Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Has anybody tried tube swapping with their Burn?

Phil Aiken

Would be interested in swapping tubes to make it more difficult to get into extreme overdrive and have more resolution for adjustment within the "sweet spot".
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hasn't it been said that invalidates the warranty?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Are there any US warranty shops for the Burn?

There's Ken Hall Electronics servicing the US and Canada.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Would be interested in swapping tubes to make it more difficult to get into extreme overdrive and have more resolution for adjustment within the "sweet spot".

This sounds like a design flaw. Do you construe it this way? Any hope on an alternate tube for your stated goal?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

New manufacture tubes tend to sound fizzy when pushed. The high and low frequencies get rolled off and seem to get replaced by fizzy distortion. Old 50's/60's era tubes don't do that. They keep the highs and lows and add distortion to them (IMO). I have no need for a Burn, but if I had one the first thing that would happen would be the cover would come off to get to the tube. I might listen to the one that came in it for a minute but I would have a number of my favorite tubes lined up and ready for their turn in the machine. IMO, YMMV, Yada Yada Yada

Try a 12BZ7. They are like 2 12AX7s in parallel but have the same gain factor as a 12AX7. They seem to let more sound flow through, kind of like when beer cans changed to the wide mouth openings. They pull a little more current but I've never had any trouble with them in anything I've put them in.

12AT7s sound great too.

Beethree, I would strongly suggest that you make this request of Guido/Andrea at Crumar/GSI before you go swapping tubes and voiding the warranty. If you are not already a member, you should join the mojomusicians forum on Yahoo.. Guido posts regularly on there and answers questions.. IN FACT, a week or so ago, he specifically requested issues or suggestions that we would like to have addressed in the upcoming release/update of the Burn OS.

Somewhere in one of the Burn related forums, they posted the reasons why switching tubes would void the warranty, and if I find it I will post it here (but as yet I am unable to find it).

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Quite frankly, if a good working 50 year old tube could damage a device, that device is probably going to fail anyway. Also, I suspect a tube made last month (whether in China or Russia if any are still made there) is more likely to commit suicide and take something with it than an old GE, RCA, Amperex, Tung Sol, Sylvania etc.

Might it void the warranty? Sure. Will it be the cause of a failure? Probably not. Is there a risk? Sure. Sometimes you just have to live on the edge to feel alive.

So a tube, per se, in isolation, ought to have zero deleterious effect on any effects box? Burn + Tube = Effects - the tube is independent of the device?

Is there a belief that an old tube, COULD do harm to the device, based on its oldness, I take it?

Thank you JMcS... you are very very knowledgeable guy with clonewheels.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

One good tube made 50 years ago should work exactly the same way a tube made last month should work. Except that the old tube is probably more reliable and accurate to the specs. (IMO)

To a large degree, changing a tube should be no different from changing a light bulb. It is like GE claiming that replacing one of their light bulbs in a GE brand lamp with a Sylvania bulb voids the warranty on the lamp.

Replacing the tube probably isn't what voids the warranty, removing the cover does. Manufacturers don't want people (particularly untrained ones) opening up their products and damaging either the equipment or themselves.

IMO, YMMV, Yada Yada Yada

Archived