Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Kross vs Casio Privia PX-5s

PianoManChuck

Two of the hottest new 88-key keyboards at under $1,000 (US), both light weight, both capable of running on battery power (AA batteries), and both fully weighted, graded, hammer action keys.

Which one is the best choice for you? This comparison video should help you decide:

Enjoy!

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chuck,

Thanks, nice job. You addressed all the ergonomics with an attention to detail that usually falls victim to sound comparison, which is so subjective anyway.

Somewhat eye-opening regarding the Kross, too (in a good way).

Regards,

Joe

That was really well done! thank you.

If my wife suddenly decided to let me buy a new stage piano, the choice or which one is much clearer than before (and changed...I'd now go with the Kross)

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

So far it seems like:

The casio has the better AC pianos, casio and korg both have great ep's, casio has a far better clav, korg has a better b3 sound, korg also has better guitar sounds - as well as better orchestral sounds. Casio is clearly superior as a synth. Korg has the better "workstation" featutres, better sequencer, drum sequencer, better arp. Casio has way more polyphony. In the casio you access the sounds only from the 100 stage/multis and there's no preset mode, while the korg kross gives you a choice between preset mode and combi mode with hundreds memory locations in each. Casio is more compact etc etc.

But - all of this isn't very relevant to my decision. As i wrote in another thread, i'm on the lookout for a good controller for my small home studio. I don't gig. 3-4 times a year tops. So i'm not going to use the internal sounds of either - but i do want the option to be available for those few times when i do gig. It just seemed really stupid to buy something like the akai mpk-88 with crappy key action and no sounds for 800$ - when for 200$ more i can get a controller that's also a nice stage piano.

So my main concern is how do they compare as controllers. The main things to consider are how the key action feels like. Apart from that there's the issue that the casio doesn't have an input for expression pedal and also no half pedaling - all of which the korg does have. On the other hand, the casio has the 4 knobs and 6 sliders which are assignable. Also there's the size issue. The korg is really big compared to the casio. I want to add a small desktop synth ( analog 4, or perhaps a x0xb0x or something else) and the 7" difference can take valueable desktop real estate.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome!

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

So far it seems like:

The casio has the better AC pianos, casio and korg both have great ep's, casio has a far better clav, korg has a better b3 sound, korg also has better guitar sounds - as well as better orchestral sounds. Casio is clearly superior as a synth. Korg has the better "workstation" featutres, better sequencer, drum sequencer, better arp. Casio has way more polyphony. In the casio you access the sounds only from the 100 stage/multis and there's no preset mode, while the korg kross gives you a choice between preset mode and combi mode with hundreds memory locations in each. Casio is more compact etc etc.

But - all of this isn't very relevant to my decision. As i wrote in another thread, i'm on the lookout for a good controller for my small home studio. I don't gig. 3-4 times a year tops. So i'm not going to use the internal sounds of either - but i do want the option to be available for those few times when i do gig. It just seemed really stupid to buy something like the akai mpk-88 with crappy key action and no sounds for 800$ - when for 200$ more i can get a controller that's also a nice stage piano.

So my main concern is how do they compare as controllers. The main things to consider are how the key action feels like. Apart from that there's the issue that the casio doesn't have an input for expression pedal and also no half pedaling - all of which the korg does have. On the other hand, the casio has the 4 knobs and 6 sliders which are assignable. Also there's the size issue. The korg is really big compared to the casio. I want to add a small desktop synth ( analog 4, or perhaps a x0xb0x or something else) and the 7" difference can take valueable desktop real estate.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome!

Reading your post I'd say you made your own case to buy the Casio over the Korg for what you're looking for.

I use my PX-5S in exactly the same way you're looking to do and am very happy with it. The action alone makes it worth having IMO.

Casio PX-5S...StudioLogic VMK 161 Organ Plus...

Basically i lean towards the casio. My main issue is with no expression pedal in. In my transition from a synth action e-mu xboard 61 with aftertouch (after having the Nord stage 2, which also has aftertouch) i'm changing to a controller with no aftertouch. Having the ability to modulate stuff using an expression pedal - can sort of compensate for the lack of aftertouch - and the casio doesn't have that. The korg does. But on the other hand - the size of the casio fits better. So, yeah, i don't know what's better.
Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

One serious handicap for the Kross: 80 voices (80 Oscillators) / Single Mode; 40 voices (40 Oscillators) / Double Mode

BIG LIMITATION, ESPECIALLY FOR A WORKSTATION.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Basically i lean towards the casio. My main issue is with no expression pedal in.

Behringer FCB1010 (or a regular expression pedal with a MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller) gives you the expression pedal. But it does effectively make the Casio $100+ more than the Korg. On the other hand, if you want to use it as a controller, you would at least have to add something like a NanoKontrol to the Korg to get something like the bank of knobs and sliders you have on the Casio. In terms of physical placement and program integration, I think adding foot control to the Casio is less problematic than adding the knobs and sliders to the Kross.

I haven't played the Kross 88. I thought the action on the Krome 88 was pretty bad, I would much prefer the Casio. I would expect the Kross to feel like the Krome, but I also played an SP280, and while I still like the Casio action better, it was not as bad as the Krome, even though I had expected them to be the same. As a caveat, the sound was not on on either the Krome or the SP280 I tried.

I'd say the Casio probably has the edge in feel and in size/weight, and the assignable knobs and sliders; the Korg in ease of use and ergonomics, and sequencer. Don't know about the sounds themselves, though.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Couple of errors in the comparison video... the Casio does do audio recording, and the Korg does let you edit the sounds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

One small side comment: I was surprised at how lush the Kross really sounds for its price point. Even the AC pianos had depth I didn't expect. Its another in a growing list of Korg synths I'd love to see as modules because the keyboard builds are so crapulent. Let's all perform a light act of rampage and demand that Korg M3 keyboard as a separate controller. I'd buy two of those and protect them like Gollum, the precious, yessss.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Are the non Piano, and EP sounds a vast improvement on the PX-5s over the PX-3? Honestly, I like my PX-3 but the guitars, strings, brass, etc. all were GM quality to me excepting the pianos and EPs. Those auxilary sounds on the Kross are far better than the PX-3. The Kross 80 note polyphony is a limitation and I've noticed voice robbing. The pianos on the Kross are a mixed bag-some are beautiful and others are dogs. The EPs all sounded great to me. The major caveat is the action on the Kross. It feels sluggish but I found I could adapt to it and make it work for my playing.

Regarding the action on the Kross. When I tried it out at Sam Ash Music Center the action was surprisingly good to me! There was a Korg Krome sitting next to it, so I tried that as well. The Kross and the Krome supposedly have the same keybed (Korg's NH, or Natural Weighted Hammer Action) but the difference between the Kross and Krome felt like night & day to me. I really didn't like the action on the Krome at all as compared with the Kross! I've seen people say this on other forums too. I don't know if its because the Krome was sitting there for a few months and the Kross was relatively new, or that maybe the Kross has a different, newer version of the NH keybed. Regardless, I was very impressed with the action of the Kross (and very unimpressed with the action on the Krome).

PianoManChuck

Keyboard Reviews +

PianoManChuck,

Do you notice any keys that have a clicking sound on your Kross 88? Does the action feel like the SP-280? I've been looking to try out a Kross 88. Haven't run into one at either Sam Ash or GC yet. Only the 61 key.

No clicking sound for me. Sorry, haven't really played the SP-280.

PianoManChuck

Keyboard Reviews +

"Let's all perform a light act of rampage and demand that Korg M3 keyboard as a separate controller. I'd buy two of those and protect them like Gollum, the precious, yessss."

Yes, my precious, we likes the M3 keybed......Gollum, Gollum (clearing throat)

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Let's all perform a light act of rampage and demand that Korg M3 keyboard as a separate controller. I'd buy two of those and protect them like Gollum, the precious, yessss.

Have you ever tried the Novation SL MkII 61?

Archived