Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Visited a store: short reviews of various stage pianos

The Piano Man

So I travelled down to Glasgow to visit a music shop that stocks a good range of keyboards. Here are my very quick thoughts on a few of the boards I tried. My main focus was piano sound and action. Other considerations included portability.

Korg Kross 88

- absolutely hated the action. Found it sluggish and slow. It just felt cheap. It was so poor that I struggled to assess the quality of the sounds. On the plus side, the board looked pretty cool and is only about 12kg. A little on the big side though. The action was woeful though. This disappoints me, as I had hoped to try a Krome 88 some day (they only had the Krome 73 in stock). Korg's NH action is not to my liking at all and rules out the Kross and Krome for me.

Korg SV1

- in sharp contrast, I loved this action. It is the RH3 keybed which I know has a bit of a rep for bad reliability (based on online forums and reviews). However, the feel of it was great. It was quick. It connected really well with the piano sounds. I liked the grand pianos on the SV1, nice and bright with plenty of attack. The SV1 looks really cool and has such a unique vibe compared to other products. One minor thing, this particular model had an issue with the sustain pedal sustaining endlessly, causing me to have to re-power the machine each time it happened. I ended up just trying it out without the pedal. Has anyone heard of this happening before? I'm tempted by the 73 key SV1. The piano sounds were great, the action nice and light and fluid and I particularly like the fact it has an internal power supply and the xlr outputs. Very pro!

Casio PX350

- Now I should start by saying that I was the instigator of the "Casio Snob" thread a week or so ago, so I am definitely not a Casio fanboy. However, this might change. I was very impressed by this board. The action is an absolute joy to play and quite incredible given the weight of the board. On that topic, reading the specs of the weight is one thing (I knew it was only 10.8kg) but actually picking the thing up really shows how light it is. The piano sounds were decent, without being amazing (in my opinion) but I am sure they would be more than usable on a gig. They seemed quite nice and bright. The mid range was a little muddy (again to my ears) and there was too much reverb (though I guess that can be adjusted). Also, I was playing it through the onboard speakers, so no doubt it is better through a dedicated amp or PA in stereo. Nonetheless, for the weight and the price, this thing is very tempting. I have to admit, the fact I have been a Casio snob is worrying me less when you get something with this action that weighs so little and is so reasonably priced. I think I would probably like the PX5s even more, so am mightily tempted.

Roland RD64

- I really wanted to like this. It would be such a convenient size of board to have for rehearsals. However, the piano sounds were very poor in my opinion. I like bright pianos with plenty of attack and these were too muddy and lacking clarity, especially in the mid range. Of further annoyance was the headphone pre amp which was far too quiet. I hate when manufacturers do this to cut costs. The action was pretty strong in my opinion but I didn't like it as much as the Korg SV1 or Casio PX350.

Yamaha P35

- classic Yamaha. It just sounded so good and felt so good for the price tag of just £349. I love Yamaha's bright pianos, they just seem to cut so well. The lack of audio outs is annoying, especially since the P105 (which has audio outs) lacks midi outs. Bizarre decision making from Yamaha in my opinion. Then again, at £349, it is difficult to argue. Comparing it to the PX350, I preferred the piano sound of the Yamaha but preferred the action of the Casio. I actually think the Casio looks cooler (which is surprising given my well documented Casio snobbery)

So, overall, with a focus on nice bright piano tone and quick action in a portable format, I would happily recommend the Korg SV1, Casio PX350 and Yamaha P35 at three different levels of budget. For me, the 73 key SV1 is going to be very tempting, especially due to the pro feel with internal power supply and xlr outs. It just felt more pro overall and the ep sounds were pretty amazing. However, for practises and smaller gigs, I will not be surprised at all if I end up picking up a Casio. For me, that's the best action at an incredible weight.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a SV-1, and loved everything but the Organs. Sounds like you had the polarity of the Sustain pedal reversed. Overall, fantastic instrument!

Nord Stage 3-88, Kronos 2-61, DSI OB-6, Roli Seaboards / Blocks, Crumar Seven / Mojo61, iOS apps, Arturia Lab 61...

I had a SV-1, and loved everything but the Organs. Sounds like you had the polarity of the Sustain pedal reversed. Overall, fantastic instrument!

It was a Korg sustain pedal with no polarity switch. That's the first thing I checked. I switched it off and on again. I unplugged it and plugged it in with the machine switched off. Then I tried plugging it in with the machine switched on.

I would have notified the staff but the service in general was pretty poor and when I suggested they should hook up the Nord Stage in stereo (or at least turn the amp round so it wasn't facing away from the player!!!), they seemed to take offence.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

I preferred the piano sound of the Yamaha but preferred the action of the Casio.

That would be my take on them as well, and I think a pretty common one.

But if you don't need the speakers, I'd say to go the PX-5S. It's just a better sounding and more versatile board overall. (The basic piano sound is the same, but it can be tweaked in many ways.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I preferred the piano sound of the Yamaha but preferred the action of the Casio.

That would be my take on them as well, and I think a pretty common one.

But if you don't need the speakers, I'd say to go the PX-5S. It's just a better sounding and more versatile board overall. (The basic piano sound is the same, but it can be tweaked in many ways.)

Yes, very tempted by the PX5s now that I've tried the action (on the PX350). Having an 88 key board that feels great and weighs so little would be fantastic. Hoping to sell my Kurz SP4-7 to help fund this new purchase.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

Great head-to-head compassion! I agree with you on the Korg SV-1. I demoed the 88 and really liked it. Loved the retro appearance and the chunky knobs.. and the tube thing just looks bad ass. Great action too. Not a lot of sounds though, and editing is very limited.. plus the price tag.

If you're looking for more info on the PX-5S, feel free to join the Facebook group. We actually have quite a few people that don't own one but want to see what it's all about. Link is in my sig.

Soooo, would you mind telling us what shop it was? I may have to take a trip to Glasgow in January, and was going to call in at Guitar Guitar digital.( Despite the name, they do keyboards). I'm sure I could find a bit of extra time to call in at another k/board shop!

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Your conclusions are sooo resonant with my experience.

1) Unimpressed with the Krome I demo'd.

2) Really liked playing EP and AP on the SV1 when it first came out. I lost hours having fun with that thing in the store.

3) Have been gigging the PX3 since it was released, impressed by the action, piano sound is very acceptable for trio work. I find all the other sounds not to my taste.

But I haven't said this out loud on this forum before - when I demo'd the PX5, I really wanted to like it, as it seemed like a logical upgrade for my PX3 (which I have gigged to death). But it just did not sell me, as much as I would have liked.

As such I've preordered the CP4 (and CP Rest and case) from Sweetwater; my sales rep tells me to expect a November delivery.

Tim

Soooo, would you mind telling us what shop it was? I may have to take a trip to Glasgow in January, and was going to call in at Guitar Guitar digital.( Despite the name, they do keyboards). I'm sure I could find a bit of extra time to call in at another k/board shop!

SSM

It was indeed Guitar Guitar. There's also Kenny's music on Jamaica Street (where Sound Control used to be) GG has the better selection.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

Your conclusions are sooo resonant with my experience.

1) Unimpressed with the Krome I demo'd.

2) Really liked playing EP and AP on the SV1 when it first came out. I lost hours having fun with that thing in the store.

3) Have been gigging the PX3 since it was released, impressed by the action, piano sound is very acceptable for trio work. I find all the other sounds not to my taste.

But I haven't said this out loud on this forum before - when I demo'd the PX5, I really wanted to like it, as it seemed like a logical upgrade for my PX3 (which I have gigged to death). But it just did not sell me, as much as I would have liked.

As such I've preordered the CP4 (and CP Rest and case) from Sweetwater; my sales rep tells me to expect a November delivery.

Tim

So did you not like the PX5s as much as the PX3? Have you tried the PX350. It's not as "pro" as the other two (has built in speakers and rhythms etc) but I thought it felt great and I believe it has the same action as the PX5s

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

Let me clarify - I find the best thing about the PX3 is the action. It agrees with my touch, although these things are really subjective. Other things about the PX3 to me are a compromise, but all of that is trumped by its 20 lb. weight. And it's been a workhorse for me, as I'm gigging it an average of 1-3 times a week. But it's showing wear and I've been tempted to upgrade.

So I figure if I'm going to buy something new, I'd like it to be a substantial upgrade. I had been considering the Nord Piano 2, perhaps a CP5. I want the next board to be a step up - even if I need to sacrifice schlep factor a bit.

That's the context - I just didn't feel like the PX5s would have been a significant upgrade - accent on significant. PX5s owners will probably disagree with me, and after I get the CP4 maybe they'll be proven correct (the Yamaha is twice the price, after all).

Just for me, in my gut, after demo'ing the PX5s I wasn't ready to buy it.

I tried the Kross for the first time and as much of a Korg fan I am i found the 88 keybed horrible and not what they are using in the Krome 88/SP280.

On the other hand, I tried the P35 yesterday and thought it sounded clearer than the P95 i sold last year. It was $379 and in my opinion a nice backup board.

SSM

It was indeed Guitar Guitar. There's also Kenny's music on Jamaica Street (where Sound Control used to be) GG has the better selection.

Thanks for that! it's 40 years since I was in Glasgow, so don't know where Sound Control was, but I'm sure I can find Jamaica St.

If the trip goes ahead (not certain yet) I'll check them both out.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Sounds like you had the polarity of the Sustain pedal reversed.

It was a Korg sustain pedal with no polarity switch. That's the first thing I checked. I switched it off and on again. I unplugged it and plugged it in with the machine switched off. Then I tried plugging it in with the machine switched on.

There's a specific sequence you have to go thru to change the polarity. What you did wouldn't have done it. Power up holding "Auto/pedal" button. When it starts flashing, release button, then hit again. Then depress pedal, let up & hit "auto/ pedal" button one more time.

Very happy SV-1 owner here. :thu:

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Also, why did you sell your SV1?

I hated the Keybed. Same reason I sold my Kronos 73. Now I use a Nord Stage 2.

Nord Stage 3-88, Kronos 2-61, DSI OB-6, Roli Seaboards / Blocks, Crumar Seven / Mojo61, iOS apps, Arturia Lab 61...

Also, why did you sell your SV1?

I hated the Keybed. Same reason I sold my Kronos 73. Now I use a Nord Stage 2.

I've owned 2 SV1's (and a late model Kronos 88 with the newer RH3) and sold them for the same reason. I liked the keybed at first, but the more I played it the more I hated it. When I bought the second one(which was too good a deal I couldn't pass up) I didn't keep it a week. Same goes for the piano sounds in the SV1, grew to hate them. In the end the only thing I liked about the SV1 was the Wurly's.

I've presently own a PX5S and recently owned the PX350. Between the 2 the PX5S is much better. However, the pianos in the PX5S are not great IMO(still better than the SV1), but I love the action and use it as a controller for my Kronos 61 or various VST pianos.

Bottom line I would recommend the Casio PX5S over the SV1. Better pianos, better action, good EP's, lighter weight, better price.

Casio PX-5S...StudioLogic VMK 161 Organ Plus...

"Korg SV1.. nice and bright with plenty of attack.." ... "..Yamaha P35- classic Yamaha. I love Yamaha's bright pianos, they just seem to cut so well.."
I guess this is where I generally disagree with the popular vote. A good piano sound isn't necessarily a sound that is bright and cuts, rather, IMO, it is how well it replicates the sound of a true acoustic piano. Said another way, brighter doesn't necessarily equate to it sounding better. I can get a dark piano to 'cut' through the mix by turning it up in the mix. Different strokes for different folks.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

"Korg SV1.. nice and bright with plenty of attack.." ... "..Yamaha P35- classic Yamaha. I love Yamaha's bright pianos, they just seem to cut so well.."
I guess this is where I generally disagree with the popular vote. A good piano sound isn't necessarily a sound that is bright and cuts, rather, IMO, it is how well it replicates the sound of a true acoustic piano. Said another way, brighter doesn't necessarily equate to it sounding better. I can get a dark piano to 'cut' through the mix by turning it up in the mix. Different strokes for different folks.

+1!

Casio PX-5S...StudioLogic VMK 161 Organ Plus...

In the end the only thing I liked about the SV1 was the Wurly's.

Interesting. That's my least favorite part of the SV-1 (other than the obvious things like the poor organ offerings, but I didn't get mine to cover organ sounds). Definitely reinforces the idea of "different strokes..."

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I recently got a Kronos 73 and I think it is a fine keybed for a workstation, but it is not a great keybed for a stage piano - I vastly prefer my CP5 or StudioLogic VMK1176 (same as the Nord, Kurzweil etc.) It's funny that everyone has different opinions on which keybed they prefer.

I have a CP4 on order for a gigging board as the CP5 is too much to lug around. Regardless of the keybed, the Kronos is a lot of fun to mess around with but a stage piano it is not. For acoustic pianos I like the Ivory American Grand better and for playing jazz I like the CP5 more.

Always nice to read the opinions of others.

Although you mentioned the Kross and TimWat spoke of the Krome, I have a Krome sitting in the corner, purchased with the Acoustic Piano Live setting and being disappointed, regardless of the some 3 gig of waveform.

I keep going back to the Yamaha MOX piano and now actually use the SK2s piano, most of my piano parts are not "exposed" and I try to use one board for the gig.

I had a PX3 and loved the piano but the organ and horn sounds were lacking for my needs.

I appreciate your review.

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Archived