Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mini Vent review pt II - Hammond SK2

Jim Alfredson

Here's a quick demo / review of the Mini Vent connected to the Hammond SK2.

Enjoy!

http://jimalfredson.com/?p=125

[video:youtube]

Part 1 and discussion is over here:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2533852/1/Mini_Vent_for_organ_review

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds incredible! Nice playing, Jim.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Thanks for this Jim. I must admit, I'm more of a "Preset 2" kind of guy, and that sounded amazing.

I'm sooooo tempted by this pedal, but think I'm going to save my cash for the Ventilator 2, in the hope that it's going to be even better!

How greedy is that?

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

That's because Jim plays "relaxed"....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Very nice demo.

I'm still a fan of the internal leslie sim of the SK2, and while the MiniVent leslie sim is quite good it's not drastically better IMHO. So really it's the diff between the overdrives of the MiniVent and the SK2 that justifies using the MiniVent... is that your conclusion also Jim? Or is there more to it than that?

Very nice demo.

I'm still a fan of the internal leslie sim of the SK2, and while the MiniVent leslie sim is quite good it's not drastically better IMHO. So really it's the diff between the overdrives of the MiniVent and the SK2 that justifies using the MiniVent... is that your conclusion also Jim? Or is there more to it than that?

Overdrive is much better, yes. "Better" in the sense that it's a truer authentic emulation of how a 122 overdrives. And I think the Vent also is a bit more "3D" sounding, especially in the upper end. But I do like how defined the SK sim is, especially for jazz gigs. I prefer the Vent on blues and rock gigs.

I'm not sure if I've asked this, but I see the new one requires it to be plugged into a power supply. Is there a reason why it couldn't be designed to run batteries as well? That would sure make a more sleek unit in my rig without having to have yet another external power supply to deal with.

I must admit I really dig the form factor of the mini Vent over Burn or the old Vent.

I wonder how easy using it as a Stop/Fast box would work though. I know the mechanism, but is pushing both switches together quick work or not.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived