Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mod or buy new?

CouchBed

Well, I was able to secure the springs, but apparently they weren't causing the problem or at least not all of it. When I initially was having the buzzing problem, I narrowed it down to the bridge, and I thought it was the wire, but apparently it is actually the intonation screws...

I don't like this bridge. :P But I'll probably just leave it until I can get a new guitar.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Bluesape suggested that you investigate the Strat line, and one advantage with the Strat design is that you can swap out everything, and do most of the work with just a screwdriver."

It is my perhaps biased opinion that noboby's arsenal is anywhere near viable without a good Strat. There's a reason they've outsold everything else ever designed.....

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

The Strat was originally conceived to replace the Tele. They are very different. The Tele is twangier, less ergonomic, and generally regarded as a bit harder to play, due to its slab-sided design. I have both, and both are absolutely critical to my being. The Tele came first, but my Hendrix addiction left a hole in my soul that only a Strat could fill. I never thought about forsaking my Tele, and they are the 2 most gigged axes I own. I always bring my LP or another HB axe with me, but the Jimi, SRV, and Buddy Guy covers always feel right on the Strat, a bit less so on the Tele, which is more of a dirty blues type of sound and feel. As I've said repeatedly on this forum, if some calamity befell me that cleaned me out, I'd start over with a Strat and rebuild a collection from there. A Tele would be next, then I'd worry about a LP or some other HB axe....
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

As to whether or not I like the way the guitar feels and plays, I've never been able to really get attached to it. It's alright, but it's not the kind of guitar that just feels amazing . . . .

So my guitar feels and plays alright, but there's room for lots of improvement. I just don't know if that much improvement is possible.

Excuse me for truncating your quote, but this is the critical issue to me - if you're not in love with the guitar now, especially the neck, don't even start in on mods, except maybe that GFS roller bridge. That's cheap enough to be worth the investment, IMHO.

For me, the neck is the thing. You can change all the hardware, and all the electronics, but if the neck doesn't call to you, that's all, folks. Bluesape suggested that you investigate the Strat line, and one advantage with the Strat design is that you can swap out everything, and do most of the work with just a screwdriver.

So, new advice - keep the Epi LP as a beater, or a trade-up option, and start auditioning guitars, until you find something you really like, and can afford. Don't dismiss used gear, you can save hundreds off of perfectly good guitars by buying used. The GC website is a good place to start looking. As little as we may like GC, it's safer than Craigslist or eBay, and I've found some great deals there.

Excuse me for truncating your quote, but this is the critical issue to me - if you're not in love with the guitar now, especially the neck, don't even start in on mods, except maybe that GFS roller bridge.

That may be the most important sentence in the thread, but I'd revise it thusly, "This is the critical issue to me - if you're not in love with the guitar now, especially the neck, don't even start in on mods."

Period, end of story.

Yhup.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Isn't a telecaster much the same?

As bluesape said, there is a lot of difference in the two.

There is also a lot of different configurations is a strat or tele. For example, you can get a Keith Richards style tele with a humbucker in the neck and a single coil bridge p/u, you could get 2 humbuckers, 3 pickups, all kinds of flavors.

Strats also have a popular option of a humbucker in the bridge position (HSS). The Blacktop series has them in both positions.

On top of that, there are so many different options for aftermarket pickups on both models that you can get any sound you want.

Strats & teles (along with P & J basses) are like the old small block Chevys of yesteryear- cheap horsepower. Everyone makes bolt-on mods and parts for them and you don't have to be a genius to mod your own stuff. That's why I like them so much- even a bass player can do it! :D

There are options for the Epi/Gibson styles as well. There are a few flavors of humbuckers, p90s, etc. You could add coil tap pots/switches to get some single-coil styles out of them. I know guys that just love their LP models and have a couple set up different.

So even though you are looking for more of a 'metal' sound, don't dismiss a tele or strat. If the guitar plays/feels good, you can find a pickup configuration that will work for you.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Does anybody have opinions on the topic of PRS SE vs S2 vs the core models? What would you say you're paying for if you get an S2 instead of an SE?

The PRS S2 custom 24 looks like it could be pretty good for me. I'll try to get a chance to play one as soon as possible.

Does anybody have opinions on the topic of PRS SE vs S2 vs the core models? What would you say you're paying for if you get an S2 instead of an SE?

The PRS S2 custom 24 looks like it could be pretty good for me. I'll try to get a chance to play one as soon as possible.

I have the SE Custom 24, and the difference in price between it and the S2 is about double, $700+/-, as opposed to $1400+/-. What you'll get for your money is a higher-grade set of parts, overall, on a guitar built in the U.S., instead of Korea. The pickups, however, are Korean-made, and the hardware is not the same as on its more expensive sibling. The question for me is whether it's really worth twice the money to have a U.S.-made PRS that's still just a few steps up from the SE.

For the same $1400, much as I enjoy my SE, and as much as I would love to have an American PRS, I would get a Godin solidbody.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Oh yeah, baby!

So far this year, I've bought a Reverend Flatroc 15th Anniversary Edition in gold metal flake and a Roundhouse HB with kind of a cherryburst. I wasn't looking, but the Flatroc- something I tried on a whim in a guitar store- made me a believer.

Since I bought it, in addition to the Roundhouse I DID buy, I also narrowly missed out on a silver metal flake Roudhouse RT* and a Manta Ray HB goldtop...and am now talking to someone abut a Manta Ray 390 LE. And, FWIW, my G.A.S. list still has a Reeves Gabrels sig II and a black Rick Vito sig in it. Maybe one of those Pete Anderson PA-1 RTs in emerald green metallic...

Reverends are stoopid good for the price.

* bought by an online buddy, so it's all good.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Archived