Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any of you guys played with George Clinton/P-Funk?

scottasin

Because we just got booked to open for them in a month ;) ... I'm kinda ecstatic to get the chance to share a stage with such a legend and hugely influential person on todays music. I've got no idea as to the lineup of the rest of the band, but regardless its pretty amazing.

What did I, the 'whitest' person you'll ever meet, do to get to play with George Clinton?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YO. Mad props my friend.

I saw him in a free street show in Ottawa when I was about 15. Old funky dudes kept coming out in crazy costumes one at a time for the first 15 or 20 minutes. Crowd thought it was him every time. :laugh: I haven't often danced as hard as that night, though.

Again, sweet gig dude. Happy for you. :thu:

Wow, that's super cool! Congratulations!

I sang with George Clinton twice. Of course, I was in the audience when I was singing.

Sorry. I'll go now.

Went to a P-Funk show in the mid nineties when I lived in Denver.

Those guys play for HOURS. Non stop. I left after 3 hours and they were still playing.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Will Bernie be there with P-Funk?

I doubt it, he's got a show with Bernie Worrell Orchestra in Florida the day before...

Cool Just wondering. Either way, nice gig!! It should be a blast, and you're in for a treat when George and P-funk takeover!!

By the way, I laughed hard at your whiter than white comment. I was the only "white dude" at my school in the 70's who preferred listening to and knew all the (now) old school. Parliament, Bootsy, George Clinton, Brothers Johnson, etc..

I was about 11 or 12 when I stumbled upon the radio station in Chicago playing non stop funk.

Tear the Roof off, scottasin! :)

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

By the way, I laughed hard at your whiter than white comment. I was the only "white dude" at my school in the 70's who preferred listening to and knew all the (now) old school. Parliament, Bootsy, George Clinton, Brothers Johnson, etc..

I was about 11 or 12 when I stumbled upon the radio station in Chicago playing non stop funk.

Tear the Roof off, scottasin! :)

Made me think of this:

[video:youtube]

Great short film with a killin' soundtrack. :thu:

• 10 months later...

Caught this episode of American Restoration yesterday. Had no idea they would take on an actual musical instrument.

This is the reveal clip. But I was fascinated by the whole episode. This piano was originally in terrible shape.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI3xesahaGA

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I got to play with Billy Bass Nelson a couple of times in the early 90's. He tried to join the band I was with in southern California at the time.

Opened a couple of shows for Bernie Worrell several years ago. One at the Stone Pony.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Ah P-Funk! I saw them dozens of times back in the 90s.

Got to open for Bernie and a for few offshoot bands comprised of the extended family. Met George a few times as well.

Be forewarned... they like to par-tay. Big time. I cannot overstate their fondness for running amok.

But they are all excellent, friendly guys and they put on one hell of a show. And they can lay down funk for a looong time, much longer than I could dance, drink and smoke doobies while listening (back when I did that sort of thing 20+ years ago).

Archived