Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Fantom X or Yamaha Motif ES

simus35

Hi, I have the chance to trade my Fender Stratocaster made in USA for one of these synth(fantom x or Motif ES) wich one too choose

First I stop playing guitar and I go back on the keyboard

I have already Yamaha EX5, Korg Trinity pro HDR and some synth rack too

what do you think about those synth

I like techno stuff and house but I like old rock too

thanks and I wait after your comments

sorry for my english i'm a french Canadien

fender 65 Twin Reverb reissue

Fender Stratocaster 1999 MIA

Fender Stratocaster 2013 MIA

Godin Artisan ST-5

Godin LG Signature

Seagull S6

Yes I love Godin guitar

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh to both. They are big, heavy, complex workstations with questionable user interfaces.

Motif is notorious for bad UI, and every Fantom I ever played with was incomprehensible as well. You can learn to program these machines, but I can't be bothered.

Moe

---

Got a FantomX 7 and a Motif ES8. I think the Fantom interface is the easiest to use on the market. Dead simple. Very easy to program. Motif, not so simple. To my ears the Motif has better filters but I find myself using the Fantom more because I like the interface and I prefer the stick over wheels for pitch bend and modulation.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

It depends on what you want to do with the keyboard. I would say if you want to do a lot of sequencing and sampling, go with the Fantom. It is fairly easy to use though there is a learning curve. The sequencer on the Fantom is more like what you would get in a DAW with audio tracks, piano roll editor and visual waveforms for sample editing.

On the other hand if you intend to use this keyboard for live work, I would opt for the Motif as I feel the sounds are better and work better in a mix. I have owned both. The motif sounds you will find in an ES6 are very similar to what you will get from a top of the line, 2013 Motif XSF, in other words, the motif is aging pretty well though both are older boards at this stage.

So it really depends on what you want this to do??

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

To the OP -

This is beyond the two choices you wanted votes on, but when you say "I like techno stuff" and you already have an EX5 and Trinity Pro, what screams out to me is is Access Virus. It seems to me there's a lot of functional ground that the Fantom and Motif would duplicate - at least functional ground. Just my 0.02.

Tim

To the OP -

This is beyond the two choices you wanted votes on, but when you say "I like techno stuff" and you already have an EX5 and Trinity Pro, what screams out to me is is Access Virus. It seems to me there's a lot of functional ground that the Fantom and Motif would duplicate - at least functional ground. Just my 0.02.

Tim

I agree. The EX5 and Trinity Pro cover tons o' ground. It seems that checking out a Virtual Analog instrument (such as the Access Virus) might be a good idea. A module would be a good choice - as there are already two keyboards in play.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I agree with the others. If your focus is EDM of any kind, you would be better off with a VA.

If on the other hand you're trading your guitar in and the choice is either/or, I'll give you my quick run-down (I own both).

If you're just going to be playing the preset sounds, audition them both and get the one you like best. If you're going to be editing or creating your own sounds, the Fantom is infinitely easier to work with. It goes beyond it's large display. As you edit on a Fantom, your sounds are updated in real time so you can hear what you're doing. On the Motif, when you change most parameters (there are a few exceptions) you can't hear your edits until you re-strike a key - which is most annoying.

Modulation source-destinations are laid out much more intuitively on a Fantom, and are often where you want to see them at the source. On a Motif ES, this section is a mess. You are looking at mostly abbreviations that must be referenced in the manual to even figure out what's going on.

I'd say the qualities of the filters are about the same, but you have more choices on a Motif.

The hardware is much more robust on a Motif. In fact, be sure to check the knobs and front panel buttons on the Fantom to even make sure they all work.

Meh to both. They are big, heavy, complex workstations with questionable user interfaces.
+1. I don't know the Motifs well, but my bass player has a Fantom, and I get frustrated just calling up a clav patch.

I like techno stuff and house but I like old rock too
Why not get a "groovebox" for techno, and then (just a thought) a VR09 or something for the rock stuff? Don't ask me to name a groovebox, but I know Korg and Roland make them.

Cheers, Mike.

Does the Motif ES being offered include any PLG boards?

Actually a very significant point. If you like the sounds of the Yamaha DX and VL technologies,then the Motif ES is arguably the most advanced keyboard in existence that still uses them. It is the reason that a Motif ES is my primary home studio board. The interface is indeed challenging, but actually logical once you become accustomed to it. And the ES is still very well supported even today on Motifator with extensive 3rd party support as well. Since the op already has a Yamaha EX5, in many ways that board is a Motif "pre-cursor"...offering some of the capabilities, with considerably less CPU horsepower. Getting an ES would most probably also let him replace and/or sell the EX5.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

+1. I love my Motif, and their Motifator site is incredible!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

thanks for all the reply. I decide to go with the roland fantom x6 because is smaller than a my 2 76 key and my 88 key and off course for the big color screen, more easy to navigate. the motif es still a nice synth but to similar to my Yahama EX5

I think the fantom x will be a good addition for my studio

sorry for my english i'm a french Canadien

fender 65 Twin Reverb reissue

Fender Stratocaster 1999 MIA

Fender Stratocaster 2013 MIA

Godin Artisan ST-5

Godin LG Signature

Seagull S6

Yes I love Godin guitar

Archived