan cost $200 less, and not only does this pedal do most of that- ESPECIALLY the echoes- MUCH better with FAR more control options (as far as directly related to echo effects), and that tape-echo sound which the GNX4 simply doesn't do, with this pedal I'm NO LONGER AT THE MERCY OF THE PERSON RUNNING THE PA AND MONITORS AND THEIR COMPETENCE OR LACK THEREOF... ! :/:thu::cool:

That last point is CRUCIAL. :rawk:

This pedal will sound great with a guitar amp, particularly a good tube-amp, while the DigiTech neuters the sound AND feel of a tube-amp, and a tube-amp (or any guitar amp, SS as well, it seems) compromises the sound of the DigiTech. So I've run the GNX4 through the PA and monitors when available, completely in parallel with my guitar amps, with most pedals feeding the inputs of both. The Right-Out of my Boss RT-20 goes to the GNX4, the Left-Out to the tube-amp. When things are as they should be, it sounds GREAT.

When the sound-person has me stupidly low in the mix- and I'm not talking ego issues here, I do mean entirely too low- I and anyone else cannot hear the delays and 'verbs I'd spent time creating in my programs on my GNX4. I tend to use them rhythmically- not just the dotted-notes Edge/U2 kind of thing, but bouncing off of and in-between the repeats in general (tap-tempo is my FRIEND B) ). With the El Cap, I'M in control of the overall volume and dynamics and presence in the overall mix. (I do roll my guitar's volume-controls down and up throughout as needed for balance as well as tone.)

Now- all that being said, I had the good fortune to run across a fantastic deal on a GREAT fuzz for $99 flat, no S&H, tax, or other charges or fees... !

I'm having my cake and eating it, too, it seems these days...

I have a couple of Akai Headrush pedals that do analog tape delay imitation... probably not to the extent of this one, so I'll avoid further G.A.S.-ing for it by not paying too close attention...

The Strymon pedals are just beautiful to me, aesthetically... just the looks make me desire them.

Let me briefly check-in and just say that all of my fingertips on both hands are incredibly sore from all the hours of playing I've been putting in lately ( :o "What?! It's past 3:00 AM?!" :freak::rolleyes: ), immensely enjoying these two pedals... !! And my well-calloused fingertips haven't been sore from playing in many, many years!!

:crazy::rawk::thu::cool:

I am having fun with 'em!

It's going great!

Naaa... not a bum, just lucky... ;):D

I love using them both with my tube-amps.

I love using 'em with my other pedals in various combinations.

And putting the El Capistan into full stereo-input/output mode allows me to place it after my DigiTech GNX4, with the Fiery Red Horse and various octave-fuzzes and my Plexitube (tube distortion) pedal in front of that, which sounds PHENOMENALLY cool for headphones or D/I use... !!

:rawk::cool:

Archived