Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Free Mello(tron)

Joe Muscara

I saw this in the new issue of Keyboard last night.

UVI is giving away Mello, their sampled Mellotron. The one caveat is that like all their products, it requires iLok. For those of you with iLok or willing to get one "free" from them (see their site for details), it's a pretty cool deal.

http://www.uvi.net

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Followed all the way to their FB page and then the coupon thing didn't work. :(

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I have an iLok for MOTU's Si and its been rock-solid, but getting it there was a real PITA. I prefer not to tackle adding to that, no dis intended for those who still use them. They're merely annoying and not a complete train wreck at all. Its a shame that the makers and honest users have to eat it because krakers are so prominent. It baffles me when the software is insanely inexpensive now and you get invaluable access to updates, reduced-cost upgrades for registered owners and user groups that can save your @$$.

More on-topic, I'm saving shekels for M-Tron Pro. There are good things to be said for IK Multimedia's SampleTron, but M-Tron has a major secret weapon: a library drawn from fanatical users. It contains goodies like a huge tutti pipe organ on the lower end and a sweet castrati choir on the top. Its not what you normally think of when you hear "Mellotron." Both of these apps have engaging GUIS, as well. Sure, its "just" a Mellotron, but IMO, this approach is best because it provides some good synth tools for sculpting and no $#@! tape racks. Very basic cheap/free 'trons are nice, but I'm itchy to up my game and the anthemic Big Three can't do it alone. It seems wisest to build your system vertically more than horizontally, focusing on usability per unit rather than sheer numbers of them. There's a cutoff point between novelty and true utility. So if you just want those lush strings for use behind ballads, its certainly credible. I simply feel called to weirder lands.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

• 1 month later...
anyone have a link to where this is? didn't see anything on uvi.net

UVI Official The free Mello campaign reached its end on October 24! Nevertheless, we will put the free AP-09 up again soon!

RATS!!!

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

MF is giving away copies with the recording contest entry

here

h

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

• 3 months later...
Its a shame that the makers and honest users have to eat it because krakers are so prominent.

The shameful part is that iLok only causes grief for the casual user, while "krakers" easily hack their way around it. So the thieves get a better user experience than the honest buyer.

This is available again.

http://www.uvi.net/en/vintage-corner/mello.html

Add the words "UVI24MELLO" in the voucher line at checkout.

Busch.

The thing just simply downloads, no checkout. Am I missing something here? I do have iLok. Thanks.

Odd, I went into the UVI store, then the Mello product details. I clicked Download and it went into my cart. You don't need an iLok account to check out, though you'll need it to register Mello.

Everyone, you don't need a physical iLok! I set up a free iLok manager account and simply authorized my computer. You have to download the Mello RAR and uviWorkstation and if you're doing software iLok you need LicenseSupportInstaller from the iLok site, as well.

I followed the registration link on the UVI site which required my Mello authkey and my iLok account name. After installing all the software, I had to launch the iLok License Manager and log in. Then you click the check mark button on the upper right to activate the computer.

Hope that helps.

-jb

Archived