Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should I downgrade my setup?

Asa

Hey all, I'm new around here, having only recently discovered these forums after researching a few things, so apologies if I am breaching any protocol!

I'm currently the keys player in a 4 piece band (drums, bass, guitar/vocal, and keys), and our set comprises almost entirely of originals in a sort of "modern psychedelic" style, along with a couple of covers of Tame Impala songs.

When we formed the group I decided it'd be rather fitting if I were to focus mainly on organ, and thus I found and bought a Voce 5+, and a GSI Burn for the rotary sim (around £550 and £320 each, respectively). However, in hindsight I realise I may have been somewhat hasty in spending this fairly large sum - as a student inbetween jobs, fuel and bus fares start to seem a lot more pricey!

As a result (and since the band is just a hobby rather than a source of income right now), I am considering selling either just the Voce V5+, or perhaps both the Voce and the Burn and downgrading to something like the Ferrofish B4000+; of course, the tone produced by a cheaper setup will be inferior, but as the band is non-professional, I don't think a reduction in sound quality on my part will be the end of the world, and an extra couple of hundred pounds certainly wouldn't go amiss.

I'm wondering if perhaps anyone has any opinion as to whether I should downgrade or not, I feel like I'm suffering buyer's remorse, in some strange way :confused:

Thanks for reading,

Asa

Gear feeds the soul.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering if perhaps anyone has any opinion as to whether I should downgrade or not, I feel like I'm suffering buyer's remorse, in some strange way :confused:

Should you get an uglier wife? No!

Your Voce is already very dated, and selling it then buying something else won't yield that much of a return for you.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Viscount Legend Live.

....the tone produced by a cheaper setup will be inferior...

Playing organ parts on an inferior instrument is not fun. In fact, it kinda sucks. Is your Voce+ the sound module without a keyboard? If so, can't you use the internal sounds of the controller keyboard to expand your choices? That's the approach I'd take. Or just get a second synth keyboard. It's not like psychedelic music requires a state-of-the-art instrument. You should be able to pick up something used for much less than either of your recent purchases.

I don't have any experience with the hardware you reference in your post, however I doubt you'll be able to recoup much of your initial outlay by selling.

I would suggest sticking with what you have, and seeking other ways to improve your finances.

Best of luck!

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.

Nord Electro 3 fan &

I have a similar setup to yours, a Voce V5+ with a Neo Ventilator. I have to say that I have trouble cost justifying an 'upgrade' of the Voce; it sounds authentic enough for me. We all know about the authenticity of the Burn unit you purchased so no more needs to be said there. You've already spent the money and both are portable so you could downgrade (or upgrade) the controller without downgrading the organ/leslie sound. Personally I would keep the Voce/Burn.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

facebook.com/smokingunsrock

facebook.com/acoustaxx

Thanks everyone for the swift replies, I think I'm going to stick with the Voce/Burn after all. On a side note, I'm considering building my own dual-manual controller for the Voce, by cannibalising a couple of basic midi keyboards - I don't suppose anyone here has any experience/tips they could share?
Gear feeds the soul.

I'm considering building my own dual-manual controller for the Voce, by cannibalising a couple of basic midi keyboards - I don't suppose anyone here has any experience/tips they could share?

You might find this interesting - from a discussion in 2011...

I've used A-33's and A-37's since they first came out. A minority opinion perhaps, but I think it's a great compromise action if you need to play synth, piano and clav on the same board. Neal Evans has used a 37 to kick bass...

I chopped one of my A-33's down to three and a half octaves a few years back, and it's turned out to be very handy. It's sitting here on the dining room table with me while I work on some charts:

http://www.divshare.com/img/midsize/14669602-f24.jpg

I originally built it to fit between the uprights on a stand-stastic stand:

http://www.divshare.com/img/midsize/14670141-800.jpg

There are two ribbon wires that connect the contact boards to the main circuit board. I cut the bottom section of keys off with a hack saw, cut the case down with a table saw, and made end caps out of an oak shelf. 44 keys is enough for one handed parts on a gig, and it's big enough to use as a writing tool, but doesn't take up too much space.

victoria bc

...whether I should downgrade or not,...

Downgrade? DOWNGRADE?

Sir, I believe you need a timeout for such a blasphemous remark. Please go sit in the corner, stare at the wall, and think about the sin you're contemplating committing.

Downgrade. Lordy...

:)

...I doubt you'll be able to recoup much of your initial outlay by selling.

I agree with this.

Unfortunately, this is why I still have much of the same equipment I purchased years ago.

Anybody wanna buy an Alesis DataDisk? :/

Good luck.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

If one of the controllers has 9 sliders on it then you can control the virtual drawbars within the Voce unit for the lower manual, i.e. the 9 drawbars of the Voce controls the upper manual's drawbars and the 9 sliders of one of your controllers can independently control the 9 drawbars of the lower manual. Dual manual, independent dual drawbar control. That is currently how I am running the Voce.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

facebook.com/smokingunsrock

facebook.com/acoustaxx

Thanks everyone for the swift replies, I think I'm going to stick with the Voce/Burn after all. On a side note, I'm considering building my own dual-manual controller for the Voce, by cannibalising a couple of basic midi keyboards - I don't suppose anyone here has any experience/tips they could share?

CLONK

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived